Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB broadband with a router?

Options
  • 18-10-2007 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

So, I'm thinking of getting the 1mb broadband from IBB (no phone line and live in an apartment). They said they don't support the use a router to get wireless, but that it works. Can anyone confirm this. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work, but internet here is pretty sketchy.

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can use a router with IBB Breeze, they just don't supply them or support any problems you might have with it. Make sure you don't get an ADSL modem/router though as it won't work. Something like this should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 canmatt

thanks! But I'm talking about Ripwave though...they can't give me breeze in an apartment.

Oh. I don't know much about Ripwave other than it's not very good by all accounts. Also, I think some Ripwave modems are USB only and that won't work with a router.

cool...alright, thanks again. I guess I won't be going with them. What's the deal with internet in this country! It looks like I'll be going with NTL but everyone is ****ting on them too. Do you think they cap streaming in addition to torrents? I rather stream than download but if they limit that too, than I don't know what I should do.

It would work if you got the Ethernet version of the Ripwave modem. However, you may not do much streaming or torrents with Ripwave as it's little more than a dial-up or ISDN replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Someone else said, IBB will place the box for apartments on walls or balconies or something like that if you have permission to do that and are on a floor which would give you coverage.

I have IBB Breeze and use a Linksys WRT54GS router with it. I'd recommend this router in a second. Not one problem with it. The WRT54G was the router I was looking for as I did research on it and does not have many problems so if you can get either of these routers go for it.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Someone else said, IBB will place the box for apartments on walls or balconies or something like that if you have permission to do that and are on a floor which would give you coverage.

That's what I was hoping, but I called and they said no to anything but a house....I even said I could get roof access and we have a big balcony. Maybe the customer service guy was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

You can use ripwave with a wireless access point (not a router) as long as you get the ethernet version (think you can request it).

In the office here we tested a netgear wireless access point and it worked fine however some i have heard do not work so be careful which wireless access point you choose.

The service itself seemed fairly decent when we tested it here, not great but nothing too shabby either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

canmatt wrote: »
    That's what I was hoping, but I called and they said no to anything but a house....I even said I could get roof access and we have a big balcony. Maybe the customer service guy was just stupid.

I have IBB Breeze installed on the roof of my apartment complex. Not a problem (once we figured out how to get ot the roof!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

jor el wrote: »
    It would work if you got the Ethernet version of the Ripwave modem. However, you may not do much streaming or torrents with Ripwave as it's little more than a dial-up or ISDN replacement.
    I moved house over the weekend here in Kilkenny city and got the ripwave package from Dunnes stores €75. I speed tested it and was getting 512kbs so its a lot faster than dial up at 52kbs MAX usally about 40kbs. I also tried out a bit torrent down load. 96Mb in just over 1 hour so its OK for me right now. I had BT at 500mbs but this will have to do me now, I don't have a phone line in this house.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Try calling back to see if you can get a different sales guy who might be able to help.

Advertisement