Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festival of Babes

• 18-10-2007 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=d61ab40e-e1c9-4c2b-ab31-c54e65c789df&k=88940

A FOBulous time playing sexy soccer

Misty Harris , CanWest News Service

"FOB has become a negotiation point for any lesbian who starts a new job; she has to have the Labour Day weekend off," says Julie Johnson, who has participated in 15 of the last 16 events. "It's important, like Christmas. You've got to go every year."

The festival originated in San Francisco in 1991 after a lesbian soccer team from the area competed at the Gay Games in Vancouver, B.C., and felt inspired to host a similar event.

FOB has since grown into a little publicized, but widely attended, event in which hundreds of women from as far away as Scotland - but mostly limited to the U.S. and Canada - come together for a weekend of grrrl power, sportsmanship and strip soccer.

Although the latter element of play is meant to discourage one team from pummelling another, Johnson admits it's evolved into an appealing excuse for throwing games.

"After you get close to five (goals behind) and you're getting beat, you want to see some naked girls. So you start letting them score," she says, laughing.

"Of course, after a while, the neighbours start coming over to watch and we have to tell everyone to put their clothes back on. It's crazy."

Tanya Fader is a member of one of the four Canadian teams that have registered to participate in this year's tournament.

"It's something everyone really looks forward to," says Fader, a Vancouver resident now in her fifth year of attendance at FOB. "I like that when it gets too competitive, groups of women - including myself - will run onto the field and perform particular antics just to take the seriousness out a bit and remind people it's all for fun."

The craziness includes draping the most intense players in feather boas, shooting the referee with a squirt-gun, replacing the soccer ball with a beach ball, and bringing tequila shots onto the field for reinforcements.

According to organizer Myra Lavenue, there are even times when matches are halted altogether in favour of playing an old-fashioned game of spin-the-bottle.

"The mood is really outrageous," says Lavenue. "You have referees dressed in crazy outfits, you have women running around the field with beers in their hands and trying to play soccer at the same time, you have people who hug the goalie or give her a kiss when they score so she doesn't feel so bad ... It's all a celebration of women who love women who love soccer."

Don't ask me how I found this! :D

I say we forget Staunton, Delaney et al and support this!

Comments

Advertisement