Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 7.10 released (Gutsy Gibbon)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com seems to be offline
    so http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and choose ireland ftp.esat.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Or just edit the sources.list and replace feisty with gutsy. Then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade.

Upgraded the lappy tonight. I'll see how it goes for a few days before I do the desktop. Laptop upgrade was almost seamless - even did it over wifi :D. Had to edit the sources.list afterwards to comment out the redundant medibuntu and beryl sources and add in the new ones. Apart from that no problem.

Word of warning tho if you've more that one partition to load. We upgraded one of the unreal.ie games servers today and one of the partitions is refusing to mount. Naturally that one is normally mounted as /home :D We haven't got it sorted yet but when we do I'll let you know what the problem is - assuming we figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I downloaded the iso yesterday, the problem i am having is that i don't have any CD's, but have loads of DVD's.

Does anyone know of a source for a DVD iso, or alternatively how i can burn a CD iso to a DVD using nero 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

one thing i noticed, but i can't remember if it was 7.04 or 7.10. it's a kernel change that meant that ide devices (previously referred to as /dev/hdx) are now using the scsi driver (apparently because of improved performance or grooviness or something) and as such show up as /dev/sdx. this may cause probs with static /etc/fstabs that people have been tinkering with...

i know that i got a bit of a fright when my hddtemp scripts + cacti no longer worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

djr wrote: »
    one thing i noticed, but i can't remember if it was 7.04 or 7.10. it's a kernel change that meant that ide devices (previously referred to as /dev/hdx) are now using the scsi driver (apparently because of improved performance or grooviness or something) and as such show up as /dev/sdx. this may cause probs with static /etc/fstabs that people have been tinkering with...

i know that i got a bit of a fright when my hddtemp scripts + cacti no longer worked!

to the best of my knowledge - they have always been referenced as sda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

themole wrote: »
    I downloaded the iso yesterday, the problem i am having is that i don't have any CD's, but have loads of DVD's.

Does anyone know of a source for a DVD iso, or alternatively how i can burn a CD iso to a DVD using nero 6.

You can burn a cd iso to a dvd disk just as you would a cd disk.

http://infrarecorder.sf.net - free and easy to use

http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-cdimages/gutsy/release/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tck wrote: »
    try and grab a torrent to save HEAnet's poor servers :)
    HEAnet are more than geared up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

to the best of my knowledge - they have always been referenced as sda

a-ha, i must disagree...

here's my dapper drake box: (6.06LTS)

root@bill:~# mount
    /dev/hdb1 on /data/400 type xfs (rw)
    /dev/hdc1 on /data/30 type ext3 (rw)

both ide drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭corkie

themole wrote: »

You didn't say if you had Linux all ready installed or not! If you have a linux installed or feisty CD. If you can boot your computer from USB drive and have a large spare USB stick (or a spare old hard drive in an external cradle?)

Visit this site (pendrivelinux)
    Instead of instructions 1 to 4. Mount your ISO image in the running Linux os and copy from there instead of from cdrom drive as suggested on the above site. Worked a treat for me recently.

Regards,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

....try and grab a torrent to save HEAnet's poor servers :)
    I always download from their servers! I love downloading from them, usually get great speed.... (unless it's Ubuntu new release day :( ) They're servers must be getting a fair whacking now with daily updates for Ubuntu (and the other Linux distros.) Fair play to them though for hosting all the Ubuntu software and a heap of other open source stuff. HEAnet's providing a great resource for Linux/Open Source users.

I've installed Gutsy and it's a fair bit quicker and slicker looking (love the new desktop reminds me of the Galaxy ad) than Feisty. Unfortunately I had to reinstall my usual way (from scratch with the CD), after the upgrade caused a couple of issues. (Exactly like Windows in that regard i.e. an in-place upgrade always turns out to be a disaster!) Anyway overall it's running smooth as silk for me now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Booted the AMD 64 version but as soon as I enter in Start or Install Ubuntu, my monitor turns off, gets no signal (VGA) from my X800Pro... :(
    Worked on my brothers laptop and everything, booo-urns!

The x86 version gave me an error, I/O error or something when I entered Start or Install Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Same happened to me. I just booted the cd in safe mode and installed. Then after the install I enabled the graphics driver (its under restricted drivers).
    Apart from this little hiccup I think its a good release.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tool several boots to get video working
    I've an old laptop with ATI card - so screen is blanked out during boot and initial config

CBA editing xorg.conf as there should be a patch out soon :)

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710
    Other known bugs
    Blank screen with some ATI hardware

* People with ATI display adapters may get a blank screen when loading X due to the driver being unable to initialize certain hardware. Upstream is working on it, and hopefully we'll be able to release an update for 7.10 soon after the release. In the meantime, add 'Option "LVDSBiosNativeMode" "false"' to the driver section of xorg.conf. Bug #132716

Dual-head (multi-screen) setups

* The ati driver has dropped MergedFB / Xinerama support in favour of xrandr 1.2 support, and old multi-head xorg.conf setups will break. To set up dual-head see the guides at http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html or http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
    * As xrandr and xinerama are incompatible, you cannot mix some graphics cards using xrandr-enabled drivers with others that are still limited to using xinerama. In this case, you will need to revert to pre-xrandr versions of the respective drivers: for Intel cards, use the old "i810" driver instead of "intel", for ATI cards, use the old 6.6 version.
    * With xrandr, it is now possible to use Compiz in a multi-screen setup, however it is dependent on available video card memory. The workaround for this issue is to switch to a lower virtual resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Last year I user xubuntu alot, so I'm grabbing the iso as I type, and will install tomrrow on my laptop ( using VM Player) so let you all know how goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Blank screen with some ATI hardware

* People with ATI display adapters may get a blank screen when loading X due to the driver being unable to initialize certain hardware. Upstream is working on it, and hopefully we'll be able to release an update for 7.10 soon after the release.
    7.10 failure to upgrade on inspiron 6000
    Beautiful, ive a lovely blue screen, think all is lost, im a relative newbie....curse
    Anybody help with commands in recovery mode which "may" recover 7.04 please

Advertisement