Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Car To Buy 2004+ for 20,000 Euro

Options
  • 18-10-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a budget of 20,000 Euro max and want to buy a 2004+ car. Have a corolla but want to get something a bit more Luxury.
    Was thinking A4, Passat, Saab s3 or maybe an Alpha.
    What does anyone out there recommend:confused: Don't do many miles so petrol versions don't bother me too much.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Get out there and start taking test drives. We have no idea what you'll like (or dislike).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And to get you an idea what cars to choose from, go to carzone.ie. Click on advanced search under used cars and type in €18,000 as minimum price and €22,000 as maximum price and in year, select 2004 and newer. This brings up a list with over 4,000 cars. Make a shortlist of makes / models you're interested in and take it from there...

Alternatively, post here what you like in a car and what's important to you (e.g. reliability, ease of resell as you're planning to selling next year, handling, status, low mileage, newer the better, etc.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi,
    I have a budget of 20,000 Euro max and want to buy a 2004+ car. Have a corolla but want to get something a bit more Luxury.
    What does anyone out there recommend:confused: Don't do many miles so petrol versions don't bother me too much.
    Cheers

Any reason for 2004+? Like if you saw a really nice 2003 which fitted your other requirements, would you discount it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Hi,
    Cheers

Er...Passat is about as luxurious as a Mondeo!

Go for an Alfa...there...that's my advice unless you can provide more info on what exactly you're looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I would stay away from Alfa. I've had a 147 and 156 (both 02's) and what I found was :

crap resale
    nothing but creaks and rattles - well known for it
    lots of electrical and mechanical issues
    poor fit and finish in places
    expensive to service
    dealerships are toss if you care about that

A4 or Saab 93 would be a good choice depending on what you want. But neither are giving you significantly more luxury. Maybe an A6, Saab95, or 5 series BMW would but you would probably have to drop down some years.

I have a mate selling an 02 Volvo S80 2.0T on Adverts and I have to say this is the most luxurious car I have been in. Pure comfort. The only thing I have been in that compares is a Lexus LS430 and BMW 745i. Of course the thing is massive, and drinks petrol. But as they are 65k new, 2nd hand at 12.5-13k is a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I agree OP - stay away from the Alfa (anyone who spells it Alpha isn't into cars enough to own an Alfa!) - I don't mean that in a bad way either OP - I LOVE Alfas, I mean really love them - but they really are for people who love them, they cannot be treated like a machine you use for transporting yourself and your family around in - like a fussy Italian girlfriend they need lots of care and attention, and will reward you for it!

As has been mentioned go drive everything, pick what you like the best - give some more info too - waht do you need/want in a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

I'm looking for the following in the car:
    1. More power
    2. Decent Resale Value
    3. Reliability
    4. Comfort
    5. Style/Looks
    Just thinking of 2004+ cause it would be nice to move up a few years from my current car, but maybe this isn't a good enough reason?:confused:
    But ye are right I have to get out and test drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

mack1 wrote: »
    stay away from the Alfa (anyone who spells it Alpha isn't into cars enough to own an Alfa!) - I don't mean that in a bad way either OP - I LOVE Alfas, I mean really love them

I agree 100 % with mack1.

How about something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=810457

P
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=747828

In my opinion, one of the best looking cars to hit the roads in the last few years. Has to be black with Alloys. Spec wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the Skoda above, but has all you need.

This one looks like one of the many that went out to a fleet so should have a full service history and been cared for well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

prospect wrote: »
    I agree 100 % with mack1.

How about something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=810457

P
    :)

The OP mentioned style so that rules out Skodas ;)

Based on the new criteria...
    1. More power
    2. Decent Resale Value
    3. Reliability
    4. Comfort
    5. Style/Looks

...from your list I'd go for an A4 1.8T or a high powered diesel. Will tick all the boxes.
    Saabs have crap reasale and reliability isn't fantastic either.

How big would you go engine wise?

• Advertisement

CarLover wrote: »
    ...from your list I'd go for an A4 1.8T or a high powered diesel. Will tick all the boxes.

2004 1.8T A4 for under 20k - where? You'd be lucky to get a high mileage 1.6 for that price.

Re-sale on the 9-3 isn't fantastic, but that's why it makes a good 2nd hand buy. And as for reliability - I know of 2 2004 Audi A4 1.8T's that were absolute, total, utter lemons. Both had to have turbo's replaced at least 3 times, and both ended up with full engine transplants which didn't solve the issues. Never heard of anything like that happening with the Saab 1.8T, plus the spec is probably better in the Saab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

That is fair enough, I thought the particular one I linked to looks well, in the black and with the alloys.

However, to recommend an A4 as a more stylish option to a Superb smacks of:
    Pot%20Kettle%20Black.jpg

They look very similar to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

A 1.6 petrol was what I was thinkin...but would rule out a 1.8T or a 1.9 TDI.
    The reason why I'm thinkin petrol is I don't do too many miles so could live without the efficency of the diesel and the TDI's are more expensive.
    The only thing I'd worry about is are the petrol versions hard to sell on down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

A 1.6 petrol was what I was thinkin...but would rule out a 1.8T or a 1.9 TDI.
    The reason why I'm thinkin petrol is I don't do too many miles so could live without the efficency of the diesel and the TDI's are more expensive.
    The only thing I'd worry about is are the petrol versions hard to sell on down the line?

I think there are few on here that will disagree with me but I think the 1.6 is a disgraceful puny excuse of an engine to put in a car the size of an A4 or Passat.
    IMO, if you are buying an A4 with the 1.6 you can't afford an A4 - as much as I also loathe diesels (yes yes I know, how unmodern of me) I would prefer one to the underpowered lawnmower 1.6 lump. The 1.8T is the one I would go for - you did put more power as No1!

OP - you mentioned a list of requirements, but what about size? do you require a 4 door saloon? what about something like a Mk IV Golf GTi - more power, Decent Resale Value, Reliability, Comfort, Style/Looks (sorta)

If you don't mind going up to a 2 Litre (as mentioned above - steer well clear of a 1.6 in anything around the size you are looking), then http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=754550

or an Exec version if you stretch your budget.

Reliable, Cracking engine and re-sale should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You even could buy a 2006 car - it will be a fairly crap car mind, or you can go for a well minded 2002 or 2003 car that has more life left in it than a thrashed 2004 or 2005 car.
    If you are actually considering a medium sized car with a 1.6 petrol engine, maybe you should scale back your budget a bit, so you can afford the road tax on something that can actually pull the skin off a rice pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Being a Skoda owner I recommend an Octavia myself. Not much money, can be had for Focus money and kitted out nicely. Very reliable (always come out in the top 5 in the JDPower survey). Comfortable. Decent resale. Huge boot. Lots of rear leg room. And if you get a relatively new one 04/05, you get the new body and chasis based on the latest Golf with a very nice fit and finish inside. I know the 1.9tdi goes for 24k new. So you should definitely get a deal on a 2nd hand one. Or move up to a 2.0tdi 140bhp with DSG. Still under 20k 2nd hand. Also very economical, but as you said you don't do much mileage and as power is no. 1 priority, you could look at a 03/04 vRS for under 15k. I had one for almost 5 years without 1 single issue, and that was with a 1.8T/modded to 245bhp :D You should even easily be able to afford the newer 2.0TFSI 200bhp RS for around 20k. Maybe a litte more depending on year. Comes standard with dual zone climatronic,mp3,abs,traction control,17" alloys,half leather/half alacantra sports seats,hardened suspension,front fogs,cruise control,rain sensing wipers,auto dim mirrors etc.. And they are not expensive to insure, reasonably quick (0-100kmh in around 7,and if not fast enough for ya can be modded easily to around 280bhp),handle very well, and are roomy. Fuel economy sucks obviously and some people do not like the looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Based on the new criteria...
    1. More power
    2. Decent Resale Value
    3. Reliability
    4. Comfort
    5. Style/Looks

How big would you go engine wise?

1.8T audi is one of the most unreliable pieces of **** engines out there. Don't know why it's so bad as the Golf GTi managed fine with it, but in the A4 and A6 stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Buy an 04-05 Honda Accord up north. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

dixiefly wrote: »
    Buy an 04-05 Honda Accord up north. End of.

thats what i did, save myself a packet too :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You will be able to buy a very well kitted out low mileage 2007 1.6 Focus 3 door hatch for that money in a few months, with a full Ford warranty too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm looking for the following in the car:
    1. More power
    2. Decent Resale Value
    3. Reliability
    4. Comfort
    5. Style/Looks
    Just thinking of 2004+ cause it would be nice to move up a few years from my current car, but maybe this isn't a good enough reason?:confused:
    But ye are right I have to get out and test drive

That's my point, better to get a 2002/2003 that ticks the rest of the boxes rather than a 2004 1.6 litre A4 (for example).

I biased of course :D , but just for your info, you should be able to get into a very tidy '03 A4 1.8T from a decent dealer (not an Audi dealer mind) for that sort of money now. You should also be able to secure a 1 year warranty on one for peace of mind. I agree with the others that a 1.6 n/a engine in something bigger like a Passat/A4 etc. will be too slow, and won't be any quicker off the mark than a Corolla.

If you are not doing high miles, you don't need a diesel, and what I found was that many 3 to 4 year old diesels for sales in this country are tatty UK high-mileage rejects with a high probability of being clocked. Be very careful shopping around. If importing from the UK, best to do it yourself.

Take a few for test drives, and be firm in your dealing with any dealers you come across. There are plenty of good cars to be had out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

IMO if your looking for looks and reliability go for an 03 IS200..
    problem solved!

See that car... wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Private seller in Ireland, UK plates. A private seller shouldn't be selling a car that hasn't been registered here.

I'm sure the price won't include the VRT either.

Advertisement