Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dunno about quinners. Id probably be happy enough with it but its a big difference being head of a club and being head of how football is run in a country. I think he'd be clever enough to delegate to those who know better though, as he seems to have done at Sunderland.

Aldo, neither here nor there, no major problem with it or anything as long as its only number 2.

D'OL, would be happy enough to get him. Its a step up, and having him in the bag is better then merely hoping and praying for some "world class" manager to take pity on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Read in the Sunday Times today that Liam Brady might be interested. hmmm wonder how that would go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I would love to see david o leary take the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Sarge wrote: »
    I would love to see david o leary take the job.

Why ?
    If you ask me he would be a terrible choice.
    He got to the CL Semi with Leeds and spent millions in the process, and did nothing after that.
    He did nothing with Villa either.

What we need is a manager that can do well with meager resources, not someone how has spent millions.

When Kerr left I reckoned Curblishey would be a good replacement, that is the kind of guy we need.

I am not well enough up on soccer outside the English leagues but I am suer there are good club managers in Europe that may be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jaap Stam for the Ireland job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stam would be cool, he's as qualifed as Staunton :P O'Leary has expressed an interest, not sure, but he'd be better than Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not sure about O'Leary either, but i think the main reason i am against him is the fact that i cant stand the bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just to play Devils advocate:

I'm not sure Delaney needs replacing, mainly because I don't know enough about what he's done. I know before Staunton that even the biggest critics of the FAI(eg. Dunphy) regarded him as good for the organisation and, in many ways, a moderniser.

Also, the FAI doesn't begin and end with the national team. If someone can tell me that Delaney has messed up the grassroots game and the Eircom League then fair enough.

What he's learned from this is that he is not the person to be picking international managers. I was reading in the times yesterday that they're trying to get Liam Brady to go about finding a new coach in a discreet manner. This is obviously a much better option then interviewing one candidate very publicly.

Delaney will get nothing from this because he's trying to distance himself from Stan's appointment and no-one will buy that. If he simply admits that FAI suits are not good at picking international managers and that it's not going to happen again then he'll actually leave with some credibility.

As regards Stan and his payout.

They gave him the job, made public statments that regardless of losing games he's still got four years...now they're not backing him.

He never was the right person for the job but he deserves all he can get.

I just want the next appointment to go well. I don't want the leaks and suspicious sums of money being placed on candidates. I actually don't want to hear about it until the manager is in place, whoever it may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well where to start with this one?
    gosplan wrote: »
    Just to play Devils advocate:

I'm not sure Delaney needs replacing, mainly because I don't know enough about what he's done. I know before Staunton that even the biggest critics of the FAI(eg. Dunphy) regarded him as good for the organisation and, in many ways, a moderniser.

He picked a manager with no previous experience whatsoever because he got him on the cheap and then tried to sell it tho the fans as a 'dream management team' when bringing in a clearly past it Bobby Robson.
    Also, the FAI doesn't begin and end with the national team. If someone can tell me that Delaney has messed up the grassroots game and the Eircom League then fair enough.

Ok it may not have gotten worse but it certainly hasn't improved. Why do all our young talented players go to England? Because we've nothing here. Poor facilities, poor coaches and a poor enoguh standard of football. The game here lacks money, money that the FAI aren't providing.
    What he's learned from this is that he is not the person to be picking international managers. I was reading in the times yesterday that they're trying to get Liam Brady to go about finding a new coach in a discreet manner. This is obviously a much better option then interviewing one candidate very publicly.

And we've learnt he's not the man to be running our association. It's time for him to go and start fresh, new manager included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not sure about O'Leary either, but i think the main reason i am against him is the fact that i cant stand the bloke.

did you hear matt cooper last word on friday night?
    cascarino was being asked about o'leary. for a few questions he was skirting the issue - "i know dave would like the job" and "he is currently unemployed". the usual safe stuff.

then matt goes - ah come on tony is there something you are not telling us?

and tony goes - well to be honest matt i have always found DOL to insincere and only looking after himself - or something to that effect. he mentioned DOL having written some infavourable articles about cascarino in his time.

i thought it made for very interesting radio.
    personally i wouldnt touch dave o leary , his semi final for leeds counts for nothing to me. when the chips were down he couldnt motivate them in the league etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

did you hear matt cooper last word on friday night?
    cascarino was being asked about o'leary. for a few questions he was skirting the issue - "i know dave would like the job" and "he is currently unemployed". the usual safe stuff.

then matt goes - ah come on tony is there something you are not telling us?

and tony goes - well to be honest matt i have always found DOL to insincere and only looking after himself - or something to that effect. he mentioned DOL having written some infavourable articles about cascarino in his time.

i thought it made for very interesting radio.
    personally i wouldnt touch dave o leary , his semi final for leeds counts for nothing to me. when the chips were down he couldnt motivate them in the league etc.

There is definitely a history there between them alright.

I heard O'Leary being interviewed as part of the "Legends of Irish Sport" that the Off the Ball lads do on Newstalk and he was asked a question about Cascarino, and he wouldn't answer them, saying he didn't want to talk about him.

I wonder what went on.

Perhaps it has something to do with Cascarino's fake Irishness.

DesF wrote: »
    Perhaps it has something to do with Cascarino's fake Irishness.

:eek: Big Cas wasn't Irish? :p

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: Big Cas wasn't Irish? :p

BULLSH!T - sure he is related to the cascarinos from mayo isnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He picked a manager with no previous experience whatsoever because he got him on the cheap and then tried to sell it tho the fans as a 'dream management team' when bringing in a clearly past it Bobby Robson.

That's not really my point. I agree with the above but is it enough to get rid of the guy. Are there talented people waiting in the wings? Does anyone actually know? I'm not a fan of Delaney but all I'm saying is

'Ireland qualification went terribly - everyone associated with it OUT!!'

...isn't the most far-sighted strategy when we're not looking at the implications beyond the national team.

Everyone can clearly see that Staunton is worse then(all?) other international managers, therefore he needs to go.
    Can we judge this for Delaney? Like I said, if someone can construct an argument based on evidence that Delaney should go, i.e. occasions of him messing up, what should have been done, and who should possibly replace him, then I'll probably agree with it.

But Delaney out for who? Do we know what the people under him who'd get the job are like?

Why do all our young talented players go to England? Because we've nothing here. Poor facilities, poor coaches and a poor enoguh standard of football.

I'd say that the eircom league has come along quite well in recent times but if the standard opinion is the above then...
    The game here lacks money, money that the FAI aren't providing.

where is the money going to come from?

And we've learnt he's not the man to be running our association. It's time for him to go and start fresh, new manager included.

No, and this is my original point. What you and I know is that he's not the man to be selecting managers but not much more. That is not the limit if running a national football association.

I'm not claiming to be correct here. Like I said he may be woefully inept in pretty much every area of his job but I don't know, and neither do most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have to say i dont want an irish manager next time. i just want someone that has managed at international level so he can see what we're doing wrong in comparison also a very technical manager would be nice, like Brian Kerr but with balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Delaney has a few good points, he's very good with the money and he manages the press well (which can be both good and bad).

Apart from the money he just doens't seem to have the competance to manage the FAI properly. He's made hundreds of the little mistakes that hold the game back, from following the eL I could give you a list of them as long as my arm. The most recent thing is postponing the cup final for a week because they forgot to book a venue (if you believe the official line, the unofficial one is worse). Any one mistake like that is forgivable but it's the regularity of them that makes the league a joke in the eyes of most people.

Something else I was wondering about is the academy in Abbottstown. I know nothing about it so I could be completly wrong but they've been talking about progressing that plan for about 5 years now and they seem no closer to building anything. There's been no planning lodged or even architects drawings done up.

If it were simpley the case that Delaney was a good boss who made one mistake, you'd have people from all the other sections of the FAI defending him but it's not.

stan's bebo - http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=361288485

we might find some answers there ;)

stan's bebo - http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=361288485

we might find some answers there ;)

lol at the outrage in some of the comments on that page. If i didn't know better id think people thought it was really his...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

According to news reports this morning, the time and location of the FAI board meeting won't be announced to the board until an hour beforehand. The tension is killing me, can you imagine what's going on in Stan's mind! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

flanzer wrote: »
    According to news reports this morning, the time and location of the FAI board meeting won't be announced to the board until an hour beforehand. The tension is killing me, can you imagine what's going on in Stan's mind! :D

knowing the FAI they'll tell all their dublin based members that the meeting is in Galway in an hour.

What time's it roughly due to be at? Better not be another 6:01 news job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He's probably thinking the meeting could be a bit of a banana skin, but the lads are up for it and whatever they decide hes just got to get on with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

can you imagine what's going on in Stan's mind! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22CZTrfsE4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

can you imagine what's going on in Stan's mind! :D

Yes I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Souness has today pulled out of the race to become Bolton manager.
    I wonder if he got a 'better' offer.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the ireland job, one would surely have to think 'no' so, right?

dobsdave wrote: »
    Souness has today pulled out of the race to become Bolton manager.
    I wonder if he got a 'better' offer.;)

Where did you read that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Graeme Souness has pulled out of the running to become the next Bolton manager.

Following the departure of his former Liverpool team-mate Sammy Lee last week, Souness was mooted as a contender to take over at the Reebok.

However, Souness has told Sky Sports News he is no longer a candidate to assume control of the Premier League's bottom club.

The former Liverpool and Blackburn boss has contacted Bolton chairman Phil Gartside to say he 'no longer wishes to be considered' for the job.

Football 365

Hmm.

That is very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Souness 2nd favourite for the job @5/1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Is it possible Spurs have approached him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Is it possible Spurs have approached him?

Who Stan or Souness???:rolleyes:

Does anyone think stan will manage to get another managers job after this?

Does anyone think stan will manage

The only person who thought Stan could manage was John Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he'll have to work his way up like most managers, start coaching somewhere, do a good job, then work up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Peter Taylor or Paul Jewell for Irish manager. The FAI will pay four years pay to Staunton for less than two years work, so we are already paying big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What time was this meeting on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

rte speculated it might be at 6.30 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/axing-stan-will-be-a-bloody-mess-1202459.html

"Steve Staunton's 21-month reign as Republic of Ireland manager is set to come to an expensive, and potentially bloody, climax in Merrion Square today.....Behind the famous green door both the paid, and unpaid, are bracing themselves for the Staunton shrapnel to explod -- with potentially devastating consequences.......Staunton won't go cheap but it remains to be seen if he goes cheep, cheep instead......Usually decisive and forceful, Delaney has fiddled while Irish soccer has burned since the Cyprus shambles.....such an event would split the board and pre-emt a public storming of Merrion Square. "

Quite possibly the most metaphor laden over dramatic ****e Ive ever read :D Its like something from Brass Eye.

Or George Hamiltons commentary.

Don't be surprised if Staunton doesn't actually get the boot.

It has to be voted on. If the majority are willing to give him more time, then he'll stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

It has to be voted on. If the majority are willing to give him more time, then he'll stay.

I fear you could very well be right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well the sports guy on Today FM alluded to the fact that there's some in the FAI that think he should be allowed to stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well the sports guy on Today FM alluded to the fact that there's some in the FAI that think he should be allowed to stay on.

how can anyone in the FAI even think such a thing....does the pride of the nation/ loyalty of the irish fans not count for anything? If the FAI cannot make the right decision then a revolution is in order.

EVERYONE has says that he has done nothing but made tacticail and team selection errors since he took over the job...he has had the oppurtunity of one qualifying period and he has failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Washout wrote: »
    how can anyone in the FAI even think such a thing....does the pride of the nation/ loyalty of the irish fans not count for anything? If the FAI cannot make the right decision then a revolution is in order.

EVERYONE has says that he has done nothing but made tacticail and team selection errors since he took over the job...he has had the oppurtunity of one qualifying period and he has failed miserably.

Yera but shura we're grand like that was just stan getting a feel for the bike like ole ole ole ole ole oleeee

If some people, high enough up in the FAI to have a say in him staying, genuinely think that campaign went as well as possible and another manager wouldn't have made a difference, its an incredibly worrying time..

lol.

Revolution would mean getting UEFA to recognise another Irish Football Federation. It would get like The Life Of Brian on this island. (PFJ, JPF, JPPF, PPFJ etc etc).

It would mean the clubs (a-ha, here's where the eircom league suddenly becomes important) splitting, it would mean the players playing for the 'new' national team for a time, meaning they would not have anything like World Cups to aim for (some might say that there would be no difference in this aspect).

Believe me, I have thought this out. The FAI can't simply be replaced overnight.
    Not everyone my friend, not everyone.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Yera but shura we're grand like that was just stan getting a feel for the bike like ole ole ole ole ole oleeee
    :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If some people, high enough up in the FAI to have a say in him staying, genuinely think that campaign went as well as possible and another manager wouldn't have made a difference, its an incredibly worrying time..

It has been a worrying time in the FAI since the backstabbing in the voting that meant Charlton was given the job. I'm not arguing for or against Charlton's style, etc, but it was widely known that someone else was going to be voted into the job, before several people 'changed' their votes at the last minute, in an attempt to backstab someone else.

The FAI is a rotten organisation, has been since pretty much since it was formed.

I am not Anti-FAI simply becasue of some bitter and twisted eircom league thing, which some of you seem to think, it is because I have seen them fall from pillar to post with decisions for years. Nothing ever gets done, and empty promises have been the order of the day for many years.

It's just a pity it took so long for

1. Saipan to happen
    2. This current debacle to happen.

But still, the FAI will dither and dother, tell us it's changing. maybe this time we won't be so quick to believe them.

But even if we don't. What can we do about it.

Not one person in the FAI has the balls to stand up to anyone else anyway.

If they do, they get shafted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I also do not consider it a foregone conclusion that he will be sacked but I hope that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

DesF,

You seem to be in the know on the FAI. I've a couple of questions.

1. How is the FAI run?
    2. Who runs it?
    3. Who is accountable for the actions of the FAI, ie. say if hypothetically(!) I wasn't happy with the actions of the FAI who would I complain to? Is it a completely indepentant body?

DesF,

You seem to be in the know on the FAI. I've a couple of questions.
    Actually, my name isn't really Des. It's John. John Delaney.
    1. How is the FAI run?
    Good question, but I alluded to it before. It's like the old Soviet governments.

The next leader is picked from the group of people he left behind, or appointed by the previous leader.

It's 'supposed' the be a democracy, but in reality, everyone knows who is going to get voted into the positions of power. If someone votes against the grain, well then, good luck to them getting any kind of influential position in future.

If you question the actions of those in power, you get sent to Siberia.

Actually. I want to expand on this.

JD might take recommendations from sub-committees, as he did when SS was appointed manager, but at the end of the day, the buck stops with him. He could have vetoed the appointment, but he didn't.

Now, decisions are made, but no-one from outside the sub-committees will question them, because when they are on sub-sommittees themselves, no-one will question their decisions.

You get me? The Ten Man Committee is broken up into sub-sommittees for decision making. It makes a report back to the ten man committee, and JD, then it gets approved.
    2. Who runs it?

That ten man committee JD was on about on the news last week.

3. Who is accountable for the actions of the FAI, ie. say if hypothetically(!) I wasn't happy with the actions of the FAI who would I complain to? Is it a completely indepentant body?

:D:D:D

Having a laugh right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Thanks John.

Advertisement