Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Office Switch Question

Options
  • 18-10-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All

I have a small office with a broadband connection. I want to add about 10 PC's to the network and want to do it as follows. I want to buy a switch/firewall which I will connect to the broadband and which will network the PC's as well.

Can anyone reccommend a 24 port switch or switch/firewall which I could use. I don't have a huge amount of experience with switches and dont know if it is possible to get one which you can configure via an application or web interface or something but it it was I would prefer that..i.e something that doesn't involve the use of a console cable all the time!!

All help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

darran_D wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a small office with a broadband connection. I want to add about 10 PC's to the network and want to do it as follows. I want to buy a switch/firewall which I will connect to the broadband and which will network the PC's as well.

Can anyone reccommend a 24 port switch or switch/firewall which I could use. I don't have a huge amount of experience with switches and dont know if it is possible to get one which you can configure via an application or web interface or something but it it was I would prefer that..i.e something that doesn't involve the use of a console cable all the time!!

All help greatly appreciated!!
    Are you planning on putting extra security on the switch? a regular layer 2 switch doesn't usually have a web interface or console port maybe you are confusing it with a router.

You can get an unmanaged switch from here for €99.22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I've not used one myself but the Dell Powerconnect 2724 is hard to beat for price/performance (Gigabit, 24 port, web managed, € 219 +VAT & Del).
    http://www.google.com/search?q=dell+powerconnect+2724+review

If you don't need the features of a managed switch or gigabit speed, the 2224 (10/100, 24 port unmanaged) is €69 +VAT & Del.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danmurf

Hi,

Cisco switches have both CLI and web based config modes loads of models can be a bit on the pricey side but very stable devices also good deals on e-bay

or 3Com have always been very good on the web based management side

see 3Com® Baseline Plus switches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 darran_D

Thanks for the replies and sorry if things werent too clear,,,Im not the best on the networks side of things. What I want is to a device I can plug into by broadband modem, that has 24 ports to network my pc's from and that would hopefully have a built in firewall and web interface. Maybe it is a router I'm looking for, Im not sure!!!

Thanks for the replies and sorry if things werent too clear,,,Im not the best on the networks side of things. What I want is to a device I can plug into by broadband modem, that has 24 ports to network my pc's from and that would hopefully have a built in firewall and web interface. Maybe it is a router I'm looking for, Im not sure!!!
    It is very important to know is the box, which you think is a modem, a modem or a router. IF it is only a modem you have at the moment then you will need to purchase a router AND a 24 port switch. Then your setup would be

TELEPHONE LINE ----> MODEM ----> ROUTER ----> 24 port switch ----> upto 23 computers

If the modem is in fact a router then all you need is a 24 port switch - again a regular switch is fine unless you know what you are doing or have someone who knows in order to configure extra security.

The router would have a web interface and could possibly have a firewall built in. You would not need a web interface with the switch unless you are doing some advanced setups with it e.g. VLANS etc.

The best way you could find out whether it is a router or a modem is to post the make and model of it here and we can tell you or check with the manual or the vendor's website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

I would suggest the following setup

--WEB--
    !
    --BROADBAND MODEM--
    !
    --FIREWALL--
    !
    --SWITCH--
    !
    --PC'S--

The Switch provides high speed connectivity between the PC's and/or servers.
    You don't really need manageability on this for such a small network.
    The Dell Powerconnect mentioned above will do just fine.

The Firewall provides the breakpoint between the web & your network & hence is the important bit. I would recommend getting something decent and easily manageable (especially if you don't know too much about security).

There are a good few appliance based firewalls out there with web based configurations.
    Expect to spend anywhere from 500-1000 euro depending on options. You won't need a router as the firewall should be able to do the routing as well.

I'll PM you a few links.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your help..

From reading your posts I am going to get a Broadband Modem and Router all in one, like Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router & 4 port switch and a switch for the nework connectivity side of it then..

So it will be

--WEB--
    !
    --BROADBAND MODEM/ROUTER(Built in Firewall)--
    !
    --SWITCH--
    !
    --PC'S--

Thanks for all your help and just one final question to keep you on your toes.
    When i plug from the broadband router into the switch, do I need to use a crossover cable? and I presume I can just plug it into Port one and then any PC into any of the other ports is connected?

Cheers

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your help..

From reading your posts I am going to get a Broadband Modem and Router all in one, like Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router & 4 port switch and a switch for the nework connectivity side of it then..

So it will be

--WEB--
    !
    --BROADBAND MODEM/ROUTER(Built in Firewall)--
    !
    --SWITCH--
    !
    --PC'S--

Thanks for all your help and just one final question to keep you on your toes.
    When i plug from the broadband router into the switch, do I need to use a crossover cable? and I presume I can just plug it into Port one and then any PC into any of the other ports is connected?

Cheers
    You shouldn't need a crossover cable as most switches come with Auto MDI/MDIX i.e. it senses whether you are using a crossover cable or not.

Most ISPs supply a combined modem/router these days (in some cases with wireless too) - check what you're getting from the ISP before you spend money on a router.

Thanks Guys, I am setting this up this week so I just want to clarify one thing..

I can just plug it from the broadband router into Port one an a switch and then any PC into any of the other ports is connected?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks Guys, I am setting this up this week so I just want to clarify one thing..

I can just plug it from the broadband router into Port one an a switch and then any PC into any of the other ports is connected?

Cheers

Yes that would be correct.

Yes

provided:
    you're using straight-wired cable from router to switch port 1 and this port is configured for uplink
    OR
    you're using crossover cable from router to any normal (ie. non-uplink) switch port
    OR
    the switch does auto MDI/MDIX

Advertisement