Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal Error Opening Excel File

• 18-10-2007 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Howdy!

I have a problem here that I'm hoping very much somebody can help me with. I have an excel file on my hard drive and everytime I try to open it I get the horrible "Excel has generated errors and will be closed, an error log is being created" and all my excel programs shut down. I need this file badly and was actually in the process of backing up my files when this happened. Any ideas? The file is 3mb in size, has macros and is password protected. I get to the stage when I have entered password and it starts opening the doc up then crashes out. Any help would be really appreciated. File is very important to me.

Thanks a mill,
    Gumby.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it didn't have a password I'd have said use openoffice

which version of excel is it in ?
    a later version might just open it

Supercalc used to save backup copies of spreadsheets by default, but that was a quarter of a century ago. I have utter contempt for Microsoft for not having this feature on by default considering how likely excel files are to get damaged. I also don't like the way the backup files are editable by default , this really confuses some people from the left hand of the bell curve

To get excel to make backup copies, which would have preserved the previous working copy of the file
    File
    Save As
    Tools
    General Options
    Always Create Backup
    then when you save say YES to the scary message warning you against saving your file (go figure)

You have to repeat this for each file you use Or you could edit the excel template

Advertisement