Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grey squirell

• 18-10-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

hi folks.
    has anyone got any tips for this winter about what are the best place to find grey squirell's. im not to up on how they live and in what trees its best to find them, but i fancy spending a few days this winter stalking them and any tips would be great.

thanks for the help!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Anywhere near beech/oak/hazel trees should draw them like a magnet. Cornfield edges are also good but I'm not sure there are many of those in this country.
    I find it best to kick the leaves out from the base of a tree (so you won't constantly be rustling them) and park your bottom. If there are greys in the area, it won't take them long to forget you're there (provided you stay still, and use good camo or at the very least earth colours) and start running around the treetops and raising hell in the leaves. It always surprises me that a 2 pound squirrel will make more noise moving around than a 200 pound deer.

Shotgun would be my preference, with either 7.5 or 6 shot through a modified choke (you could use improved cylinder if you let them get quite close - the modified tends to tear them up at under 20 yards). I have used .22LR before, but greys don't tend to sit still too much, and firing a rifle at what can sometimes be a sharp upwards angle is never a good idea.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

airgun;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I do a lot of squirrel shooting and I wouldnt dream of going out without this kit.... http://www.animalmascots.com/01-B0012/Nut-Food-Costume-Mascot.html

Consider the "cool collar" if you are doing a bit of driven squirrel in the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thanks for the info yank. that helps. i'l give it a go on of the days now. when do they disapear for winter or do they tend to be seen during hibernation periods?

alan, i can now confirm you are officially "nuts"!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Stevoman

They like old magpie nests, every year i give grey and mag nests a go during nesting if you go back to old nests you nearly always bag a squirrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

cheers i'l keep that in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

stevoman wrote: »
    thanks for the info yank. that helps. i'l give it a go on of the days now. when do they disapear for winter or do they tend to be seen during hibernation periods?

alan, i can now confirm you are officially "nuts"!!!!!!

squirrels dont hibernate!!

also you might want to look for "dreys"(squirrels nest) on the bare branches near the bough, of broad leafed trees in the winter.
    they arre also known to take the odd liking for holes on root structures and even abandoned rabbit burrows near bases of trees!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

just a word of warning if looking for grey squirrels in old nests - birds of prey often use old greycrow / magpie nests to nest in - be sure that it's a grey squirrel in the nest before firing.

Advertisement