Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for playground tiles

• 18-10-2007 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

The brother is looking for outdoor playground tiles for his back garden
    (There to stop his kids smashing their faces when they fall off the swing and playhouse :eek:.)

He was looking at the metre-sq ones, but there pricey..anybody know of any good deals at the moment..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The brother is looking for outdoor playground tiles for his back garden
    (There to stop his kids smashing their faces when they fall off the swing and playhouse :eek:.)

He was looking at the metre-sq ones, but there pricey..anybody know of any good deals at the moment..?

A lot cheaper than the cost of repairing a smashed face or cracked skull, I would have thought. Often wonder why people are so focussed on the price rather than the obvious benefit. I suppose you could always ask children not to play, but that's probably unrealistic?

Try Rubberlok in Baldoyle IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

i saw an add on ebay for rubber "bark mulch" they shred tyres into mulch, comes in different colours, not sure of price or if still available, but worth a search. If you can get it, then it would give proberably give the same bounce as the tiles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Thanks Guys and "Sonnenblumen" your right about price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For our kids playarea I got some rubber matting from a tool supplier, it has big holes moulded in it and is used for workshop flooring.
    I like it because you can put it on grass and it allows the grass to grow through, making it less obtrusive.
    I think for a 2x1m mat it was €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I picked up some foam mats in Smiths last year to put down on some cobblelock that the kids had a small slide on. It fits together like a jigsaw and I thought it would only last a short while before degrading. But more than a year later it is still as good as new. Really it's only suitable on a solid surface rather than on grass or soil but it might help someone out.

http://www.smythstoys.com/Shop_Product_Detail.aspx?pcode=D05294

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Argos have rubber mats for play area. I too have tried to source those tiles. Will try the place recommended by Sonn. You can get play bark type mulch also from a crowd in Co Galway. They deliver nationwide. But you'd have to put down a weed matting underneath it and you will still get weeds on the surface...plus stray cats like mulch for toileting in. I think we will go for rubber matting or tiles if we can get them....less grass to cut and less chance of weeds coming up!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there are about 60 companies in ireland who deal with rubber mattering and i have probably dealth with all of them at some stage. Rather then listing the companies for you, if you go on to yellowpages.ie and type in the product of playgrounds, it will bring up a list of all the companies in ireland.

I cant recommend one over the other they all pretty much the same except in price

irishbird wrote: »
    there are about 60 companies in ireland who deal with rubber mattering and i have probably dealth with all of them at some stage. Rather then listing the companies for you, if you go on to yellowpages.ie and type in the product of playgrounds, it will bring up a list of all the companies in ireland.

I cant recommend one over the other they all pretty much the same except in price

You seem to be confusing rubber mats with rubber tiles apart from being quite different in function and appearance there is also significant price differences. But leaving that aside your assesment that they are the 'same' apart from 'price' is utter nonsense. I mean would you apply similar logic to other products, such as paving, cars, ladders, lawnmowers etc etc?

Of course not, so why bother?? One wonders what dealings you had to make such a silly comment?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You seem to be confusing rubber mats with rubber tiles apart from being quite different in function and appearance there is also significant price differences. But leaving that aside your assesment that they are the 'same' apart from 'price' is utter nonsense. I mean would you apply similar logic to other products, such as paving, cars, ladders, lawnmowers etc etc?

Of course not, so why bother?? One wonders what dealings you had to make such a silly comment?

i work with the design and maintence of childrens playgrounds on a daily basis, if you want any other information please feel free to PM me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

You seem to be confusing rubber mats with rubber tiles apart from being quite different in function and appearance there is also significant price differences. But leaving that aside your assessment that they are the 'same' apart from 'price' is utter nonsense. I mean would you apply similar logic to other products, such as paving, cars, ladders, lawnmowers etc etc?

Well judging by irishbird's comment on working with children's playgrounds on a daily basis, I would give her the benefit of doubt on perhaps a wrongly worded comment. Either way I don't see the need for such a harsh rebuttal.

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    i work with the design and maintence of childrens playgrounds on a daily basis, if you want any other information please feel free to PM me

That does surprise me because in my opinion any modest experience/investigation of this area one would quickly conclude:

(a) that there is significant difference in product specification and consequently performance and
    (b) not dissimilar to other product groups, there can be a great deal of product overselling resulting in some being unable to distinguish fact from marketing hype.

IMO I've always fround the more professional the supplier company, the more realistic the marketing claims.

delly wrote: »
    Well judging by irishbird's comment on working with children's playgrounds on a daily basis, I would give her the benefit of doubt on perhaps a wrongly worded comment. Either way I don't see the need for such a harsh rebuttal.

Hi Delly, I am very sorry but it was never my intention to be harsh etc. But I was surprised, very surprised by Irishbird's comment especially in light of her experience. Anyways I stand over my earlier recommendation, and I'm sure if Irishbird can offer any useful info/feedback on Rubberlok to OP, well that'll be that then?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi Delly, I am very sorry but it was never my intention to be harsh etc. But I was surprised, very surprised by Irishbird's comment especially in light of her experience. Anyways I stand over my earlier recommendation, and I'm sure if Irishbird can offer any useful info/feedback on Rubberlok to OP, well that'll be that then?
    Sounds fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Apologies for resurecting a dead thread, but has anyone here experience of using the 'rubber mulch'? I'm thinking of creating a play area in my back garden and this might be a cheap alternative. Can anyone share their experiences with this stuff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement