Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Shampoo Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I don't like Autoglym products much myself but the SRP is good enough at filling in for a while at least. The results are much better if machine polished but alright by hand so long as the product is used sparingly. Use too much and it dusts like crazy. It has chalk contained in it too as a basic and mild abrasive, so can stain trim if not careful. It needs to be followed with EGP if it is to last any decent length of time.

Otherwise you can read up on Glare at autopolish.net, smartcarcare.ie or the p1 polish at gtechniq.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Heheh..thanks for the carcareonline link.

Am about to order some stuff right now.

So which do I go for :

Einszett paint polish + glanz wax

or

Glare Spider Web + Pro Polish Sealant

The Glare stuff is more expensive but sounds like it will give good results.

"The Glare system will reduce and conceal these defects, for a fraction of the price of a machine polisher. Similarly, should you already have a polisher (orbital/dual action), and are still finding defects difficult to remove on harder paints, then Glare Spider is for you. It is a non-abrasive polish, which can be applied by hand (microfibre or foam applicator pads) or better still by machine (polishing pads). Unlike other filler based products, Glare's Glassplexin fillers will not wash off, nor will they compromise the integrity of the sealant top-coating itself."

They also do a Micro finish compound which sounds like it is more for removing oxidisation and light scratches. My paintwork is 9 months old and only has swirl marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Lads,

http://www.detailer.ie will be launched soon, with loads of detailing products and services nationwide. I will have the best brands in the 'detailing' world in stock for the same, or better prices then you will get online elsewhere.

As regard the tools, the best machine polishers are 110V from America, and as a result, don't have CE certification, which means they cannot be legaly distributed here. The Ultimate Detailing Machine should be released in UK/IRL in 240V form soon. I will be the only irish distributor of this when it arrives in early 08.

I can offer advice and assist in importing the polishers in 110V form if anyone needs help.

Cool. Sounds great. Looking forward to it.
    You will be offering a detailing service too ?
    Care to come down to Limerick or me to drive to you so you can get rid of my swirl marks. Cost is not a concern to be honest. Swear I will be a customer for life if you do :D

Anyway - I went and ordered the glare spider web and pro polish sealant.
    Just can't wait to give it a try now :)

Seperate : I might get the PC 110v or wait for the UDM. I have my sisters banger to practice on :)

Check this out :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/swirl-remover/

Swirl removal by hand. And my swirls are nowhere near as bad as this guys.

• Advertisement

Like TomMc, i would tend not to belive in swirl removing by hand. Some fillers can temporarily do a decent job, but to fully remove them, you need to be polishing by machine.

If you have somewhere to work indoors, I can meet up and show you what the machines and different polishes/seals/waxes can do. Don't fancy a drive to Limerick only for it to rain on arrival. Give me a PM if you want to arrange something!

Will do. Thanks for the offer. Currently do not have a garage to work in :( Bummer. Of course I could drive to you if you have the facilities. Do you offer a buffing/polishing service yet. I wouldn't mind paying to get it sorted professionally and then look after it by hand.

I think from the link I posted above the glare stuff has a chance of at least removing/hiding the swirls more long term. It seems to be a bit more then a filler. But I'll try it and find out I guess. If it works, then great -it's not often we get sunny weather so should be easy to keep on top of.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Will do. Thanks for the offer. Currently do not have a garage to work in :( Bummer. Of course I could drive to you if you have the facilities. Do you offer a buffing/polishing service yet. I wouldn't mind paying to get it sorted professionally and then look after it by hand.

I think from the link I posted above the glare stuff has a chance of at least removing/hiding the swirls more long term. It seems to be a bit more then a filler. But I'll try it and find out I guess. If it works, then great -it's not often we get sunny weather so should be easy to keep on top of.

I have facilities alright, in south Dublin. To fully correct, protect and seal paint work would take 5-7 hours, so if you fancy a trip up to Dublin, we can arrange a day to do it!

The trick when the paint is corrected is to touch is as seldom as possible. The more touching, the more chance of swirls. A wash with lambswool mit, plenty of shampoo and a touch-up of wax every couple of weeks should keep it looking well.

I will be offering maintenance contracts for executive/performance/luxury vehicles, which would comprise of monthly or quarterly details.

Thanks Separate.
    I will check my schedule next week and get back to you.

I am reasonably experienced with detailing, but have never had to worry about swirl removal till now as I have for years followed the advice on websites like autopia. At one point I would only buy a silver car or always avoided red or black cars as they show marring a lot easier. Now I have to deal with this paintwork. So I will try the Glare stuff to see what kind of results I get. I have a feeling I will be getting this professionally buffed.

Advertisement