Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just go back to my last post.

I added a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if Staunton doesn't actually get the boot.

It has to be voted on. If the majority are willing to give him more time, then he'll stay.
    The FAI have to make €100m by selling 10,000 premium seats. There's no way Stan is going to be allowed stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

lol.

Revolution would mean getting UEFA to recognise another Irish Football Federation. It would get like The Life Of Brian on this island. (PFJ, JPF, JPPF, PPFJ etc etc).

SPLITTER!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really really scary but did anyone hear this thing about Shane Long?

Detail are sketchy but story goes that he got sent off a while back for underage and incurred a 5 match ban.

The ever so smart FAI promoted him to the senior team and promptly forgot about the ban

If he had have come on from the subs bench in the away Slovakia game, it would have been an automatic three nil defeat.

Did anyone else hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

JD might take recommendations from sub-committees, as he did when SS was appointed manager, but at the end of the day, the buck stops with him. He could have vetoed the appointment, but he didn't.

So JD really was responsible for Stan's appointment, even tho' he said he wasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I've had enough of them at this stage, it's always lies lies and more lies.

The only way they will learn is if the fans stop going to the games, stop buying their ****ty merchandise (with all the lovely Eircon logos) and generally ignore them until they are forced to change.

gosplan wrote: »
    Really really scary but did anyone hear this thing about Shane Long?

Detail are sketchy but story goes that he got sent off a while back for underage and incurred a 5 match ban.

The ever so smart FAI promoted him to the senior team and promptly forgot about the ban

If he had have come on from the subs bench in the away Slovakia game, it would have been an automatic three nil defeat.

Did anyone else hear this?
    It's a very complicated rule that I doubt any association knew about. He was banned from playing 1 match for the U19s and 4 matches for the U21s. He wasn't banned from playing for the seniors. The only thing is that if there's a senior match within 24 hours of an U21 match while his ban was still in pace then he can't play in it. When the FAI asked UEFA if he was eligible to play for them last year they said it was no problem. They never mentioned this 24 hour rule. They only found out about it last week and Long withdrew from the squad through "injury". UEFA let the FAI away with it because they previously told them he was ok to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

pity he didnt come on for the 5-2 cyprus match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The FAI have to make €100m by selling 10,000 premium seats. There's no way Stan is going to be allowed stay on.

This is another point I want to address actually.

Are the Irish people willing to put up with a few years of mediocrity, like the Scottish people, while new systems are put in place?

Evidently not.

Stan has been on and on about this four year plan, backed by the FAI.

But this leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of people who demand success, and demand it NOW.

If the FAI appoint a man who delivers immediate success, much like Jack Charlton did, then in a few years we'll be left just as Charlton left us. McCarthy had to toally re-build that side, and we didn't qualify for a tournament for 8 years.

Do people forget this?

It's six years now since we qualified for anything, will be eight by the time 2010 comes around.

Don't forget. The next manager will have the same players to work with.

Maybe Steve Staunton tried his damndest to motivate those players. maybe they are 'unmotiveateable'.

I'm not defending Staunton, or the FAI here.

But if the FAI rush into appointing 'Mr. Popular' in a bit to sell seats, it will be the biggest mistake they could ever make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

But if the FAI rush into appointing 'Mr. Popular' in a bit to sell seats, it will be the biggest mistake they could ever make.

That's a bit dramatic now... :)

The "we're building the team" talk is nonsense. It's an excuse to be able to lose games because "we're building the team".

We should be playing our best players in their best position. Of course bring young lads through the system, but that's what the under 21's are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maybe Steve Staunton tried his damndest to motivate those players. maybe they are 'unmotiveateable'.

Surely if you're about to play for your country you don't need a manager to motivate you. We're talking about grown men here. If they're not motivated by pride then they shouldn't be picked at all.

I agree we need to build for the future but I think we have enough quality to ensure that we don't have to endure years of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

dublindude wrote: »
    That's a bit dramatic now... :)

The "we're building the team" talk is nonsense. It's an excuse to be able to lose games because "we're building the team".

We should be playing our best players in their best position. Of course bring young lads through the system, but that's what the under 21's are for.

Unfortunately due to both injuries and lack of talent our brightest under 21 players have to be in the senior squad. We don't have a big enough pool of players to have good sides in both categories. I'd love if Ireland, Long, McShane etc all played 21s but it can't happen. Most of our talent skips 21s and goes straight to senior level. It's not good for the development but if it meant Shane Long was in the team instead of Caleb Folan or Jon Macken then I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If the FAI appoint a man who delivers immediate success, much like Jack Charlton did,

I take issue with this. Charlton did not bring immediate success.

At the time, the Irish team had been slowly improving for over a decade.

We went from a Cyprus-esque level team to a much more competitive team under John Giles.

Much of this had to do with the changes Giles brought in, such as dispensing with the selector panel and bringing the international management set up into the modern era.

After Giles, Eoin Hand built on the foundation Giles laid, to the point that we were desperately unlucky not to qualify for the world cup.

When Charlton came in, the renaissance was already in full flow, and we had good players coming through before we qualified for 88. What Charlton brought was a big name in the game that perhaps swayed granny players to declare for us, but it is a matter of debate as to whether the Irish team's success was down to Charlton considering we were on an upward trend at the time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Even if Stan stays, no doubt we'll be drawn against at least 2 'big' seeded teams in the WC qualifier, and you can bet on it that they'll be great sell-outs again and tickets hot property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Serbian

Are the Irish people willing to put up with a few years of mediocrity, like the Scottish people, while new systems are put in place?

Evidently not.

Stan has been on and on about this four year plan, backed by the FAI.

But this leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of people who demand success, and demand it NOW.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am in favour of replacing Staunton, but I wouldn't expect instant success from his successor either. I would never expect an Irish team to be able to compete with the very top teams in Europe, we will probably never have the players to achieve that.

What I would expect is that we can compete with teams like Cyprus and Slovakia however. It's the 2-2 result and the 5-2 / 1-1 results which say to me that Staunton is not doing a good enough job. The Irish team was a dis-organised shambles in those three games (as well as in the 2-1 win over San Marino).

We just need a manager who can organise and motivate this bunch of players. I'd say that would have been enough to see us a least fight for second place in the group we are currently in, and not fall short with 3 games to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't be surprised if Staunton doesn't actually get the boot.

It has to be voted on. If the majority are willing to give him more time, then he'll stay.

If this happens i'm going to hold you personally responsible for jynxing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

staunton summoned to the crown plaza hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Serbian wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I am in favour of replacing Staunton, but I wouldn't expect instant success from his successor either. I would never expect an Irish team to be able to compete with the very top teams in Europe, we will probably never have the players to achieve that.

What I would expect is that we can compete with teams like Cyprus and Slovakia however. It's the 2-2 result and the 5-2 / 1-1 results which say to me that Staunton is not doing a good enough job. The Irish team was a dis-organised shambles in those three games (as well as in the 2-1 win over San Marino).

We just need a manager who can organise and motivate this bunch of players. I'd say that would have been enough to see us a least fight for second place in the group we are currently in, and not fall short with 3 games to go.
    Agreed. While I would love it if Ireland qualifies for 2010, I do not expect it and I do not demand it. What I do demand is that the team gives it a damn good shot, try their very best and play with pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

According to BBC Sport, Staunton is addressing the FAI's board before they make a decision.

Thank god he's not a persuasive speaker.

According to BBC Sport, Staunton is addressing the FAI's board before they make a decision.

Thank god he's not a persuasive speaker.

FAI: Why should you keep your job?

STAN: I dont know, you tell me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

post of the week.

So, Staunton stays for 2 more years!

We can look forward to him fulfilling his four year plan. He's already brought so many young players through, look at how he developed Darren Gibson, Jonathan Douglas and Darren Potter to the extent that more seasoned players like Connolly and Miller can be left out of the team. We're building for the future and you know, after a full campaign, if every stays fit, we might find our best team.

I'm so optmistic about it all, it sometimes hurts.

psi wrote: »
    So, Staunton stays for 2 more years!

We can look forward to him fulfilling his four year plan. He's already brought so many young players through, look at how he developed Darren Gibson, Jonathan Douglas and Darren Potter to the extent that more seasoned players like Connolly and Miller can be left out of the team. We're building for the future and you know, after a full campaign, if every stays fit, we might find our best team.

I'm so optmistic about it all, it sometimes hurts.

one second here, that sounds like an announcement... has there been an announcement??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

one second here, that sounds like an announcement... has there been an announcement??
    Not afaik. Billo just said during the Man Utd - Kiev half time piece that the Crown Plaza was an FAI set up to distract the meejiah and that the real meeting is being held in a secret location. What odds its being held under the Panel's desk? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Well it looks like he s gone. Tony O'Donohue just said on Prime Time that there is going to be a press briefing later tonight.

BTW Frank looks like he is a ghost, good auld RTE production values.

Tony O'Donohue just said on Prime Time that there is going to be a press briefing later tonight.

It's to announce that he will be staying on as manager to see his four year plan through with the full support of the FAI.

FAI Discussion primetime now

Miriam says RTE will show the press conference live tonight. Better not be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

FAI Discussion primetime now

I wish Miriam would show off a bit of clevage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's to announce that he will be staying on as manager to see his four year plan through with the full support of the FAI.

nah a 2 year extension

Give the 4 year plan a bash again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Given the complete lack of options we might be as well off to keep him. Seriously. What else have we got?

edit: I'll take it if they're stuck, could use that 300K salary!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Given the complete lack of options we might be as well off to keep him. Seriously. What else have we got?

How much would a thousand monkeys with a thousand tracksuits cost?

I'm serious about them keeping him btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anybody else would be better than what we have now. But I would be a bit worried if O Leary came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Has there been an statement?

I've checked rte, breakingnews.ie and aertel.
    No info given

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Lol, im not sure Miriam reeally cares

"Now we will talk to the man who used to be John Delaney, the former FAI
    chief executive"

"Well, if i can correct you, i never was John Delaney, I was just the former FAI chief executive" :confused::D

From his bits on the news, the champs league live broadcasts and his Prime Time bit it sounds as if Tony O`Donohoe had something else in mind he would have sooner done than spend a cold night running around near the airport like a headless chicken.
    KerranJast wrote: »
    What odds its being held under the Panel's desk? :rolleyes:

With Dunphy sitting inches away? Id pay every penny I have to watch it kick off :p

Poland and Finnish manager's contracts come to an end soon. As Bernard O'Byrne said, don't be looking at the guys that are unemployed.

Richie Sadlier said that he talked to a few people who played under O'Leary and they have very little respect for him as a manager.

shane86 wrote: »
    Lol, im not sure Miriam reeally cares

"Now we will talk to the man who used to be John Delaney, the former FAI
    chief executive"

"Well, if i can correct you, i never was John Delaney, I was just the former FAI chief executive" :confused::D
    I think he had to get that point across because Delaney is the main man at the FAI. O'Byrne was nothing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

We have to stop looking for managers that we are familar with around Ireland and the UK and start looking at managers who have a proven record of getting teams of similar status to Ireland qualified .

It's not as if they don't exist there is a good few of them out there , if John Toshack leaves the Welsh job and is hired by the FAI I will shoot John Delaney[and no I'm not joking] .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm serious about them keeping him btw.
    Going against the grain just for the sake of it.
    Lets be honest here psi, you don't think that he's gonna be kept on.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Going against the grain just for the sake of it.
    Lets be honest here psi, you don't think that he's gonna be kept on.

I'm not happy about it, but yes, if I could, I'd put money on it right now..... *cough* and so should you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm not happy about it, but yes, if I could, I'd put money on it right now..... *cough* and so should you :)
    Well its currently 3/1 on Betfair if you're brave enough.

Think i'll stick my euro on him going at the attractive odds of 1/16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Big Ears wrote: »
    ...if John Toshack leaves the Welsh job and is hired by the FAI I will shoot John Delaney[and no I'm not joking] .

And I will help you. You see it's thoughts like Toshack taking over that would nearly have you wanting Stan to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dya know what lads? employing Stan is a bit like employing a genetic algorithm. just try out a load of random stuff and see what happens, and then repeat with the stuff that kinda possibly maybe works... sure if we keep him he's BOUND to get it right someday!!!

that is if he doesn't die first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Might the fact Souness turned down Bolton be an indication he could be available for the FAI?

All but confirmed now by Tony O'Donoghue that Stan has got the bullet.

well tony thinks that staunton's "21 year reign" as ireland manager will come to an end soon :D

Tony O'Donoghue is on now. According to him, Stan is gone. He just said the following on news 2:

Steve Staunton's "21 year reign as Republic of Ireland manager is over".......

Did anyone else hear this or am I going crazy? :confused:

But yes, Stan looks to be gone fo' sho'. Tony's looked very annoyed all night, as would anyone who is chasing the FAI on a cold October night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

well tony thinks that staunton's "21 year reign" as ireland manager will come to an end soon :D

Think he meant to say he's still early in his 21 year reign...

Yay, i heard correctly.

*looks in mirror* I'm looking well for a 42 year old!

• Advertisement
Advertisement