Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanch Gazette Newspaper

Options
  • 18-10-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Basically just wondering what people think of it. I worked for them in sports for the first three years of their existence but I decided to move to Australia in January. Have to say I loved it and I thought the paper was doing great. Now i hear that it has become one of those crappy free papers delivered door to door by school kids. Can anyone confrim this?

Did anyone pay for it when you had to? Do you just bin it if it comes in the door?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A mate who moved out of the area asked me to pick one up once and I was shocked that you had to pay €1.50 for a local paper. Never got another after that. I automatically bin freebie papers that come in the door without even looking to see what they are, so it's quite possible that it is being delivered free but I haven't been aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

im sure its not delivered door to door. i also bought it once.. but its to expensive for what y get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

yep it's a freebie,just got it in today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When did it go free? I get all the other free papers but have only seen the Gazette in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

zaph wrote: »
    A mate who moved out of the area asked me to pick one up once and I was shocked that you had to pay €1.50 for a local paper. Never got another after that. I automatically bin freebie papers that come in the door without even looking to see what they are, so it's quite possible that it is being delivered free but I haven't been aware of it.

So if you won't buy it but would throw it out if it came in for free are you saying you've no interest in a local paper at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I read all the local papers but in the last month or so I have had no deliveries of any local paper.

I generally pick them up from the local Spar or something now as they are usually at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think it's free, the Northside People and another, the Community Voice or something like that are freebies that come in the door but the Blanch Gazette isn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jip wrote: »
    I don't think it's free, the Northside People and another, the Northside People or something like that are freebies that come in the door but the Blanch Gazette isn't.

Northside People and Community Voice are the two free ones I get through the door. Never get the Gazette through the door and anytime I've seen it in newsagents or whereever, it's always been for sale.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So if you won't buy it but would throw it out if it came in for free are you saying you've no interest in a local paper at all?

Pretty much, but that goes for local papers in any area I've lived in, not just D15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Blanch Gazette features too much glitz and nonsense to encourage people to pay €1.50 regularly for a local paper that will feature no information that is not available in Community Voice.

Charging €1.50 was ambitious and they have indeed gone free in the last six weeks or so for the simple reason that they had to I would say. If you don't get the sales you don't get the advertising and if you guarantee delivery to x number of homes instead you are in a stronger position.

Obviously some people will equate 'free' with worthless as we see with a former employee of the paper on this thread who describes the paper as "crappy" now that it is free. But in all fairness people who will not read a local paper shunted through the letter-box are certainly not going to pay €1.50 for one either, so in that sense going free is a good idea. I have never bought the paper other than in the first few weeks when they delivered it free as a promotion but have read it since it became a free paper more out of curiousity than seeing real value in it. In terms of real local issues the Gazette does not operate well on the ground in D15 and looks like it puts appearance above content. Generally the Gazette group looks like a newspaper group that is spreading itself too thin at the moment and simply will not get people to pay €1.50 for something that does not cover local issues as well as local free papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just to correct my previous post, I picked the Gazette up yesterday and it is indeed now free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

is the huge amount of crap junk mail that you get included. Drives me mad, and makes me want to throw all the papers into the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

If someone has delivered it to my door then I am more then happy to read through anything that concerns me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Seen it for free today in Dunnes in Ongar village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I bought it a few times. I was a bit puzzled as there always seemed to be more articles and info relevant to Lucan than Blanch.

One day I looked at the Lucan Gazette in a shop and I found the answer. Basically, what the Blanch Gazette is, is the Lucan Gazette, with the first 4 or 5 pages devoted to Blanch, and the rest devoted to Lucan matters.

I stopped buying immediately once I realised what was happening. I wasn't really interested in what was happening in Lucan and I certainly wasn't going to pay to find out.

Blanch Gazette is now gone free and delivered to your door but the Lucan Gazette still has to be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Murt10 wrote: »
    I bought it a few times. I was a bit puzzeled as there always seemed to be more articles and info relevant to Lucan than Blanch.

One day I looked at the Lucan Gazette in a shop and I found the answer. Basically, what the Blanch Gazette is, is the Lucan Gazette, with the first 4 or 5 pages devoted to Blanch, and the rest devoted to Lucan matters.

I stopped buying immediately once I realised what was happening. I wasn't really interested in what was happening in Lucan and I certainly wasn't going to pay to find out.

Blanch Gazete is now gone free and delivered to your door but the Lucan Gazette still has to be bought.

I was wondering why so many Lucan folk have been seen in Blanch picking up free copies of the Gazette but binning the first 4 or 5 pages before heading home again:D

Advertisement