Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Offtopicofftopicofftopic no one cares anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Does the FAI have the money to attract a decnt manager? Would they, even if they did and could?

they got 10m on saturday! thats plenty for even mourinho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we need to get an upandcoming manager from either the EL (I've no idea who is good from there, but an example would have been getting Big Sam before he left) or else from the lower leagues in England. Paul Ince for example has done really well with limited resources. Obviously, I'd like to aim higher, but someone in that ilk would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sent home.
    Tom-ay-to, tom-aa-to

Whatever about that anyway, he was a solid player with solid ego to match. I'd still be first to admit we could do with someone of his mentality.

Then again, I'm not sure whether he still has an axe to grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Savman wrote: »
    Tom-ay-to, tom-aa-to

Whatever about that anyway, he was a solid player with solid ego to match. I'd still be first to admit we could do with someone of his mentality.

Then again, I'm not sure whether he still has an axe to grind.

Just a gentle reminder anyway

McCarthy calls a press conference to announce Keane has been sent home. "I cannot and will not tolerate being spoken to with that level of abuse being thrown at me so I sent him home."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    I think we need to get an upandcoming manager from either the EL
    You've finally lost it.

There are no managers on the eL roundabout fit to manage at international level.

Rico?

Doolo?

Jonny Mac?

Nutsy? (well, Nutsy was just given the U23 Ireland gig).

Scully?

None.

None.

Nah we need to coax Pat Dolan from his comfy Setanta chair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    You've finally lost it.

There are no managers on the eL roundabout fit to manage at international level.

Rico?

Doolo?

Jonny Mac?

Scully?

None.

None.

Give Devlin a go :p

Nah we need to coax Pat Dolan from his comfy Setanta chair!

And lose the one guy with a bit of fashion sense from Setanta?

I think you sir have lost it!

Just a gentle reminder anyway

McCarthy calls a press conference to announce Keane has been sent home. "I cannot and will not tolerate being spoken to with that level of abuse being thrown at me so I sent him home."
    Fair enough. Tomato it is. But when you call reportedly your manager a P**** and a W***** you can't claim sympathy.

I remember Big Jack was on d'telly that night and said there's no way he can come down on Roy's side. But whatever, it's history (or so we have to believe).

In anyways, Sunderland are struggling in the PL atm so the time for Keane to manager Ireland is many years off.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm having a cup of tea.

That means it's tea time.

Is he gone yet?

Is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

STAUNTON RESIGNS

Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Staunton has just resigned from his post. The FAI received the letter from Staunton first thing this morning, in the statement Staunton said that, "I have always held the respect of the Irish fans from my playing days with Ireland. But last nights reaction was the final straw. I feel bitterly disappointed for the fans and I feel let down by the players for their performance against Cyprus last night.".

Staunton's tenure as Ireland manager has been riddled with poor results and poor performances and last night's 1-1 draw had Irish fans booing throughout the night..Carlsberg don't do foum posts but if they did they'd probably be the best in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You've finally lost it.

Rico?

Doolo?

Jonny Mac?

Scully?

None.

None.

There's one lad who's in an administrative role in Pats who's fairly decent...........not sure he'd want it though .

STAUNTON RESIGNS

Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Staunton has just resigned from his post. The FAI received the letter from Staunton first thing this morning, in the statement Staunton said that, "I have always held the respect of the Irish fans from my playing days with Ireland. But last nights reaction was the final straw. I feel bitterly disappointed for the fans and I feel let down by the players for their performance against Cyprus last night.".

Staunton's tenure as Ireland manager has been riddled with poor results and poor performances and last night's 1-1 draw had Irish fans booing throughout the night..Carlsberg don't do foum posts but if they did they'd probably be the best in the world!

you cun*

And lose the one guy with a bit of fashion sense from Setanta?

I think you sir have lost it!

Haha, I love his new longerish hair...!

Big Ears wrote: »
    There's one lad who's in an administrative role in Pats who's fairly decent...........not sure he'd want it though .
    Goes by the name of Rasher, I think he did a bit of work with a few youth teams before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Does the FAI have the money to attract a decnt manager? Would they, even if they did and could?

Probably could afford a decent one alright.

A good one? Eh..... not so much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

:D That had my heart racing! Fcukhead!
    STAUNTON RESIGNS

I've never felt so excited!

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Tomato it is. But when you call reportedly your manager a P**** and a W***** you can't claim sympathy.

I remember Big Jack was on d'telly that night and said there's no way he can come down on Roy's side. But whatever, it's history (or so we have to believe).

In anyways, Sunderland are struggling in the PL atm so the time for Keane to manager Ireland is many years off.

no I think you missed the part where mick SENT HIM HOME, he didn't walk out. what the hell has jack charlton go to do with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Seaneh wrote: »
    Toshack, nick him from Wales and then robbie savage will dry his crying eyes.

:confused::confused:

Id sooner have Stan. Didnt the Slovaks beat them 5-1 in Cardiff or something? (though they did get away revenge)

The evening is getting on and no further word. OP, what paper does your mate work at? And what exactly did FM104 say, that a meeting is currently in progress?

Well played alanmurphy83, well played son.

But, the distinct lack of any kind of link was an amateur mistake.

I was not taken in by your little joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

STAUNTON RESIGNS

Can we ban him for this? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tom-ay-to, tom-aa-to
    Who's this Tom lad you're talking about? Is he foreign? Ah sure give him a go at the job, he can't do any worse than Stan.

Well played alanmurphy83, well played son.

But, the distinct lack of any kind of link was an amateur mistake.

I was not taken in by your little joke.

Agreed but I thought if I put a link in people would click that straight away.
    gosplan wrote: »

I'm sure they can, but I'm also sure they wont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

gosplan wrote: »

Banning isn't good enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

lads....FFS... the Saipan thing... give it a rest!

alanmurphy? Your punishment is I am taking no action against the abuse you are receiving for your post.

You bastid!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Banning isn't good enough!

Give him Stans job!!

That's punishment enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Give him Stans job!!

Even he would be a step up from Stan!!

psi wrote: »
    lads....FFS... the Saipan thing... give it a rest!

alanmurphy? Your punishment is I am taking no action against the abuse you are receiving for your post.

You bastid!!! ;)

I love the abuse. I'm a sick sick man.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Give him Stans job!!

Sure I might make up a CV, start a press campaign and see what happens. Wouldn't mind the pay at all. Even if I only lasted a year, then they fire me, and I get my contract paid off. Win Win for me, the rest of the country will hate me, but after that post most of you probobaly do all ready.
    jobonar wrote: »
    Even he would be a step up from Stan!!

I thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A few names that are coming to mind that haven't been mentioned and might be interested would be;
    Steve Cotterill, Joe Kinnear, Dave Jones, Tony Mowbray (very unlikely though, seems happy at West Brom).

IMO, one of the most important things about the new man is that they have to be strong, and know how a team should be run. It seems to be that the Irish setup is very amaturish and Stan certainly wasn't the man to impose himself enough to get that changed. I think Kerr actually was. Just this being fixed into a more professional atmosphere is bound to put an extra air of professionalism into the team.

Then after this, they need to know how to put a team together, which any manager with any degree of past success will obviosuly have proven elsewhere, and have knowledge of tactics.

As much as I dislike him as a club manager, I dont think Souness would be the worst option. Wouldnt be my first choice at all, but at least he wont be in close quarters with the players all the time, so hopefully this minimizes the chances of him getting into a fight with someone. There don't seem to be any Bellamy style characters in the Irish team anyway, they all seem pretty grand fella's. The main reason I mention him, is because he'd be gettable. Being a pundit over here on a fairly regular basis could be a help in recruiting him.

Also, Brian Kerr is gonna be on The Last Word in the next few minutes to Slate the FAI!

no I think you missed the part where mick SENT HIM HOME, he didn't walk out. what the hell has jack charlton go to do with it anyway
    Everything actually. That was the opinion stated on national television by one of, if not the, greatest manager of the Irish football team.
    I doubt Roy would've used language like that with Alex Ferguson or even Big Jack himself, he'd have known better.

In my eyes, Keane let his country down. So I can't listen to this attitude that we'd be somehow lucky to get him and that he's some kind of fooking messiah. I don't have to like him to respect the player he was.
    But that goes to show how divided opinion is on the events of '02.

This is all irrelevant and OT.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I hope we lose against the Welsh. If thats what it takes to get this Muppet of a manager ou, then so be it.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Also, Brian Kerr is gonna be on The Last Word in the next few minutes to Slate the FAI!
    And rightly so IMO. I actually quite liked Kerr, couldnt understand why they got rid of him. We did get a bit boring during his time but at least we were organised.

I love the abuse. I'm a sick sick man.

Sure I might make up a CV, start a press campaign and see what happens. Wouldn't mind the pay at all. Even if I only lasted a year, then they fire me, and I get my contract paid off. Win Win for me, the rest of the country will hate me, but after that post most of you probobaly do all ready.

I thank you.
    sadly that wasnt really a compliment! the fluff in my belly button would also be a step up from stan and twice as intelligent! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads, i really dont think Stan is going anywhere :(.....i really hope i am wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

If he does go how about Steve Bruce?
    He seems to be having a bit of hassle with the prospective new owners at Birmingham about his future, that is if they take over.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lads, i really dont think Stan is going anywhere :(.....i really hope i am wrong though
    Don't jinx it! We can all hope untill told otherwise....

DeadSkin wrote: »
    He seems to be having a bit of hassle with the prospective new owners at Birmingham about his future, that is if they take over.

Jesus somebody I hadn't thought off. If he does leave Birmingham he could be good choice.

Jesus somebody I hadn't thought off. If he does leave Birmingham he could be good choice.

Why? Even his own fans don't like him

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why? Even his own fans don't like him

He knows how to organise his team and most of them fans do like him. Off course some where going to be turned against them when they went down but they came straight back up. We are not going to get a world class manager who has managed a club that has been competing in a top league. We need to look at realistic options and I think he is one.

We could do a hell of alot worse.... i doubt we'll have managers queuing up for teh job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

DeadSkin wrote: »

Bolton have already approached Birmingham with their vacancy in mind and Birmingham said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

I'd be happy with, and hoping for someone along the lines of David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Walter Smith, Steve Coppell etc. I dont literally mean one of these guys, just someone who is a decent, solid manager, with a proven track record of achieving with average players/squads.

Because, lets face it, we have an average bunch of players, one or two standout/potential lads, and a few ageing players who wont be around much longer. We can't attract a Mourinho or a Van Gall or anyone remotley near that quality!

We're gettin O'Leary, though only in 2 years when Stan leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Surely Roy Hodgson would take the job? ...and he is an outstanding candidate on top of the bargain. There's no need to be resigning ourselves to the second grade of british managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just on the Radio - Delaney will appear at 6o clock on TV to speak of Stauntons future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

STAUNTON RESIGNS

Excellent.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If you fancy a bet he's 11/10 on Betfair to not be in charge for the Wales match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just on the Radio - Delaney will appear at 6o clock on TV to speak of Stauntons future!

For real?

Advertisement