Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobiles on Planes

• 18-10-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is old news but...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7050576.stm

If it is apologies.

Personally I rather the fact that phones are not used on planes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

ComReg has recently published a consultation document on this. So I guess they are thinking about allowing it on Irish planes too. Can you imagine...on top of all the awful sale pitches on board Ryanair we will now also get people shouting down there phones. The rates, I guess, will be skyhigh too :( (sorry for that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd love to be able to use my phone properly on a plane - all features except calls and people should also be told to use headphones or put them on silent.

I know someone who works in Altobridge in Tralee who are developing this technology. They just recently installed some kit at Burum earth station in Holland to facilitate it.

Could be a serious annoyance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

don't most phones already work on planes? without calls texts etc but who would want that anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

foggy_lad wrote: »
    don't most phones already work on planes? without calls texts etc but who would want that anyway??
    I would like to be able to text and browse the web.

I was also pissed off on a recent Aer Lingus flight when they annouced in no uncertain terms that any mobile devices were not allowed, even in flight mode.

Ok, so a couple of idiots don't know how to use flight mode properly ... but they probably have their phone on anyway and the plane didn't crash!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dont loke the idea of someone's phone interfering with comms on plane though especially just before landing:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There must be at least one phone left turned on on pretty much every flight you ever take and not one aircraft crash has been due to a phone being left on. This new stuff they are coming up with is more to do with the blocking of the ground cell signals as they would not cope with the rapid hand over from one cell to the next, and at has the added benefit for the airlines as they them get to charge more for you making calls via their pico cell.

Advertisement