Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think in terms of experienced managers and managers with talent, i think Keegan is the best we could get... although he has said he does not want to manage.

He broke Newcastle into the top 4, did well with City for a time and did ok with England (better than most) he very obviously knows how to set a team up. Which is where we are lacking at the moment.

we'll just agree to disagree, seems to be our theme for the day anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he very obviously knows how to set a team up. Which is where we are lacking at the moment.
    Well, I suppose it's getting near Xmas Time alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think in terms of experienced managers and managers with talent, i think Keegan is the best we could get... although he has said he does not want to manage.

He broke Newcastle into the top 4, did well with City for a time and did ok with England (better than most) he very obviously knows how to set a team up. Which is where we are lacking at the moment.

we'll just agree to disagree, seems to be our theme for the day anyway :)

For everyday!!!

Keegan had an unbelievable squad of players in 95/96 and couldn't get the job done. That's enough for me really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

One job listing on the fai careers page "Head of International Administration"... no manager jobs just yet :)
    linkhttp://www.candidatemanager.net/CM/micro/JobDetails.aspx?JID=x=wax=wa*t$x=wafli&MID=*x=wa(bbsyu~o&SID=t$qmkt$&Site=FAI

Dont think Koeman would be at all interested but yea, he would be an excellent choice.......Where is Deschamps now?

DesF wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it's getting near Xmas Time alright.

lol :D

Deschamps...pffft.

Nothing but a watercarrier.

Ur on fire today des :)

I'll be here all week, try the prawn coctail, it's delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Deschamps...pffft.

Nothing but a watercarrier.

ha ha love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered Stan some sort of deal whereby he becomes a director of football and there is a national coach appointed to work with him.

As for me - I would hope that the FAI bring in someone like John Aldridge.............sorry that's not even funny - but he does have infinitley more experience that Stan!

Seriously though, would Roy Keane be allowed to do two jobs?

Quinner might allow him??

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Keano - they'd never give it to him, he famously called them a shambles after that incident. Would be good for popcorn TV though. Zero international level experience.

DOL - Crap. Zero international level experience.

Keegan - why is he popular choice? He loved his fancy nancy football, but how would he cope with a team like Ireland where he couldn't just go out and buy a Faustino Asprilla? Bad idea. Limited international level experience.

Hiddink - forget it, he's under Roman's thumb for a long long time. He's got a chance to get Russia to Euro08, after that all roads lead to Stamford Bridge.

Toshack - meh

Dalglish - relied on Jack Walkers money in his one successful spell at Blackburn. Also hasn't managed in any capacity since '98, that's nearly 10 years out of the game. Zero international level experience.

Souness - we would not like him. Newcastle and Blackburn were hardly any great shakes under his reign, does not cope with pressure well. Zero international level experience.

Aldridge - Nothing to suggest he'd be any better than Stan. Zero international level experience.

If we just cant get an experienced international coach, then maybe Jewell is a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gillie wrote: »
    For everyday!!!

Keegan had an unbelievable squad of players in 95/96 and couldn't get the job done. That's enough for me really!

No but he came second to the most successful UK manager of all time.

Do you actually want someone who's won the league in England, Spain or Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Next there'll be calls for Bryan Robson.

QUOTE]

Shudder, could happen to just to get their own back.

Don't get your hopes up yet:(
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1018/stauntons.html

Nothing on the 4 O'Clock news bulletins anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Check this out on Wiki

Train Driver:
    In a unprecented move Irish rail employeed Steve to drive the train to Cork. Steve proved himself as an outstanding driver even though he had no training. An experienced driver was appointed by Irish rail to assist Steve but was too ill to actually make any trips. Although none of the trains piolited by Staunton actually made it as far as Cork Irish Rail claimed that their service level was up 130% on attempts and announced a 4 year plan to actually get a train to Cork

Class!!

Savman wrote: »
    Dalglish - relied on Jack Walkers money in his one successful spell at Blackburn. Also hasn't managed in any capacity since '98, that's nearly 10 years out of the game. Zero international level experience.

10 years out of the game is a fair enough point. But Kenny was an exceptionally talented manager. Crediting Jack walkers money is an insult. If he wanted it, I'd give it to him in a heartbeat.

For the people suggesting these exotic continental names like Mourinho and Deschamps - feet on the ground lads. Not a hope.

"Hi Jose, this is John Delaney from the FAI"

"Who? From where?"

Feck it, we can dream. Scolari.

We are looking for a manager with experience of players of differing levels of quality.

Some decent, some alright, some downright brutal.

He has to have moulded a team from scratch, bringing all players together, and creating a good spirit in the team camp.

Results need to have shown gradual improvements in his time in any previous job, which shows he has a plan, and has implemented it.

He needs to be good-looking and sexy.

Ladies and gentlemen.

I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

10 years out of the game is a fair enough point. But Kenny was an exceptionally talented manager. Crediting Jack walkers money is an insult. If he wanted it, I'd give it to him in a heartbeat.
    Liverpool fan then? His 80's record is impressive, no doubt about it. But that was over 20 years ago. His last real achievement was winning the premiership approx 12 years ago.

I wouldn't discourage his appointment, but I wouldn't be applauding either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Toshack, nick him from Wales and then robbie savage will dry his crying eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

If you say you have an eight year plan... you should be able to secure a job for at least 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

peter taylor would do a good job IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

You must be very young Savman! King Kenny both managed and played up front during Liverpool's glorious decade during the Eighties. A talented man who worked with, trusted and depended on Irish players, including Stan himself

A worthy contender IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

available candidates in britain on www.leaguemanagers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

What about Jorvan Vieira, he managed a country in crisis and made them Asian champions!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorvan_Vieira

John Gregory and David O'Leary Dream Team ftw.

Sav, I know you'd love that.

flanzer wrote: »
    You must be very young Savman! King Kenny both managed and played up front during Liverpool's glorious decade during the Eighties. A talented man who worked with, trusted and depended on Irish players, including Stan himself

A worthy contender IMO
    Sorry I foolishly overlooked his 80's record so I retract that comment. I'd still be cautious about his long term absence from the game and lack of experience an International level as a manager.

John Gregory
    yay
    David O'Leary
    /vomit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

How about Mike Bassett...

• Advertisement

I doubt its gonna happen unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fúck it, bring back Jack Charlton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So you reckon the best we could get is someone that doesn't want the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Why would the FAI be rushing to get a replacement now? This campaign is dead and our next competitive match isn't for months.

My guess is Stan will leave after the Wales game and the FAI will spend at least 3 months looking for a replacement unless a great candidate offers his services sooner.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So you reckon the best we could get is someone that doesn't want the job?
    :D

Wow, it's worse than I thought.

Keegan has said he doesnt want to get back into management, but if he had a change of heart and faniced a crack at the irish job (international, so not as much work as a PL team and not as much hassle as the England job), i think he'd be a great appointment. Obviously only if he wanted it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

feck it... if every Joe Public thinks they can do a better job, I propose WE become the next Ireland manager.
    How?
    A week before a competitive match, we vote for the squad in a 'X-Factor' style competition, and vote for our favourite player in each position.
    The squad is picked this way also on match day - voting via SMS and internet.
    Subs are made once a certain level interactively vote for a certain player to be swapped with an assigned sub.
    We're bound to do better than Stan! :D

roryc wrote: »
    How about Mike Bassett...
    At this stage, I'd be happy with Jose Mourinho managing the fooking side over the web. I'm sure with modern technologies we could set up some kind of live link during the games so that Jose could give tactical instructions while doing his shopping.

Heck it's worth a try.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    feck it... if every Joe Public thinks they can do a better job, I propose WE become the next Ireland manager.
    How?
    A week before a competitive match, we vote for the squad in a 'X-Factor' style competition, and vote for our favourite player in each position.
    The squad is picked this way also on match day - voting via SMS and internet.
    Subs are made once a certain level interactively vote for a certain player to be swapped with an assigned sub.
    We're bound to do better than Stan! :D
    Law of averages says we probably would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

International football is about two things imo, man management and tactics. If somebody could motivate the Irish team to want to win, and play a system suited to their strengths, I'd be happy with them in the job.

Keegan would be great, as would Jewell, as would O'Leary. Souness would be fine, once he didn't make an enemy, as we really don't have enough players for that. I still maintain the best route to go is to get a top class assisstant coach from one of the bigger clubs to take it on part time. It would give us a decent manager and allow them to develop their own management skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I knew someone would mention the bould Royston.

:rolleyes:

If anyone thinks either

a) The FAI Would even ask him
    or
    b) he'd actually work for them

You need your head read.

The FAI don't deserve him.

The fans that didn't stick by him don't deserve him.

I personally wouldn't want to see him lower himself.

Roy Keane is too much of a professional to work for such a cowboy outfit.

Your right anyone who thinks roy keane will ever manage Ireland needs their head checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Does the FAI have the money to attract a decnt manager? Would they, even if they did and could?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The only way Roy Keane will ever manage Ireland will be after his career as a manager, when he is finishing up in England, he would manage in his twilight years.

Keane is actually already above the Irish team.

Does the FAI have the money to attract a decnt manager? Would they, even if they did and could?

That depends what you mean by have.

PHB wrote: »
    The only way Roy Keane will ever manage Ireland will be after his career as a manager, when he is finishing up in England, he would manage in his twilight years.

and they basically made HIM the FAI.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    The fans that didn't stick by him don't deserve him.
    Stick by him walking out on his country in the World Cup? You''re dead right, we don't deserve it.
    I personally wouldn't want to see him lower himself.
    Too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, that's what I mean...

PHB wrote: »
    Yep.

So, incidentally, is Paul Jewell.

Stick by him walking out on his country in the World Cup? You''re dead right, we don't deserve it.

Too late.

Sent home.

Too late.

Lovin' the worms.

Lovin' 'em.

• Advertisement
Advertisement