Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For players of the game...

• 18-10-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭

One thing i've always wondered when watching football (esp. films) is what do all those things that the QB says before a play mean??

Like in the moovies you always hear him say something like:
    Blue 18! Blue 27! Set! Hut Hut!

While i understand the set & hut hut, what does the blue 18 stuff mean??? Or is this hollywood crap??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The QB is calling/changing the play. The QB will usually call the play in the huddle, before the teams line up for the play, but sometimes when the teams line up he might want to change it. If, for example, he called a long pass and sees the defense lined up for a blitz, he might change the play to a draw or a quick pass to the tight end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

yeah, its what you call audibles, peyton manning is famous for running the offense completely through them.

Each game players have to learn these calls so that the QB can change the protection, switch formation, switch play, change the run hole, or switch a route.
    They'll also throw in dummy audibles to keep the defense guessing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

No, i know what audibles are, but generally in all films no matter what as they walk to the line QB will shout stuff like "Blue 18" etc. and then set the play... Not an audible or anything...

On the peyton manning audible thing, he is quite possibly the most annoying QB to play against in madden, he changes every play... grr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

QB's say random things all the time so when they actually do call an audible its not picked up on. Manning is the genius at it half the time he opens his mouth he isnt changing anything other than to try trick the D. A friend of Seth Larson Played D2 and played in the IAFL told me its best to throw out random words and point at receivers and look around you will notice alot of QB's doing this. Ask any of the guys who know him his favourite word was Sheboygen.

Different QBs say different things some barel say anything at all.

When i used to play , we got a new Mexican quater back. When he was running the plays he was supposed to shout Hook (to run a hook). But he got mixed up with the words and shouted Honk Honk instead ! Needless to say it caused a whole lot of problems as we all pretended we knew what that play ment but depended on the other person hoping he knew what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hehehe Sheboygan... I almost fell over on the line the first time he used it I was laughing so hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

It can be any of the following:
    - Just part of the cadence, meaning it's similar to saying 'Ready, Steady, GO' to start every play;
    - An audible;
    - A bogus audible so that defenses can't tell when a real audible is being called;
    - Codewords to tell the offense the snap count, the defensive coverage, the defensive front (or other information about the defense from the QB's point of view), the pass protection scheme to be used on that particular play; or
    - 'Check with me' calls, which mean that the QB called a couple of plays in the huddle and he picks which one he wants to use when everybody is lined up. This is like an audible.

Advertisement