Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size surfboard should I get

Options
  • 18-10-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Hello there, looking into getting a board so I can take this thing more seriously, also extremely tired of having to depend on rentals.

I've only ever used rental boards...you know the type; usually foam, very big and very similar to an actual boat. Looking to make a step up from this, but I've no idea where to begin.

I'm 6'2" and at the ability where I'm pretty much past the 'I can stand up nearly all the time!' stage so I want to be able to start progressing alot more.

What size/type of surfboard should I vaguely be looking for?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

(I'm relatively new to this too so someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

You should be looking for something fairly big (maybe a 7'6" mini mal?) as a shorter board won't give you the bouyancy you need. Rental/foam boards are far more bouyant than similarly sized "real" boards but don't handle half as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

unless your an olympic swimmer you need to be looking at somehting 7'6 +.
    Otherwise you'l just be torturing yourself. You can get good decent board by circle one 7'6 for around 350euro new. These are epoxy and are fairly tough. Also Bic do tougher boards that you can beat really around. Mose popular are 7'9 and an 8'4 these are perfect beginner boards espically for bigger people.(avoid 7'3's). after a while on these you can decide if you want to go longer or shorter.
    Personally i've been riding a 7'9* & 7'3 for the last couple f years and have just bought a 6'10, now im looking at trading back for something in the 9ft + range. basically go long to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ok cool, I was thinking around the 7'6" + range but wasn't sure. I'll start long and hopefully go shorter as I progress.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Funkstard wrote: »
    What size/type of surfboard should I vaguely be looking for?

Cheers.

Bic 7ft 9. Or if you want to spend a bit more, go for a Take Off epoxy board about this length, or even 8ft.

Advertisement