Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Base Mix

• 18-10-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,

Have done a quick forum search and have found some great pizza base recipes but as I am feeling quite lazy today could anyone recommend a good pizza base mix i.e. that you just have to add water or something?
    Preferably something that can be bought in Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalu as I am in Cork and we have not been favoured yet by the likes of Superquinn (all hail to SQ sausages...) etc.

Thanks

BGF

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

McDougall's do a very good one, it should be widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Thanks dizzyblonde - I'll give it a bash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is a great base recipe.
    I scale it to 12 (makes 4 - 9" pizza bases and uses exactly one bread yeast portion) and then freeze them for future use.
    The nice thing about making your own is that you don't have to have a bland base - I sometimes make mine with wholemeal flour, add crushed garlic and sprinkle various herbs depending on mood. Once you have made your own, you wont want to try anything else. This is a really really nice sauce for the base.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Making you own is so easy, give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Longfield,

Thanks a million for those recipes - they look absolutely gorgeous. Ended up making something else for dinner last night but this is definitely a goer for the weekend. Think I had a fear of using yeast - tried to make bread once and it was a disaster - but was years ago and my cooking skills have advanced since then!

BGF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Just wondering if it would be possible to use self raising flour instead of flour and yeast or am i totally wrong in this. Apologies if really stupid, just starting to explore culinary skills :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

People used to make a scone base for pizza with self rising flour. But it’s now where near as good as a yeast base in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Going for the yeast so. This could be a handy thing to do alright. Not to fond of the pre-made stuff and having to perform an operation to pick out things you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Do yourself a favour and make sure you use good quality high-gluten bread flour. Anything else will surely lead to disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All this talk of pizza has prompted me to make a batch of pizzas (will eat one tonight and freeze the others).
    Toppings are...pineapple, chicken, sliced tomato, onion, red cheddar, white cheddar and torn baby spinage leaves..
    I've made a wholemeal base with garlic and mixed herbs mixed in and a red sauce using the recipe I posted above (without the anchovy paste)

Once you've made your own home made pizza there's no way you'll ever want to eat supermarket crap (or most restaurant stuff either) again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement