Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise for friend

Options
  • 18-10-2007 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

He's a taximan with 260,000 miles on the clock. Its a 00 Vw Passat TDI. Took a bang at weekend. Costs estimated at 3 grand to repair??? Back Axle needs replacing. New wing front door and passagner door plus new wheels. Is it worth fixing or should he bite the bullet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I'd bit the bullet!!

If hes got somewhere that he can leave the car sitting for a few months - sell parts on ebay - everything - interior and all!
    Soon enough the engine will start giving problems unless he's serviced it really, really well.
    260k miles is a good return - if he got another 00 with avg. milage and got the same out of it, id say he'd be delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If he got something like this and got another 150K miles??? Only another 3k and thats without haggling :D
    Car may never drive the same again after all the repairs
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=749708

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm with Curran. If the Passat is in top condition with a good service history and no major work coming soon, it's a tough decision though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Curran wrote: »
    I'd bit the bullet!!

If hes got somewhere that he can leave the car sitting for a few months - sell parts on ebay - everything - interior and all!
    Soon enough the engine will start giving problems unless he's serviced it really, really well.
    260k miles is a good return - if he got another 00 with avg. milage and got the same out of it, id say he'd be delighted!!

Oh its serviced every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Treated like a baby. I drove it myself on Monday and enginewise its like a car with 80k miles on the clock . Running very well althought it will need some major work soon. He bought it from the UK with 40k miles on the clock. Has a feeling it might have a few more miles prior to his ownership if you know what I mean! He always said the car would fall apart around the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bbability wrote: »
    it will need some major work soon

That decides it then. Perhaps it's time for your friend to import another VAG diesel car from the UK? How about a Skoda Superb? His customers will like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

unkel wrote: »
    That decides it then. Perhaps it's time for your friend to import another VAG diesel car from the UK? How about a Skoda Superb? His customers will like it :)

LOL :D That's what he's looking at. There's a nice one in cargiant but works out with around 15,500 euro all in to get it back. The leather seats are ideal for his business.

http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/detail.asp?Id=337819

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Curran wrote: »
    If hes got somewhere that he can leave the car sitting for a few months - sell parts on ebay

I'd do this if it were me- just to see what you could make for it that way.

Advertisement