Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

• 18-10-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Someone I know who works on the sports desk of a national paper just texted me to say that Stan is gone and to expect an announcement around 4pm or 5pm this afternoon.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It won't be tea-time if it's true :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eh, it's true, I have a source in the IFA and he told me yesterday that if the result last night was bad Stan was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

"IFA"

The farmers association? How the hell would he know?

cough cough splutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Seaneh wrote: »
    eh, it's true, I have a source in the IFA and he told me yesterday that if the result last night was bad Stan was leaving.
    Are the Irish Farmers Association usually on the ball about this kind of stuff? ;)

Typo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe he#s taking over the Northern Irish jo and thats how the IFA know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

not that it matters but according to him he has no intention of resigning and the fai are behind him, so he has been told... 4 year plan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Just heard on the news that FAI chiefs are currently discussing Stan's future and its not looking good for him.... Hopefully ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jobonar wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that FAI chiefs are currently discussing Stan's future and its not looking good for him.... Hopefully ;)

What news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

DesF wrote: »
    What news?
    FM 104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Who would come in to replace him though?

There are no real stand out (realistic - Jose ain't taking it) guys around. You'd be looking at people like O'Leary who hasn't been heard of in years. Or George Graham. Souness would probably throw his hat into the ring.

Granted they would all be an improvement, but none would have be people we'd have been hoping for after Kerr.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I still have Stans autograph from when he was my favourite Aston Villa player, he was a man i held in very high regard (as a man and former player i still do) but as a manager he has failed and i really hope this is true.

act quick and get a manager in that believes that he cant fail as how can anyone do worse than Stans tenure. the only way is up surely.

O'Leary, Souness and Graham are far better managers than both stan and Kerr and would certianly be a step in the right direction.

Personally I'd hope for O'Leary or Souness.

As for not being heard of in years, DOL is only out of management a year and a half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah, but everyone stopped listening to him ("We are a young team...") long before that.

Souness would be the man to go after.

imo.

He wouldn't be affraid to drop players anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

get anyone in! ANYONE bar Staunton!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Souness? Are you off your ****ing heads? Apologies for the language but how many times does he need to be found out before people realise that he is bad news?

Seaneh wrote: »
    He wouldn't be affraid to drop players anyway!

Problem with that is that he can't sell half the squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Not sure about Souness, I'd sooner have O'Leary or Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Maybe Delaney will take the job himself!

In his world it's probably a good idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

wasnt on any other news

Paul Jewell would be the man in my opinion.

The question is though.

Who, in their right mind, would take a job working in that circus?

Jewell? Having a laugh with him, he'll want to get back into club management, and when the Ireland job goes tits up, as I've no doubt it will, he'll have no credibility left.

Ditto for any young manager in England.

You'd be looking for someone who is seemingly done with the club scene.

O'Leary and Souness spring to mind.

Kinnear and Dalglish have been out of the game for too long.

Look lads, you are delusional if you think any 'foreign' manager would touch that car crash in Merrion Square.

The Ireland job isn't attractive at the moment. And with Keane no doubt spreading the word about the total ineptness of the FAI all around the managerial circles in England, we'd be doing well to get anyone decent.

No one better mention Stephen Kenny, he will manage Ireland some day, but not before he has the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Keegan or Souness for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Souness, deffo not! Rafa was the only man to pick up the pieces in Liverpool after he left.

Gotta be Keegan, Dalgeish or Jewell imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I know many aren't fans of his time in management, but Aldridge would still want that job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've been waiting a year for this thread.

Please please please let it be true.

DOL, Souness, Sammy Lee, Graham, anyone who's ever had even a good cup run will do thanks. Just get rid of Stan.

I'd like to see the FAI actually search a bit though. I mean they've got a year before anything starts.

What I do not want to see is them sitting on their overpaid arses waiting for appplications. You end up trying to choose between Toshack and Aldridge and ultimatly go for Staunton.

Actually if I had a choice I'd go for a German manager. They may be able to add that 'pressure-what pressure?' quality that we seriously lack.

Karlsruhe are doing great in the Bundesliga. Approach manager, offer half million per year. Tell him he can finish out season.

If this doesn't work, what about Paul Jewell? He's good and it appears that he left wigan cause he didn't like the constant pressure of premiership management. Talanted guy and international duty could suit him down to the ground. Offer him half million.

If this doesn't work move on to next guy.

Do not sit on your bloated arse in your insignificant office on Merrion square and simply proclaim that the great and noble FAI will be interviewing.

DO SOME WORK!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seriously lads, O'Leary would be the worst appointment ever.
    He had a team of very talented youngsters at Leeds. The Villa fans grew to loathe his excuse making and talking up of the opposition.

This appointment would be another step back, no matter how attractive it may seem now I guarantee you would all turn on him within months, if not weeks.

• Advertisement

Before anyone mentions Troussier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Troussier
    Troussier and his wife Dominique converted to Islam on March 17, 2006 in the Moroccan capital Rabat where they live.
    He has taken the name Omar and his wife is no longer Dominique but Amina, they have adopted two local girls Selma and Mariam.

He might not be up for it.

Keegan said the other day he won't manage again.

He's running that place in glasgow now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Look lads, you are delusional if you think any 'foreign' manager would touch that car crash in Merrion Square.

But there are 'foreign' managers who will take any job if the price is right. Guus Hiddink for example (not for one minute suggesting that we will get him!). But if the FAI are prepared to pay enough it would be possible to get a decent manager with some experience. If they're only prepared to pay €400,000 (plus whatever Sir Bob is getting) a year, then someone like Staunton is all they're going to get.

I wouldnt mind Aldridge getting the job, although i think it would still be something of a risk and if the FAI were to give Stan the bullet, they may look for more of a sure thing.

Souness has improved massively as a manager and has admitted that he did almost everything wrong at Liverpool....he is very highly regarded in Turkey and i thought he did well at Blackburn and Newcastle. He would have all the players respect and would not be afraid to make big decisions.

Keegan would be my first choice though. Make him an offer he can't refuse :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keegan or Souness for me.

Keegan has ruled out a return to management
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=447372

WTF Keegan?

What's he done?

Jesus.

• Advertisement

Aldridge hasnt had a job in close to ten years for a reason, he was a crap manager.
    He did SFA, has no qualifications, hasn't done anything since he was sacked from his last job, how in the name of god would he be a good appointment?

If we'd have gotten Toshack last time I firlmy believe we'd have qualified.

Of the people likely to be interested in the job now, only DOL, Souness and Graham have the tatical knowledge and mentality to do the job.

Pity Omar* and his wife went all religious!

*Troussier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Roy Keane too inexperienced as well? me thinks he wouldnt want the job anyways...not yet.

O Leary is a bad choice. the amount of money he spent and still couldnt succeed.

Ireland need a manager who knows how to work with limited resources and still be successful. look at the likes of David Moyes or Big Sam at Newcastle now....or even Arsene Wenger who spends little on young players and moulds them to his teams needs. Im not saying that these are potential canditates as they wouldnt want the job....but its the type of manager we need.

most premiership managers fail at international level because they have to choose from a limited pool of players and these players dont suit their management styles.

Its going to be a real tough job to fill with such a canditate.

exactly!

presume thats a joke Des?

Not O'Leary anyway!
    Souness or Jewell for me.

• Advertisement

Washout wrote: »
    Roy Keane too inexperienced as well? me thinks he wouldnt want the job anyways...not yet.
    I knew someone would mention the bould Royston.

:rolleyes:

If anyone thinks either

a) The FAI Would even ask him
    or
    b) he'd actually work for them

You need your head read.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    presume thats a joke Des?

:confused:

What?

What HAS Keegan done?

He's won the 1st division twice, and the second division once.

Bra-fúcking-vo.

I'd say it's a valid point, wtf has he done in the last ten years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Keegan?! :eek: Next there'll be calls for Bryan Robson.

We need to go foreign, get a fresh approach and some new ideas. We're stale and need a good shake up. Someone who only knows the players on actual ability not reputation. Get in a Koeman or someone along those lines.

Keegan could be dismissed for the same reason O'Leary could be.
    Spent a tonne of money with no rewards.

Also remember him walking out on England after the 1-0 against Germany.
    Always thought that he bailed a little too suddenly that time.

Foreign is defo the way to go. Splash the cash for José.

Gillie wrote: »
    Keegan could be dismissed for the same reason O'Leary could be.
    Spent a tonne of money with no rewards.

Also remember him walking out on England after the 1-0 against Germany.
    Always thought that he bailed a little too suddenly that time.

And the time he became a blathering wreck on sky tv.

What the FAI needs is stability, not someone likely to lose his nut, or walk out on the job at the first sign of things going wrong.

Foreign is defo the way to go. Splash the cash for José.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fúck sake.

It certainly won't be José.

I know that, but a good foreign manager is what we need.

And the time he became a blathering wreck on sky tv.

What the FAI needs is stability, not someone likely to lose his nut, or walk out on the job at the first sign of things going wrong.

I'd say Ferguson laughed his arse off that day!

The next Ireland Manager will have a tough job no matter what so we need someone with a bit of stomach for the job!!
    And preferably experience!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement