Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .223

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

has anybody had any experience with this rifle? i have a remmy 700 in 308 and love it, im thinking of going for a .223 and at the minute its between the SPS Varmint and the Tikka T3 Tactical....the price difference between the two would be a good peice of glass and a fantasic peice of glass!!! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mac Tire wrote: »
    has anybody had any experience with this rifle? i have a remmy 700 in 308 and love it, im thinking of going for a .223 and at the minute its between the SPS Varmint and the Tikka T3 Tactical....the price difference between the two would be a good peice of glass and a fantasic peice of glass!!! ;)
    No experience with it I'm afraid, but it certainly looks pretty impressive on paper/screen-
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

yeah it ticks all the boxes nicely....im leaning towards it, not just because of the price difference, but as i can set it up indentical to my 308, a set up which i find to be quiet good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Any particular reason for going SPS? I have a VL SS Thumbhole and am very happy with it, have shot 17REM's VSSF II also and they're both great rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

personal preference really....i know were you are coming from with the VLSS, its a beautiful rifle, i have the VLS!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tha Dev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am also leaning towards an sps varmint but in 204 ruger, some good comments on the web.
    However the Howa axiom has also caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dermo72

I have a .223 sps for the past year and a half find it brilliant, i do alot of fox shooting and have no problems out to 250/300 yards depending on what ammo you use.

i would go for the .223, i had a .204 ruger and would not reconmend it when i put a t3 silencer onto it it would not zero at all ended up leaving it back to dealer, he later told me he had same trouble with others who had bought these guns and tried to silence them. I now shoot a rem .223 and can not recomend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dermo72 wrote: »
    i would go for the .223, i had a .204 ruger and would not reconmend it when i put a t3 silencer onto it it would not zero at all ended up leaving it back to dealer, he later told me he had same trouble with others who had bought these guns and tried to silence them. I now shoot a rem .223 and can not recomend it enough.

T3 ? Haven't heard of these ?

I've modereated a 204 with a T4, no problems. Maybe threading job was dodgy ?

No dont think the Threading jod was the problem done by the place i purchased gun, my friend bought a .204 the same day as me in the same place and he had same trouble would just not group. I have spoke to the shop owner and he eas since got out of .204 altogether to much trouble he told me ????????????????. The t3 is next down to the t4.

• Advertisement

dermo72 wrote: »
    No dont think the Threading jod was the problem done by the place i purchased gun, my friend bought a .204 the same day as me in the same place and he had same trouble would just not group. I have spoke to the shop owner and he eas since got out of .204 altogether to much trouble he told me ????????????????. The t3 is next down to the t4.

Dodgy threading/moderators I'd say. T3 new one on me ............. are moderators actully for centrefires ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

never heard of a t3. im getting a t8 for my .243 only hope the accuracy remains the same.

pm. wrote: »
    hope the accuracy remains the same.

It may improve slightly as it will reduce recoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

pm. wrote: »
    never heard of a t3. im getting a t8 for my .243 only hope the accuracy remains the same.

a properly fitted moderator will not degrade accuracy it should improve it as the bullet exits the muzzle into still air within the moderators chamber,
    so its starts its free flight in consistant controlled conditions unaffected by side winds or sudden gusts , one point of safety that you should be aware off is that if you fire off a load that the rifle twist is unable to stabilise and the bullet begins to yaw on leaving the barrel you could have
    a problem......be aware of bullet weight/twist.icon3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jbarry

Hey Foxshooter, you know when you say you could have a problem
    what do you mean?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

jbarry wrote: »
    Hey Foxshooter, you know when you say you could have a problem
    what do you mean?
    Cheers.

take this example , if someone handloads for a 223 and decides to try heavy bullets eg; 69 grain -sierra matchkings and doesnt have a fast enough twist to stabilise them-then shoots them through his rifle equipped with a moderator -then that bullet being unstable leaving the barrel could begin to tumble-and the gap that the bullet is travelling through is not much bigger than calibre-so you can guess the rest-its just something to think about-just something to consider if trying different bullet weights when reloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

take this example , if someone handloads for a 223 and decides to try heavy bullets eg; 69 grain -sierra matchkings and doesnt have a fast enough twist to stabilise them-then shoots them through his rifle equipped with a moderator -then that bullet being unstable leaving the barrel could begin to tumble-and the gap that the bullet is travelling through is not much bigger than calibre-so you can guess the rest-its just something to think about-just something to consider if trying different bullet weights when reloading.

good point, i just got my t8 went out the back to shoot it cut the noise by 75 to 80 % i use 70 grain in my .243, my buddy has a swift he also uses a t8 but mine is still a fair bit louder the kick is almost gone tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yea theres no compition between the remy and the tikka!!!
    its the tikka all the way! if you can afford it!! the SPS is a very plain gun!
    the T3 is an awsome piece of kit! and it comes focory threaded and with adjustable stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

The T3 is a rifle not a moderator!!!!!
    (tikka T3)

Advertisement