Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Recommendations?

• 18-10-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Howdy , havent listened to much new stuf in a good while....any recommendations ?

Last album I bought was the last Deftones:eek: Which was pretty cool.

I like a bit of everything , Rage , Carcass, Corrosion of Conformity, Clutch, Biffy, Helmet, Megadeth, Pantera .... all pretty standard fare I guess , anyway hook me up ... love the riffage not mad on anything with that high pitch whiney emo type vocal stuff alot of the newer heavier bands are doin.

Anyone have any must listen too's pop em up cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

obvious stuff would be nine inch nails, machine head, rob zombie and so on.

less obvious might be tomahawk, muse, and stuff like that.

and let me throw in my obscure one: raunchy. how they're not huge is beyond me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

cheers mayhem , I'll check that band out , exactly what Im looking for , ya know to kinda expand my listening beyond the Muse, Zombie kinda main stream

Cheers
    Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If you're into some heavier stuff, then I really recommend the French band Gojira:

I think their album From Mars To Sirius was one of the best albums of recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Been listening to a lot of Tool lately....is always good....with a doob....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Try Testament....Ive just started listening too Gojira lately They really are the S**t:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Feelgood wrote: »
    Been listening to a lot of Tool lately....is always good....with a doob....

:)

if you like tool you may enjoy collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

if you like tool you may enjoy collide

Cheers for that dude, not really my cuppa tae but that chick is well hot....

Would say no to a rogering or two off her...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Some good, slightly more extreme ones I like at the mo are:
    • Converge - Jane Doe
    • Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets
    • Zyklon - Aeon
    • The Berzerker - Dissimulate
    • Lock Up - Pleasures Pave Sewers
    • Cult of Luna - Cult of Luna

Some great Irish music I'm constantly trying to get ppl to listen to:
    • Rest - Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame
    • GiveAManAKick - We Are The Way Forward
    • Kerbdog - On The Turn

I got the last converge album , wasnt mad on it. Will checkout the others.

Tool / Perfect circle - liked all that stuff alright need a break from it.

I guess the last band that really impressed me was ISIS.

Hungus , liked that band , nice one.

Testament - testify , liked a lot of the old school stuff back in the day Anthrax, Slayer, etc.

Actually its just dawned on me that I havent really listened to any of the recent maiden stuff , wasnt a huge fan but liked some of it. Number of the beast, Powerslave, Seventh son, some great tunes on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Trev M wrote: »
    I got the last converge album , wasnt mad on it. Will checkout the others.
    I guess the last band that really impressed me was ISIS.

If you're into Isis, try Cult of Luna, I find them less boring than Isis with better climaxes and vocals. In saying that, Panopticon and, to a lesser extent, Oceanic are great Isis albums.

Converge are a little love 'em or hate 'em but Jane Doe is certainly the pick if you can take the intensity. Amazing band to see live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

TrevM
    dare I mention RUSH Snakes And Arrows...seriously strong album :)

Hey BAggio , not sure if i said it to ya before , teh other guitar player in my band is mad into Rush , I dig the tunes vocals are really off putting for me though:rolleyes: ... i know they are serious musicians but no accounting for taste as they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Check out the brand new Thrice album; The Alchemy Index. Definitely will appeal to fans of alternative metal like Deftones or Isis.

The whole album is streaming right now on their myspace!
    http://www.myspace.com/thrice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I would recommend two of the best albums this year (IMO anyway!)
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of A Blank Planet
    Paradise Lost - In Requiem.

Also you should give Katatonia a shot if you havent already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Wisdom in Chains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Check out the brand new Thrice album; The Alchemy Index. Definitely will appeal to fans of alternative metal like Deftones or Isis.

The whole album is streaming right now on their myspace!
    http://www.myspace.com/thrice

i concur i recently obtained the album and its really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bordrlinepsycho

Should check out Red Enemy, a hardcore/thrash metal band from Dublin/Kildare...theyre amazing...no releases yet thou but theyre recording their ep at the moment...definitely recommend going to one of their gigs:)

their myspace and bebo have no tracks up but one of their recordings with their old singer is up here:
    http://www.blastspace.com/Dock1989

they're much better now thou:D also video here..sound isnt the best thou thanks to my crappy camera:p
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NURJuksT4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Odds are you already know all their stuff but I'm going to plug In Flames anyway.

Otherwise try out Malefice their album Entities is great imo.
    Betzefer also had a good effort with Down Low.

All depends on your taste, hope its helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Nea wrote: »
    I would recommend two of the best albums this year (IMO anyway!)
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of A Blank Planet
    Paradise Lost - In Requiem.

Also you should give Katatonia a shot if you havent already.

Katatonia seconded The Great Cold Distance is a brilliant album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Check out a band Arsis if you haven't already. Their EP called 'A Diamond For Disease' is great. They have some great LP's also, and a record being done at the moment. can't wait for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Den_M wrote: »
    Check out a band Arsis if you haven't already. Their EP called 'A Diamond For Disease' is great. They have some great LP's also, and a record being done at the moment. can't wait for that one.

Arses :D:D:D

Amazing guitarist/vocalist though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I dunno if its your thing or not, but it really should, but early rock from the sixties kicks abseloute ass. Especiall Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who and The Beatles. Defo the greatest music ever. And of coourse Bob Dylan. More modern stuff; Faith No More, Daft Punk, Wolfmother, Down and Sepultura. Bit of everything there, its all class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jay P wrote: »
    I dunno if its your thing or not, but it really should, but early rock from the sixties kicks abseloute ass. Especiall Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who and The Beatles. Defo the greatest music ever. And of coourse Bob Dylan. More modern stuff; Faith No More, Daft Punk, Wolfmother, Down and Sepultura. Bit of everything there, its all class.

Wow, great recommendations, I bet the OP couldn't possibly have listened to The Beatles before! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Led Zeppelin ? must check em out , funny name...are they Irish?

im a bollix i know but that post is mmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaad

Advertisement