Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Cake

Options
  • 18-10-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a christening cake for about 100 people?

The only cake I dont want is sponge and fresh cream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Shelli -

With all due respect, may I suggest you open your local phone book? Bakeries tend to specialize in cake-making, and in my experience they are not opposed to making Christining goodies (of whatever size or shape).

Does it seem to anyone else that there have been a lot of threads recently with people looking for local shopping advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mannings do tray bakes and I am sure would do you a gaint browine and ice the top of if you got in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Ayla wrote: »
    Shelli -

With all due respect, may I suggest you open your local phone book? Bakeries tend to specialize in cake-making, and in my experience they are not opposed to making Christining goodies (of whatever size or shape).

Does it seem to anyone else that there have been a lot of threads recently with people looking for local shopping advise?

I had a look online and have contacted a few people, I was just wondering if anyone could recomend somewhere, or even some small home business who could do it. Sometimes people who do it from home rely on word of mouth and dont advertise....home baking tends to be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

100 people for a Christening? Sounds like a lot for one small baby. We had the Christening at home with both extended families and some close friends of each of ours and still it came to less than 30 people. My mother made the cake and one of my sisters iced it beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Big family both sides :D

Then a few friends each and hey presto...huge gathering.

And not only is the little one having a christening, but next week he's having a welcome party in his grandparents house in the UK....for the people who cant make it over for the christening.

OH's parents live in the UK and are having the party. My parents are pretty much organising the christening. I love a good party so I'm not going to complain! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dame wrote: »
    100 people for a Christening? Sounds like a lot for one small baby. We had the Christening at home with both extended families and some close friends of each of ours and still it came to less than 30 people. My mother made the cake and one of my sisters iced it beautifully.

The OP is looking for some advice, not a judgment. This is a useless post in fairness, if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute them leave it. If you really want to tell people about your christening then maybe start a new thread if you think it's that interesting.

The OP is looking for some advice, not a judgment. This is a useless post in fairness, if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute them leave it. If you really want to tell people about your christening then maybe start a new thread if you think it's that interesting.

My advice was to see what talents people around her had. Plenty of people can bake beautiful cakes and ice beautiful cakes. It can be a nice touch to have the cake homemade rather than a shop-bought one. However, with 100 people it could be hard to make a cake big enough, so yes, shop-bought may be better in that instance.

And your advice was? Pretty useless post you made there in fairness, wasn't it? Actually, if your wife is still on job-seekers allowance she could make a cake? Or is she still in Germany with you while "seeking" a job in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dame wrote: »
    My advice was to see what talents people around her had. Plenty of people can bake beautiful cakes and ice beautiful cakes. It can be a nice touch to have the cake homemade rather than a shop-bought one. However, with 100 people it could be hard to make a cake big enough, so yes, shop-bought may be better in that instance.

And your advice was? Pretty useless post you made there in fairness, wasn't it? Actually, if your wife is still on job-seekers allowance she could make a cake? Or is she still in Germany with you while "seeking" a job in Ireland??

no need to get personal Dame and bring history from other threads into it. I was not going to make a point about trying to get a cake for 100 people because I do not know anywhere I can recommend. I just had to mention how silly your remarks were.

Seeing as you are so interested in my wife and her employment status, she is back in employment now for quite a while, that's the beauty of being highly qualified and well educated.

no need to get personal Dame and bring history from other threads into it. I was not going to make a point about trying to get a cake for 100 people because I do not know anywhere I can recommend. I just had to mention how silly your remarks were.

Seeing as you are so interested in my wife and her employment status, she is back in employment now for quite a while, that's the beauty of being highly qualified and well educated.

Glad to hear she's back in employment! :D
    My remarks were not silly and at least I had some advice. You didn't but made a pointless post to attack another poster (me). By the way, I don't care how qualified your wife is as long as tax-payers (again, me (and the rest of us)) are not paying for an extended holiday abroad. I doubt she's as qualified as me anyway! :D:p Now, back in your box.

Shelli, best of luck with the Christening and welcome party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rigth enough of the snide remarks and personal comments.

If anyone has an issue with a post then report it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement