Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best compact car

Options
  • 18-10-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, going looking at cars this weekend with my Mam cos her current one is on it's last legs. Want to keep it to a small size, i.e 1-1.1 litre but this is a class of cars I wouldn't know a lot about.
    I've heard the Yaris is meant to be the best in this class of car, the Micra not as good.

So what are your views, is the Yaris the king of the compacts or is there a better one out there?

Criteria for buying would be price, reliability, good fuel economy, easy to drive, plenty of boot storage.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What age/price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

sorry, 2001 up, want to keep it below 6000 euros. should have mentioned low mileage as well, max 50k if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DamoKen wrote: »
    2001 up, want to keep it below 6000 euros

In that case it is hard not to recommend the Yaris as a city / shopping car for your mother. It's reliable and cheap to run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Skoda Fabia Hatchback
    1.2 - 1.4ltr
    good economy, easy to drive, more space than the Yaris
    you'd get a 01/02 for under €6000 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

cheers for the replies lads, think I may go with the Yaris (that is if she likes the test drive). I like the Fabia myself, drove one all across Eastern Europe in the depths of winter and never let me down, I know she'll want the brand she recognises though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

My mother can't shift her 15k km '04 micra for more than 6k (trade in). There seems to be a general consensus in the trade that Nissans don't retain value so there must be some bargains out there. Mileage tends to be lowish in that class. You won't get a Yaris for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DamoKen wrote:
    Criteria for buying would be price, reliability, good fuel economy, easy to drive, plenty of boot storage.

The downside of the Yaris is that there's feck all boot space.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The rear seat on the Yaris slides, if she doesn't carry lots of luggage and rear passengers, she'll be ok

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The rear seat on the Yaris slides...

...as does the rear end ;)

Fiesta 1.25 16v Zetec rocks btw :D

...as does the rear end ;)

Fiesta 1.25 16v Zetec rocks btw :D

The reason the Fiesta rocks is because the rear end slides!

you wouldn't be slagging Toyotas now Henry would ya.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Spit62500 wrote: »
    My mother can't shift her 15k km '04 micra for more than 6k (trade in). There seems to be a general consensus in the trade that Nissans don't retain value so there must be some bargains out there. Mileage tends to be lowish in that class. You won't get a Yaris for that money.

The trade in market is terrible at the moment. Dealers are making lots off people getting ripped off at the trade in and selling the car for decent price.

OP should get 01-02 Yaris for around that price. most likely 2001. Great car. Easy to drive. Reliable. Economical. Expect nothin less from the guys at toyota. And they also retain value very well

Micras aren't as easy to sell as the old model. mainly due to odball styling and inferior reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

From my own experience ...

Get the Yaris - don't touch the Micra with a 40ft. pole!

Advertisement