Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car from England (I live there)

Options
  • 18-10-2007 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm living in the UK at the moment but if I ever do move back home, whats the story with VRT? I have been living here for over a year now myself, but is there a set time I have to have owned the car for before I'm VRT exempt? I was thinking it would be better to get a car here and load it with my things to be taken home, as opposed to hiring a van and having to take it back here again.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

6 months.

If you sell it within 1 year you have to pay VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

sabre man, you're a gent. short and sweet, exactly the answer i was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you plan to buy a car over there and own it for 6 months before moving over here, pontovic, you need to make sure you have absolute proof that you've owned the car for this period. The Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) can get very anal about this!

Buy a car that is popular here. Do a bit of research. Play it right and you'll get the same back for it here in about 18 months time as you paid in the UK now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

unkel wrote: »
    If you plan to buy a car over there and own it for 6 months before moving over here, pontovic, you need to make sure you have absolute proof that you've owned the car for this period. The Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) can get very anal about this!

Buy a car that is popular here. Do a bit of research. Play it right and you'll get the same back for it here in about 18 months time as you paid in the UK now! :)

Good Advice.

Will keep this in mind as i am moving to UK soon.

Any idea about what cars are popular here in general and will hold their value well ?

was thinking about ford Focus or Nissan primera.. or VW Golf .. Ideas ?

Advertisement