Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan to announce resignation at tea-time today?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

GBX wrote: »
    Might the fact Souness turned down Bolton be an indication he could be available for the FAI?
    I was wondering that myself when I heard it earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Just on sky sports news now that he's officially been sacked. So that's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Woohoo \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:):)

phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

psi wrote: »
    So, Staunton stays for 2 more years!

We can look forward to him fulfilling his four year plan. He's already brought so many young players through, look at how he developed Darren Gibson, Jonathan Douglas and Darren Potter to the extent that more seasoned players like Connolly and Miller can be left out of the team. We're building for the future and you know, after a full campaign, if every stays fit, we might find our best team.

I'm so optmistic about it all, it sometimes hurts.
    It's to announce that he will be staying on as manager to see his four year plan through with the full support of the FAI.
    How much would a thousand monkeys with a thousand tracksuits cost?

I'm serious about them keeping him btw.

:confused:
    Who were you listening to?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DUBLIN, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Ireland’s national soccer coach
    Steve Staunton has been sacked by the Football Association of
    Ireland (FAI), Irish public broadcaster RTE reported on Tuesday.
    RTE said the FAI’s board had taken the decision after
    convening a meeting earlier on Tuesday. Staunton had appeared
    before the body’s management.
    There was no immediate confirmation from the FAI.
    The former Liverpool and Aston Villa defender had come under
    renewed pressure after last week’s 1-1 draw with Cyprus ended
    Ireland’s hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008.

Ibid wrote: »
    Woohoo \o/

I wouldn't go dancing on his grave though. He's a decent lad who was given a job he's ill-equipped to do. I'd wish him well from here on. The real culprits are the clowns who put him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go dancing on his grave though. He's a decent lad who was given a job he's ill-equipped to do. I'd wish him well from here on. The real culprits are the clowns who put him there.
    Ah no, I'm a Villa fan and all. Steve, you did an absolutely atrocious job and I'm happy to see you go, but best of luck in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

http://psi.justgotowned.com/

:D

and so the FAI's innovative experiment with artificial intelligence just came to a premature end. tis a sad day for humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Rte.ie must be gone home. no update on there yet.

Souness I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Spot on really, he had the enthusiasm but that isn't enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finally this sorry experiment has been brought to a close. I likewise wouldn't wish to dance over Stan's grave though. He never should have been given the job by the suits.

no official announcement yet according to RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thank Jesus for that. Maybe the next manager could have some actual experience of managing a club. Or even an international side.

But with Delaney still there, the root cause remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The real culprits are the clowns who put him there.

They will probably point the finger at the milkman tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jaysus the lads at rte are way behind ... http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1023/stauntons1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

after how long this thread has been going on I think I'll need to see
    this confirmed by a second news source

eolhc wrote: »
    after how long this thread has been going on I think I'll need to see
    this confirmed by a second news source
    Just on sky sports news now that he's officially been sacked. So that's that.

SSN and BBC?

Edit: oh and Reuters.

• Advertisement

What are everyone's thoughts on the FAI giving the media the runaround? Poor Tony O'Donoghue has had a very long day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well said, until Delaney and Sons are removed there is very little to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

SSN and BBC?

Edit: oh and Reuters.

maybe i'm just sad to see it end

not Staunton's reign...but the speculation :)

do hope steve has more success in his next job

What are everyone's thoughts on the FAI giving the media the runaround? Poor Tony O'Donoghue has had a very long day!

They're an embarassment really. It was obvious this was going to generate big media interest, but all they had to do was announce that there would be a press conference at xx:xx time and leave it at that. No, lets play silly beggars instead.

The Sky Sports News guy was on a few minutes ago and he's still hanging around outside the hotel with other reporters, they'd been told there will be a press conference but they've no idea when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im just waiting for a release saying;

We've made a decision - but we're not going to be having a press conference till tomorrow. Now. We've decided to add a bit of fun and have a treasure trail with the final clue being the location of the conference - the first clue is under a can of cambells soup in a certain Spar in Wicklow - Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well a good night for Irish football , not stans fault , but appointing the assistant manager of Walsall to manage the Irish football team is just not acceptable.

The FAI played more stupid games with the media tonight, once again prooving they have learnt nothing from Saipan, and are just a bunch of power hungry amateurs , out of there depth .

Will they push the boat out , and get someone that the large loyal fan base deserve, probably not -- failing that someone smart , but O'Leary will be more of the same (ok a bit better -- but still not acceptable to me !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thebaz wrote: »
    well a good night for Irish football , not stans fault , but appointing the assistant manager of Walsall to manage the Irish football team is just not acceptable.

The FAI played more stupid games with the media tonight, once again prooving they have learnt nothing from Saipan, and are just a bunch of power hungry amateurs , out of there depth .

Will they push the boat out , and get someone that the large loyal fan base deserve, probably not -- failing that someone smart , but O'Leary will be more of the same (ok a bit better -- but still not acceptable to me !)
    At least O'Leary won't have a tonne of money to blow, we can leave that to Delaney and the boys.

All that workin' is thirsty work, scoop?

Did SSN just presume or are RTE really that slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

The FAI......are just a bunch of power hungry amateurs
    If only they weren't being payed for doing what they do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The FAI are some cowboys! Obv we all knew that but it has been reinforced by the ridiculous manner they have operated tonight. How can anybody trust them to do anything? Here they are screwing with the media and therefore the football public who deserve to be able to read about their press conference tomorrow morning but won`t be able to because the FAI screwed them over. The arrogance is unbelievable.

It beggars belief... How can they be trusted to pick a new manager?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hey, I was playing the whole "I think I failed those exams when I know I really didn't" card :)

Just in case of heartbreak. Win, win for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You know it would be brilliant if the press just went home. It would make my day if the FAI finally came out for the press conference and not a single member of the press was there. That would make me happy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

woooo232 wrote: »
    How can they be trusted to pick a new manager?
    Not many people trust them to to make a cup of tea at this stage, never mind pick a new manager.

All we want is the pride back in the Irish side and a competant governing body for football in the Republic. Is that too much to ask? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Just a word for those talking about O'Leary being a good replacement. Did you see Richard Sadlier talking on Prime Time? He actually said, that any player he knew that worked under him, had no respect for him and reckoned it would be a very bad appointment:eek:

It seems even the BBC are a bit flustered about today's events:
    Steve Staunton has reportedly been axed as Republic of Ireland manager following an emergency meeting of the Irish Football Association on Tuesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7056354.stm

D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

but appointing the assistant manager of Walsall

pretty sure he was just assistant coach, which became asst manager when the FAI decided to hire him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The Football Association of Ireland and senior international team manager Stephen Staunton have agreed by mutual consent to terminate his contract following a meeting in Dublin today.

FAI President David Blood thanked Stephen Staunton and his management team for their dedication and commitment to the senior international team since their appointment in January 2006.

“They have brought through many young players and leave behind a squad with strong development potential,” said the President.

“As a member of the three man committee which made the recommendation to appoint Stephen and his team, I am disappointed that things have not worked out the way I, Stephen or my colleagues on the Board expected.”

The FAI Board will now seek to appoint an outside advisor from within the football industry to assist them in the recruitment of a successor.

The Board will select people, with considerable football experience in the professional game, to appoint the new manager.
    Devlin retains post for time being.

Givens in charge for Wales tie with under 21 manager V Montenegor to be decided

Delaney admits he is mostly to blame for the appointment

I'm quoting 'soccerc' over on foot.ie here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Nunu wrote: »

Quote away :D, it's all true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Nunu wrote: »
    He's a journalist so you're probably OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

DesF wrote: »
    Maybe Steve Staunton tried his damndest to motivate those players. maybe they are 'unmotiveateable'.

Considering my sisters boss seen a few senior players in eircom tracksuits walk out of the Beachcomber chipper in Malahide last week munching burgers, Id tend to agree about lack of motivation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Did SSN just presume or are RTE really that slow?
    RTE broke it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It seems even the BBC are a bit flustered about today's events:

D'oh!

according to sky sports, the FIA got involved yesterday too - apparently McClaren moaning at them about other teams 'cheating' wasn't keeping them busy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Call_me_al wrote: »
    pretty sure he was just assistant coach, which became asst manager when the FAI decided to hire him.

According to Dunphy he was the "Assistant cone collector at Walsall" -- classic !
    Which required the advice and consultancy of an outside professional, none other than Brian Hamilton , the Irish produce many smart people , Delaney is meant to be a shrewd businessman , but with his FAI blazer on , he and the rest have been one of the most inept organisations in Ireland , in parallel with the Health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

According to Dunphy he was the "Assistant cone collector at Walsall" -- classic !
    Which required the advice and consultancy of an outside professional, none other than Brian Hamilton , the Irish produce many smart people , Delaney is meant to be a shrewd businessman , but with his FAI blazer on , he and the rest have been one of the most inept organisations in Ireland , in parallel with the Health service.

Little known fact about Dunphy.

He once managed a losing Republic of Ireland international side and was absolutely dreadful playing the majority of players out of position!

BTW, the Bryan Hamilton consultancy was post McCarthy not post Kerr.

Advertisement