Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Hotel near UCC

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for suggestions for a hotel for one night on the 26th Oct. I'll be at an event in the Gaol (by UCC) and when I check Jurys its €209 for 1 night .... I dont want to stay in a hostel but dont want to spend too much.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

6th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cork is very small 6th, the walk from any hotel in the City area to UCC will be 10 minutes tops. I would recommend Jurys first (But the price is mad), and after that, try the Clarion, the Imperial, the Victoria (For cheap and cheerful), or Jury's Inn (For beds made from bricks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

That seems very expensive for Jurys I stayed there about two weeks ago and it was €189 for two of us on a Saturday night B&B.
    Did you ring them or just check the price online?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I checked online ... maybe I'll try ring them just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

6th wrote: »
    I checked online ... maybe I'll try ring them just to clarify.

Gotta remember that that is the bank holiday weekend, so things will be pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And the Jazz Festival is on too, so prices will be wild everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The Brookfield hotel is near UCC, a little bit further from town. There also are lots of B&Bs in the Western Road area, do a search for Glengariff House, Anam Cara, Shandon Bells. (the first ones I can think of). They tend to be expensive in that part of town though.
    Also try the Quality Hotel in Shandon, probably about 15 mins from UCC and 10 mins from the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

They picked a bad weekend for the World Ghost Convention.

Weekend before Halloween? ... pretty good timing actually.

Ah yes, but if it were on the following weekend, it would be perfect, and you wouldn't have to contend with bank holiday madness ;)

Try the Western Road B&Bs and the Quality Hotel first, they're probably the most convenient for Sunday's Well (where the old Gaol is). The Kingsley hotel is also nearby, expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

http://www.lancasterlodge.com/

It's kind of a hotel-cum-B&B on Western Road - across the river from the Gaol (note: the Gaol is on Strawberry Hill - not actually that near UCC. In Dublin terms it is, but not in Cork terms :))

Hope you have a great time - this is a rare treat for you, you know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is the Bank Holiday weekend and the Jazz Festival to boot. I'm staying at Jury's next week (Tues) for work and its only costing 115 yoyo.

As other posters said, Cork is small and other hotels will be close. Otherwise there are lots of B&Bs on the Western Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Hayfield Manor is the five-star hotel around there. Give that one a skip I'd say.
    Yep OP, Western Road is also known as B&B Street (well it isn't really but it could be...)

Also if you wanna treat yourself try the Kingsley... (it's expensive afaik though)

TBH any hotel in the city would suit, cork being as small as it is... And if all comes to all, the no.5 bus will drop you to the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Garnish House (I think that's the name) on Western Road (right by UCC). It's supposed to be lovely but probably booked out at this stage. You should give it a try.

Brookfield is a three star with a nice leisure centre, usually reasonable, although normality goes out the window on the jazz weekend.
    Garinish House is supposed to be good too. You could also try the IYHA hostel, also on Western Road.
    The last refuge for the desperate is to stay in the Travelodge on the N25/N27 junction and taxi it in and out, probably about a tenner each way, which might cancel out any savings on the room rate. It's pretty desolate out there though...

Where's that? Kinsale Road Roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes.

There's also the Ibis out near the Dunkettle roundabout.

I checked with Jurys and it was €209 for bed only ... so I booked Quality Hotels for €119 bed only.

• Advertisement

That's not too bad.

Where's the quality hotel??

map.jpg

Shandon - about 15, 20 minutes' walk from the Gaol.

Advertisement