Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The V Force Risies again!

Options
  • 18-10-2007 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Thursday, 18 October 2007.
    Vulcan plane returns to the skies today.

A Vulcan bomber has flown again after years of restoration work by engineers in Leicestershire.
    It last flew 14 years ago after a 33-year career in the RAF, including service in the Falklands War.

Some 20,000 people worldwide helped raise the £6.5m needed to restore the Cold War bomber.

It made first of three test flights from Bruntingthorpe airfield after being cleared by the Civil Aviation Authority on Thursday.

Taff Stone, chief of the Vulcan crew, said: "There's a lot of work gone into the aircraft.

"We taken it right down to the basics. We've checked everything, we've cleaned everything, we've finally put it all back together and we've just about achieved the unachievable."

Al McDicken, one of the plane's pilots, added: "She's absolutely magnificent and visually a very attractive aeroplane.

"All of us who have flown her have enjoyed her handling qualities but she really flies like a big fighter in some ways. It's a thrill to be involved with it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/7049694.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Fantasic news !

I am reading the Vulcan book about the Falklands right now .....great read

I remember going to Scampton/Waddington and seeing the lines of Vulcans sitting there. Rather like the Lightnings at Binbrook, very evocotive.

Now the Lightning needs to get aloft and we could re-create the cold war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ok, so I know she's not a V bomber either, but I'd love to see the North American XB-70 Valkyrie in the air. She's a powerful looking bird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

saw these flying at church fenton airshow when i was a kid must have been 82 amazing stuff incredible noise off them, same engine as concorde if i remember right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yeah, but the Vulcan was the first to use it. The olympus engine was improved fpr sustained supersonic speeds for the TSR2 project, which fell by the wayside. But they had the engine developed and on the shelf when Concorde came a cakking

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I did a few trackdays at Bruntingthorpe. Lots of old aircraft there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement