Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rovers Stadium Decision

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DSB wrote: »
    no I'm a Shels fan. nothing to do with that. but you can't just go around making ridiculous claims like that, with nothing to back them up bar sob stories that you've heard from 1 or 2friends, that you can't even prove.

How is it a ridiclous claim?

Sorry, What would you like me to do, interview them and put it on a website so i can give you a link?

god forbid someone should post anything on boards without hard facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

When Bohs were looking to move to beyond Castleknock the nimbys were out in force so would be surprised if there was no element of that whatsoever in Tallaght. No Thomas Davis members living in the area? Guessing they would have objected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

bohsman wrote: »
    When Bohs were looking to move to beyond Castleknock the nimbys were out in force so would be surprised if there was no element of that whatsoever in Tallaght. No Thomas Davis members living in the area? Guessing they would have objected.

its been fairly well established that the rank and file bigots have no major issue with us moving in, there is a cabal high in TD who are taking this case. No vote was taken in TD as to whether they should go down this route. As I said, no-one objected during public consultation.

Besides, there is a fundamental difference between local concerns and claiming that scores of people moved house.

and to not see why people are scoffing at his claims is the icing on the black and tan cake.

can we move on from this tangent and not humour him anymore?

Besides, there is a fundamental difference between local concerns and claiming that scores of people moved house.

and to not see why people are scoffing at his claims is the icing on the black and tan cake.

can we move on from this tangent and not humour him anymore?

can you show me where i said scores of people moved house?

can you answer the above question that I asked you twice or is your little rovers brain too small to put one together?

Ste Kelly said he hadn't heard of any complaints. that's fine.

someone else said there's no hard facts.

You're also assuming it's because of SHAMROCK ROVERS.

It's not, what team it was made not one blind bit of difference.

Why would someone who gave 8/9 years of their life to Tallaght Town FC, who lived in Tallaght for 25 years, who wants to see Rovers get their staduim, tell this fib?

you're not making a blind bit of sense.

ntlbell wrote: »

you're not making a blind bit of sense.

I'm not? :rolleyes:

You have stated your case, no-one believes you. Trying to question posters intellegence doesnt lend credibility to your position.

We heard you the first time. No need to keep repeating yourself, let it go.

I'm not? :rolleyes:

You have stated your case, no-one believes you. Trying to question posters intellegence doesnt lend credibility to your position.

We heard you the first time. No need to keep repeating yourself, let it go.

now, can you answer the question i put to you twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Congrats Shamrock Rovers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gustavo wrote: »
    Congrats Shamrock Rovers :)
    Second that. Football is the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best news I've heard in years. Cannot wait to start watching Rovers in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great news altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fantastic news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fantastic news , it seems common sense has prevailed :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just heard it on the news. Didnt even know it was up for decision today. Excellent news.

Football ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Good news indeed. A good X-mas for them.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Congrats to the nomads. Deservedly have a place to call home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

now i'm not so happy about having to move out of Tallaght, Congrats again to the Rovers. Hope to enjoy many a champions league night there. Bring it on !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

absolutely great news, my brother's moving in across the road in the next few weeks so can't wait for the first games there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was only thinking the other day, as i drove past the ground, there is a huge potential for Rovers in Tallaght. Not only have Rovers already ot a big following, but putting them in the middle of Tallaght is surely going to attract a lot more followers.

as well as the locals, think how many Poles/Nigerians/Latvians etx that are living around there and would love the opportunity of watching decent football at the expense of a ten minute stroll. (I might even take my brother in law up on his invites and come along myself).

Shame about Thomas Davis, GAA will never compete with football so they should be working at ways they can complement each other not rival each other. Three years ago, if they had decided to build a joint "Tallaght" stadium for both sports, this may have turned out better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I'm glad that Rovers won. It turned into an absolutely farcical situation and there was only ever going to be one outcome.
    Shame about Thomas Davis, GAA will never compete with football so they should be working at ways they can complement each other not rival each other. Three years ago, if they had decided to build a joint "Tallaght" stadium for both sports, this may have turned out better.

That's one of the most ignorant and uninformed statements I've ever read on boards. In terms of playing the sport (5-a-sides don't count) and going to matches, GAA is far bigger than football in Ireland. I'd love if there was a way that they could complement each other as I'm a huge fan of both, but I just don't see it happening. Anyway, that's a different discussion altogether, so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, GAA are winning the battle. This stadium was part of the battle, and shows how good the GAA are at stopping the development of football. They rock at it, the FAI suck.

• Advertisement

as well as the locals, think how many Poles/Nigerians/Latvians etx that are living around there and would love the opportunity of watching decent football at the expense of a ten minute stroll. (I might even take my brother in law up on his invites and come along myself).

Dont forget the residents of the (official shamrock rovers? :)) halting site adjacent to the stadium.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check
    Don't worry be happy
    Was a number one jam
    Damn if I say it you can slap me right here
    lets get this party started right
    Right on, c'mon (the Hoops)
    What we got to say
    Power to the people no delay
    To make everybody see
    In order to fight the powers that be
    Fight the Power

C'mon the Hoops :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PHB wrote: »
    Indeed, GAA are winning the battle. This stadium was part of the battle, and shows how good the GAA are at stopping the development of football. They rock at it, the FAI suck.

The FAI are just as good if not better at crushing football in Ireland than the GAA. It shouldnt be a battle between the two, the country is big enough for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

FAI are far superior than teh GAA at stopping the development of football in this country.

Shame most peoplelook to england for the next irish superstar when its he FAIlings of the club down the road from them for the lack of superstars.

well done rovers, cant wait to thump them 5-0 in tallafornia.

Wonder how Coutenays bid for 49% is coming along now :p

The ROD!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good day for LOI.

Will have to come up with some new songs about Rovers now!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Good day for LOI.

Will have to come up with some new songs about Rovers now!:D

Great news imo.

Thomas Davis will attempt to appeal this to the Supreme Court today (Friday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Thomas Davis will attempt to appeal this to the Supreme Court today (Friday).

:mad: DROP IT YOU STUBBORN ****S!!

Any chance of the appeal being rejected tomorrow or is there a 'process' to go through?:rolleyes:

Nunu wrote: »
    :mad: DROP IT YOU STUBBORN ****S!!

Any chance of the appeal being rejected tomorrow or is there a 'process' to go through?:rolleyes:

tommorow is about costs, but TD will apply for an appeal

they have to prove that it is the national interest to do so and only on a point of law. they also have to get the judge who gave them a mauling in his ruling to agree. not likely, but then again, we are nearly 3 years in already, so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can anyone provide a link of some sorts on the history of this issue because I'm more a hurling supporter but love soccer as well.

A bit of background is what I'd really appreciate. Really. Plus, not in Ireland at the moment so not up to speed.

Thanks

K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shamrock Rovers start to build a stadium in Tallaght.

Run out of money to continue. In fact, run out of ANY money whatsoever, then have their debts cleared by some means.

Half built stadium lies there for years.

South Dublin County Council decide to finish the stadium for Rovers.

Local GAA Club Thomas Davis decide they want a piece of the ground, even though TD have ample land in other parts of Tallaght.

TD state that they want to destroy Rovers. TD are being backed by the Dublin County Board.

TD take it to court, to try to force Rovers and SDCC to share the ground.

While all of this is going on, the ground still isn't being build (the dimensions would have to change if GAA was to be allowed in).

Finally, a judge finds in favour of Rovers.

TD to appeal.

Meanwhile, "fans" of Irish soccer clambour to GAA Headquarters to sing Olé Olé, oblivious to the fact that the GAA are currently locked in a court battle, with the sole intention of forcing one of Ireland's most historic and successful soccer clubs to the wall. **** the lot of them. GAA and Oirland fans alike.

Fúck Thomas Davis. Fúck the GAA, arseholes.

And I fúcking hate Shamrock Rovers, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭secman

If you ignore the rant, thats roughly the story !

Secman

secman wrote: »
    If you ignore the rant, thats roughly the story !

Secman

Other key issues here are that Rovers have a legally binding deal with the SDCC, they have to build us a 'suitable venue' in return for the land.

secondly, at the moment the SDCC investment into the stadium would be €4m and that will get a 10,000 all seater venue that will be used for underage internationals and cup finals.

the GAA 'plan' would involve the demolition of all the existing structures, undersoil drainaige and a totally new stadium designed. 1,500 to 2,000 seats for an outlay of aroiund €15m. and they stated in court they didn't know who would use it and how often.

Have never been a GAA fan, but never had anything against the organisation or any clubs until this all started.

They are scum of the highest order.

I take it SDCC have to wait for the outcome of this appeals process before they can start the buildign work again? When are we looking at before we actually see real live workers on the site?

Stekelly wrote: »
    I take it SDCC have to wait for the outcome of this appeals process before they can start the buildign work again? When are we looking at before we actually see real live workers on the site?

Depends how long this appeal takes probably, but Rovers have been talking about being in there for the 2009 season.

In fact, they were telling fairy tales of playing games there this season.

But given the rate County Councils carry out work, I'd say any time between 2015 and 2115 would be a good bet.

SDCC will want to start work ASAP because if TD win the appeal, it will be TD who will have to pay for the demolition, not SDCC.

I'd say once we get into spring and it's not raining every day, they'll start work on it.

Shouldn't take them too long to put a stadium that size up.

It's disgraceful enough coming from a single club, but for the GAA to condone the actions of TD and help to "destroy" a club from another sporting body is just unforgivable.

I won't be going to any Ireland matches while we're playing in Croke Park as I don't want the GAA to get any of my money.

syngindub wrote: »
    It This is absolutely sickening from the GAA
    Yeah.

But, remember. The FAI knew about this, but still got into bed with the GAA in Croker.

Another example of the FAI talking out of both sides of it's mouth.

Telling everyone they are backing Rovers, but at the same time giving money to the GAA for Croker. That same money is being pumped back back into "grassroots" GAA, ie local clubs, including Thomas Davis.

So, in effect, the FAI were contributing to the Thomas Davis cause.

I was never a great lover of the GAA, but this makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

so at the moment TD are appealing the court order?
    I live very close to the stadium and drive by it on a daily basis. It's a contant reminder to the scandal that goes on in both GAA and FAI.

Syngin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

This appeal would clearly be supported by Dublin County and by GAA nationally.

It's an absolute disgrace, which, like the ban, Rule 42, and broken glass on 'sacair' pitches, should be filed under a big, black B.

SDCC will want to start work ASAP because if TD win the appeal, it will be TD who will have to pay for the demolition, not SDCC.

TD most certainly will not be contributing to the stadium - they dont even plan on playing there remember!

One of the most sickening things about this sordid saga is the Gah heads claiming that Rovers were getting 'a stadium for free' after putting in millions while they were a arguing to get a more expensive one actually for free. They tried to make out they were protecting the taxpayer in all this!

TD most certainly will not be contributing to the stadium - they dont even plan on playing there remember!

I think there's bit of a misunderstanding here.

If the stadium is built or half built and TD win the appeal, they will have to pay for the demolition/reconstruction themselves if they want to build anything there.

I think there's bit of a misunderstanding here.

If the stadium is built or half built and TD win the appeal, they will have to pay for the demolition/reconstruction themselves if they want to build anything there.

No, you are wrong.

It will remain a municipal stadium, just one redesigned for the GAA. The SDCC still own the place, it doenst become a GAA ground.

100% solid on this, the GAA are not offereing one cent if they win.

Okay, maybe I was misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

kraggy wrote: »
    Can anyone provide a link of some sorts on the history of this issue because I'm more a hurling supporter but love soccer as well.K.

http://www.kilkennycats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=65534#65534

:D

that has to be some of the most ill informed nonsense I have ever seen on the web, and that says a great deal.

the GAA are not included because the size of the facility they claim to want would not justify the added expense and also render the facility usless for its anchor tenent.

it also ignores the fact that there are hundreds of municipal sports faclilties in Ireland and there was never any requirement to fundamentally alter them for the GAA, especially a non-local club who admitted they will not use the facility.

Shamrock Rovers are also a not-for profit members club, so all this garbage about 'private companies' is simple ignorance.

Davis could face €500k costs as appeal launched

Dublin GAA club Thomas Davis could face a hefty legal bill next Friday despite launching an appeal in the High Court to the decision not to grant them a judicial review into the classification of the Tallaght Stadium as a soccer only venue for Shamrock Rovers.

All parties were back in court yesterday to settle on costs for the lengthy case with Shamrock Rovers and South Dublin County Council (SDCC) looking for Thomas Davis to foot the bill after they took the issue this far and duly being unsuccessful after the December ruling.

It's understood that Thomas Davis were looking to strike a deal whereby each party would pay their own costs, but after Rovers and SDCC indicated they would not comply, the GAA side subsequently confirmed their intention to appeal the overall verdict on the judicial review.

As matters dragged on, Justice Murphy told all involved to return next Friday where he would rule on the appeal and the costs. It is estimated that Thomas Davis could face a bill in the region of €500k in their worst case scenario.

All true apart from the fact that they were granted a judicial review which was thrown out in December, they didn't launch an appeal, they applied for leave to appeal and it's not now and never has been a 'soccer only venue for Shamrock Rovers'.

The highlighted part sums up the paucity of the entire case. They were willing to drop it for money, didnt get their way and are trying to drag it out some more.

TD denied right to appeal to Supreme Court and all costs awarded againt TD.

Its all over now. :D

TD denied right to appeal to Supreme Court and all costs awarded againt TD.

Its all over now. :D

Congrats.

And good riddance to the muckers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement