Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He's not going anywhere the 6:01 news would of led with the story if Delaney was gonna say that Stan was getting the booth.

It'll be the usual, "Building for the future, 4 year contract, New manager" bollóx.
    He doesn't deserve a booth. He deserves the boot. :mad:

j/k :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

F*ck Delaney is the spittin' image of that one on Coronation St.....Hayley!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Perhaps the 'review' is to give time until after the Wales match before they fire him to avoid having a caretaker for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He doesn't deserve a booth. He deserves the boot. :mad:

j/k :p

It's actually for his job as an icecream salesman.

Dunno how I spelt that wrong. :confused: It was more work to get it wrong!

Delaney effectively just said "I didn't hire him, don't blame me".

Dear God.

It's actually for his job as an icecream salesman.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

To be fair, other than calming fan outrage, there is nothing to be gained from sacking him right now. I'd wait til after the Wales game if I were going to sack him myself. I might make the decision now, I might start the new search now, but I wouldn't sack him til next month.

Really the claims of them keeping him as a cheap option rather than hiring a world class manager holds no water either, the money the FAI loses from failing to qualify is huge. How they can review this qualifying campaign and keep him would be beyond me, he has failed to learn from his mistakes and shown not consistency, logic or reasoning in his management. He's shown poor preparation for games and poor judgement.

All that said, I don't think he'll be sacked. The only think I can think of in Stan's favour as an international manager is that he is not John Toshack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dear God.

and thus the internal mind boggling mechanisms of the self preserving decrepit faculty that is the FAI have begun to turn. Delany and co are now looking for the scapegoat to blame for having hired him. probably some lowly office worker will get sacked along with Stan, they'll produce a new report and end up hiring a rugby coach in an effort to be seen as proactive and innovative. and the world will resume as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dear God.

what was the actual quote and context?

Linky?

• Advertisement

He just kept repeating himself and tried to distance himself from the appointment and blame it on 3 others (sub committee) and said the rest of the board agreed to it. And just waffled on about what great achievements he's made as the CEO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Listening to Delaney it sounds like Stans a goner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fck sake, i really wish there was a strong interviewer out there to force an answer!

The RTE guy wasn't doing bad, but didnt push when he wasn't answered.
    E.g
    "Do you personally take some responsilility for the failure of steve staunton"

Ans "well nobody's made of granite, theres tough days in every job, and this is certainly one of those days, we're not made of granite."

What?!? Would have loved the interviewer to just say "...ok...but do you take some responsibility for this debacle? And if not do you feel those who are responsible made a mistake?"

Id say he'll be kept for the Wales game, and let go then.

What id like them to do is sound out any of the decent candidates now, if any express an interest, go for it ASAP, if not, then wait till after the wales game. Its nothign new to look for a replacement whle the old guy is still in the job.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Fck sake, i really wish there was a strong interviewer out there to force an answer!

The RTE guy wasn't doing bad, but didnt push when he wasn't answered.
    E.g
    "Do you personally take some responsilility for the failure of steve staunton"

Ans "well nobody's made of granite, theres tough days in every job, and this is certainly one of those days, we're not made of granite."

What?!? Would have loved the interviewer to just say "...ok...but do you take some responsibility for this debacle? And if not do you feel those who are responsible made a mistake?"

there was probably some massive 6 foot 13 security guard slash PR guru gesturing angrily at the RTE guys off camera and threatening they'd never have access to anybody in the Irish setup again if they don't comply...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

psi wrote: »

Linky?

It was something like that he was a member of the 3 man committee and the choice was further approved by the 10 man main executive. something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

What a despicable performance from Delaney in that interview. If any one is any doubt as to who is the bigger evil between Delaney / Staunton just take a look at that interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

He basically said he doens't understand why people link him with the manager's failings as it's nothing to do with his job. The interview will be on rte.ie soon when the 6.1 is put online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    He basically said he doens't understand why people link him with the manager's failings as it's nothing to do with his job. The interview will be on rte.ie soon when the 6.1 is put online.

6.01 news is broadcast online daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Delaney also said "John Delaney doesn't make decisions regarding the future of Irish football, the board does"

FFS ! So why was he so quick to trumpet how HE would bring a world class manager into the fold after Kerr. Looks like he did neither, we certainly didnt get a world class manager, in fact he's not even a manager and looks like good aul John had nothing to do with it, sure he's only the CEO :rolleyes:

Stan €8,000 a week, anybody know what that works out at after tax :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That interview left me seething. Delaney was despicable, constantly covering his own tracks, trying to distance himself from all the blame and blowing his own trumpet, reminding everyone what a messiah he's been.

The only saving grace from the interview is that it really does sound like Staunton will be out. Seems bitter-sweet now though, when we remember what muppets are still in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Listening to Delaney it sounds like Stans a goner.

He certainly didnt say yes or no when asked would he be in charge for Wales. IIRC he always gave a resounding and confident yes after the other disasters (its actually become a bit of a tradition for Delaney to appear on RTE the night after whatever massacre happened), so it sounds like some sort of turnaround.

You have to wonder about these journos. Do they not know that managerial appointments/sacking announcements are done at pre arranged press conferences, not one on one interviews with Tony O`Donohoe? The journalists should have realised that when it went past 4pm and they werent contacted by the FAI to come to a press conference in Merrion that nothing would happen. Honestly, are they handing out journalism degrees if you collect tokens these days or something?

• Advertisement

On wiki:

It is his venture into the management of the Irish National Team that is the most controversial aspect to his career.

For reasons only understood by the FAI, they sacked manager Brian Kerr and promised not to rush into the appointment of a new manager. Instead they opted to wait until they secured a "world class manager". The nation held its breath.

Laughably, after some months passed by they wheeled out the inept Stan as the new "world class manager". The nation gaped incredulously hoping that this was a big joke. The cretinous Stan had no experience of managing any football team. Ever. With one gob smackingly stupid decision the FAI had made the Irish people the laughing stock of the footballing world.

On the day of his appointment the git-like Stan stated "I'm the gaffer" almost as if he couldn't believe it himself. The nation were speechless.

None the less, the workshy, money-grabbing, ginger tit started making his preparations for the Euro 2008 qualifying matches. The incredibly unequipped Stan manager "managed" to lose to Chile in a friendly in a pitiful performance. Worse was to come.

On his 1st competitive away match against Cyprus the 100% talent free Stan headed over to Nicosia believing that it was going to be an easy game to win. As a result he didn't bother his ginger bollocks to prepare the team for the game. He ****ed it up royally by conceding 5 ****ing goals against a side that were painfully ****. The cock-featured Stan learned nothing from this and compounded his miserable failure by remaining in the job and reiterating that he's "the gaffer". Cyprus declared it to be national holiday.

He then completely ruined any chance of qualification by 2 more drawn games at home.

The disgraced Stan then then took the team to San Marino and in a display that any under 12 side would be ashamed of the team nearly drew the game only saving it by a goal well into injury time. The nauseating Stan then bleated on about being delighted by the "three points" even though it is the single worst performance ever put down by a national side.
    :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Staunton

psi wrote: »

Linky?
    BaZmO*, delta_bravo and Andrew 83 have it in one. I can't recall Delaney's exact words as I began to tune out around the time Delaney started to speak.

I hate the man.
    Classic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To be fair Staunton is being made the scape goat for last nights atrocious performance when in fact the players on the pitch should shoulder most of the blame.
    These are professional footballers and are expected to perform as such.
    What I saw last night were players bereft of a decent first touch and basic skills I would expect to see in an under 14 team.
    If I got 10 of my mates around we would play more cohesively than the shambolic mess last night.
    Sure Staunton isnt a suitable candidate to be manager but I think its time people woke up and realised that our international players simply arent good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

To be fair Staunton is being made the scape goat for last nights atrocious performance when in fact the players on the pitch should shoulder most of the blame.
    These are professional footballers and are expected to perform as such.
    What I saw last night were players bereft of a decent first touch and basic skills I would expect to see in an under 14 team.
    If I got 10 of my mates around we would play more cohesively than the shambolic mess last night.
    Sure Staunton isnt a suitable candidate to be manager but I think its time people woke up and realised that our international players simply arent good enough.

heheheh

I 100% agree with that and i do believe most on here are now starting to think it too.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Yes you and 10 of yore mates with Stan managing might do at least the same job.He is tactically inept and his teamtalk probably involves 'right lads , i picked a few of you in positions that you are not comfortable playing in but that doesn't matter because i am de Gaffer'.

:rolleyes:

d22ontour wrote: »
    Yes you and 10 of yore mates with Stan managing might do at least the same job.He is tactically inept and his teamtalk probably involves 'right lads , i picked a few of you in positions that you are not comfortable playing in but that doesn't matter because i am de Gaffer'.

:rolleyes:

They are professional footballers not part time Eircom league players or pub team playhers, they get paid to play football. There is no excuse for those type of performances fair enough the manager is clueless but still he sends out 11 players who get well paid and in our group are paid a lot more than our opponents.

No excuse for that type of ****.

kdjac

Its not just the managers job to pick 11 fella's and tell them to go play nice football. The 10days they meet up for are to get them doing drills together, getting comfortable with each other, getting some form of understanding going.

I get the impression none of this actually takes place though..

The comment about getting yourself and 10 mates to go out and ye'd play more cohesively then that is kinda a good one. See how'd do with 10 strangers who don't really know what position they'll be playing in the next game (or if they'll be playing at all) and who have insufficient training together and insufficient tactial work.

As many have said to counter the argument of "our players aren't good enough", well they do stuff for their clubs that doesn't come when they put on the green for Ireland.

One of the biggest problems i saw from the last night, and one which lies at the blame of both the players, and the management, was people not making themselves available for each other, leaving us with the many times someone like O Brien (a full back in CM) is left trying to make a pass he's simply not capable of when theres nobody around for the simple ball.

Its not just the managers job to pick 11 fella's and tell them to go play nice football. The 10days they meet up for are to get them doing drills together, getting comfortable with each other, getting some form of understanding going.

Coach vs manager thing is a differnet topic tbh, ferguson doesnt do tactics or drills he is a manager, Rafa does everything, Mourinho does both, Capella does tactics and doesnt talk to the players etc:

A bad manager doesnt make players play badly.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

One of the biggest problems i saw from the last night, and one which lies at the blame of both the players, and the management, was people not making themselves available for each other
    That's a very good point. I was watching McGeady go on his runs last night, cutting inside and he had to get slower and slower waiting for someone ahead of him to move into a position for a pass. It never came. Reid and Keane know each others game. That seems to be about it.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Coach vs manager thing is a differnet topic tbh, ferguson doesnt do tactics or drills he is a manager, Rafa does everything, Mourinho does both, Capella does tactics and doesnt talk to the players etc:

A bad manager doesnt make players play badly.

kdjac

Thats a fair point. Id actually say Stan probably doesn't do the coaching side, what with the complete lack of experience, but whoever does, doesn't seem to be doing a very good job.

My coach in college used to sh1te on incessantly about triangles, always forming triangles all over the pitch, whenever a man was on the ball there should be 2 options making themselves available so the man on the ball always has 2 simple options to keep moves going. As soon as you release the ball you move to a new position with a clear path to whoever has the ball. Theres plenty of drills to encourage this kind of play, but it doesnt look like that type of play is encouraged in the ireland setup.

The Cyriots on the other hand did plenty of this, they outpassed us for a lot of the game. It doesnt take good players, just hard workers who keep moving and can play the ball 10feet in a straight line, but it looks great when the whole team is at it.

Eirebhoy; You finally look justified by your faith in McGeady, he looked very good when he came on. Was delighted to see him finally play on the left, he's always impressed me there whenever i see him there for Celtic, and the right really wasn't suiting him for whatever reason for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair point. Id actually say Stan probably doesn't do the coaching side, what with the complete lack of experience, but whoever does, doesn't seem to be doing a very good job.

My coach in college used to sh1te on incessantly about triangles, always forming triangles all over the pitch, whenever a man was on the ball there should be 2 options making themselves available so the man on the ball always has 2 simple options to keep moves going. As soon as you release the ball you move to a new position with a clear path to whoever has the ball. Theres plenty of drills to encourage this kind of play, but it doesnt look like that type of play is encouraged in the ireland setup.

The Cyriots on the other hand did plenty of this, they outpassed us for a lot of the game. It doesnt take good players, just hard workers who keep moving and can play the ball 10feet in a straight line, but it looks great when the whole team is at it.

Lol i did that too, give it go get it back!!!!!!

I mean its simple even if you dont get it back your an option thus helping the team.

Cyrpus did it quite well even with no attacking intention they knocked it about their back 8 and waited for an oppurtunity whilst we tried to be more direct and yet not get to the byline and swing it it in for Doyle or play it to Keanes feet with his back to goal.

Theres a lot wrong and in mentality of the fans is getting rid of stan will sort everything out, i think a good "manager" may get some better performances out of the players but the fact that there isnt a line of talent coming forward suggests problems elsewhere.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

but i think there is enough talent to qualify for major tournaments. a decent manager MIGHT'VE made the difference, ie. 2 wins against Cyprus and 1 against Slovakia and wouldn't we have been laughing all the way finals?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but i think there is enough talent to qualify for major tournaments. a decent manager MIGHT'VE made the difference, ie. 2 wins against Cyprus and 1 against Slovakia and wouldn't we have been laughing all the way finals?

Assuming for a minute that Stan is the best man for the job (i know i know) he did pick the best team available and with internationals that really all you can do (every intern manager has the same problem, you get whats fit), fair enough some sort of tactical plan can help but you cant coach them as they are meant to be the best available irish players all paid professionals.

So if he did pick the best available what could he have done to not concede 5 vs Cyp and not concede a late goal to Slo.

Going back to Kerr who was ultra defensive and sent out teams 1st and foremost not to lose, the players wouldnt listen and did their own thing, is that the managers fault? A certain youth international who played in malayasia with ireland told me once that kerr woke him up at 7am one day and sat on the end of his bed for 2 hours telling him in minute detail what Riquelme would do in the final and what he needed to do to stop him, he was 100% spot on and the player makred him out of the game.

Big jack instilled pride and played without doubt the horriblest football ever but he got any decent player with a granny to play for us (now its the other way round players using their grannies to get out of playing for ireland).

I do feel sorry for Stan if they offered me the job i would take it regardless of money managing ireland would be enough for me.

I got slaughtered for my opinion on the players last time but i stick by it, stan will go but most of the players will still be there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i feel sorry for stan too tbh. doesnt change the fact that he should go though, and that if we had a decent manager, we would have had a good shot at making the finals next summer :( all ifs and buts i know

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i feel sorry for stan too tbh. doesnt change the fact that he should go though, and that if we had a decent manager, we would have had a good shot at making the finals next summer :( all ifs and buts i know

Your beating Slovakia with a few minutes to go in the game...as a manager what do you do???

Not picking on you but the answer is simple and the players should know the one simple thing
    cant score from your own ****ing half LUMP!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

A decent manager would have made the difference, no doubt about it. Any time I listen to Stan in an interview, he makes me cringe. His body language and tone of delivery is all wrong. Imagine it. In the dressing-room 15 minutes before kickoff, applying the deep heat, stretching, etc., and the adrenalin pumping due to the reception you got from the fans during the warm-up. In walks Stan to deliver his pre-match gee-up.....not very inspiring.

Had to laugh at one shot of Stan on the line last night. 3 minutes to go and we're losing 0-1 at home to Cyprus. Stan jumps up off the bench, runs towards the line, starts clapping his hands together whilst looking at his charges, and shouts - "COME ON!!"

A tactical genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

fair enough some sort of tactical plan can help
    Some sort of plan is even needed for 5 a side football, Ireland look like a team doing nothing , hoofing the ball to Kilbane because he is tall isn't tactically astute.Constantly playing players out of position when logically playing them where it benefits the teams performance and not hinder it also helps.Kerr was lambasted because he was an EL manager but he at least had a gameplan.Players with little to no confidence for the manager will not perform to their abilities especially when he doesn't know what he is doing.It is no coincidence that this campaign has been far and away the worst i have ever witnessed from an Ireland team.Stan will go 'eventually' and yes the players will still be here but so will Delaney 'our other problem' , but considering this group i would think with a proper manager we would have done a hell of a lot better than what we achieved with Stan in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is a monster thread so maybe this has been mentioned already.

I wasn't suprised to see Delaney distance himself from the appointment of Stan.
    He said he was done by committee and wasn't his personal decision. Looks like he's trying to save his skin.

Even though he is chief executive, the buck clearly doesn't stop with him!

Some sort of plan is even needed for 5 a side football, Ireland look like a team doing nothing , hoofing the ball to Kilbane because he is tall isn't tactically astute.Constantly playing players out of position when logically playing them where it benefits the teams performance and not hinder it also helps.Kerr was lambasted because he was an EL manager but he at least had a gameplan.Players with little to no confidence for the manager will not perform to their abilities especially when he doesn't know what he is doing.It is no coincidence that this campaign has been far and away the worst i have ever witnessed from an Ireland team.Stan will go 'eventually' and yes the players will still be here but so will Delaney 'our other problem' , but considering this group i would think with a proper manager we would have done a hell of a lot better than what we achieved with Stan in charge.

Why do you assume a manager will make players not do that? You played a 7 side recently and didnt do what the "manager" said and got raped 26-2 was that the managers fault :D

If we had a proper manager would we have punched above our weight for another 2 years? The players are not good enough, a good manager would paper over that some say Scotland are doing it now but maybe :eek: they do actually have good players all who came from Vogts complete overhaul off the scottish youth policy?

Far more to irelands problems than the manager!, Delaney!, the players! and just think what kerr did with the youths is all lost so much now as a Director of Football of an irish club he signing 2 polish players in january.......

kdjac

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    This is a monster thread so maybe this has been mentioned already.

I wasn't suprised to see Delaney distance himself from the appointment of Stan.
    He said he was done by committee and wasn't his personal decision. Looks like he's trying to save his skin.

Even though he is chief executive, the buck clearly doesn't stop with him!

Guy i clever clever man, he did set up a commitee to find the best manager available it took a few months irc. Was well posted here that he was absolving himself early doors, but he was one who had to agree on the recommendation.

Delaney couped the 2 previous leaders all the while backed by cronies now he in charge and his cronies still behind him, dont expect any change int he fai anytime soon.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

not long now id say...ill be interested to see if he is in the job on monday.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1019/stauntons.html

Assuming for a minute that Stan is the best man for the job (i know i know) he did pick the best team available and with internationals that really all you can do (every intern manager has the same problem, you get whats fit), fair enough some sort of tactical plan can help but you cant coach them as they are meant to be the best available irish players all paid professionals.

So if he did pick the best available what could he have done to not concede 5 vs Cyp and not concede a late goal to Slo.
    A proper manager wouldn't of left Carsley out of the squad because he felt his days were numbered only to realise in the next match, after been slaughtered in Cyprus, that in he would be needed for the rest of the campaign.

Constantly playing players out of position when logically playing them where it benefits the teams performance and not hinder it also helps.Kerr was lambasted because he was an EL manager but he at least had a gameplan.Players with little to no confidence for the manager will not perform to their abilities especially when he doesn't know what he is doing.
    Exactly. I'd say that most of the team just look at Stan's decisions and tactics and just say to themselves, this guy hasn't a clue and what's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Exactly. I'd say that most of the team just look at Stan's decisions and tactics and just say to themselves, this guy hasn't a clue and what's the point.

Yeah, we were just commenting during the game on Wed why don't John O'Shea and Joey O'Brien just agree between themselves on the pitch to swap positions! Would have suited both better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Peter Denies Jesus
    15 Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple. Since that disciple was known to the high priest, he entered with Jesus into the court of the high priest, 16 but Peter stood outside at the door. So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to the servant girl who kept watch at the door, and brought Peter in. 17 The servant girl at the door said to Peter, “You also are not one of this man's disciples, are you?” He said, “I am not.” 18 Now the servants [4] and officers had made a charcoal fire, because it was cold, and they were standing and warming themselves. Peter also was with them, standing and warming himself.
    Peter Denies Jesus Again
    25 Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. So they said to him, “You also are not one of his disciples, are you?” He denied it and said, “I am not.” 26 One of the servants of the high priest, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, asked, “Did I not see you in the garden with him?” 27 Peter again denied it, and at once a rooster crowed.

This is exactly what John Delaney did to Stan on TV last night

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Souness to become Ireland manager and his first competitive game in the WC quals will be against Turkey in Fenerbahce's ground... What would the odds be on that?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7055135.stm
    Staunton exit likely on Tuesday

Steve Staunton faces losing his Republic of Ireland job on Tuesday when the Football Association of Ireland holds an emergency board meeting.

Staunton's reign suffered a new low on Wednesday when his side drew 1-1 against Cyprus at Croke Park.

After the Euro 2008 qualifier, FAI chief John Delaney refused to give public backing to the Republic manager.

The FAI is refusing to comment but BBC Sport understands the meeting is set to take place on Tuesday.

In an RTE interview on Thursday, Delaney was repeatedly asked to back Staunton but the FAI chief refused to do so.

"This is the third or fourth crisis around the management," he said.

"We had it after Cyprus, we had it after San Marino, we had it after Prague so people are getting conditioned to this form of crisis but I think that it's important board members get time to reflect on recent performances."

Staunton vowed to stay on in the post after Wednesday's game but time now appears to be running out for the Dundalk man.

Ireland are third in the Group D table but Germany and the Czech Republic have already qualified for the final in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Fingers crossed

funnily enough now that it's actually happening i really do feel a bit of sympathy for Stan. why didn't he try to save some of his dignity and just walk? is he that money hungry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he walks, what's he gona do? He isn't gona get hired elsewhere. He has to try and stay as long as possible in order to try turn it around to have any future in managment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BBC are reporting that the FAI are having an EGM on Tuesday, and it will signal the end of Stan as Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Niall Quinn to replace John Delaney
    Dave O'Leary to replace Staunton
    John Aldridge as No2

AS unlikely as that would be.....what would ye all make of it?? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement