Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for ch pump replacement

Options
  • 18-10-2007 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

I have a myson smc sd53 pump for the ch in the hot press that's kicked the bucket.

Can anyone recommend a replacement?

It's single phase with manual 3-speed selector (1800-2400rpm), 130mm port to port (I presume the ch is a sealed system - usually runs at just over 1 bar and has one of those red vessels you can pump up with a car tyre pump).

Posters here often speak highly of Grundfos, so I checked on pulsar direct:
    http://www.pulsar.ie/plumbing-supplies/addtocart.asp?ProductCatId=375&ProductSubId=80

If I'm on the right track would the "UPS 25-50 130mm" do or is the "UPS 25-60 130mm H/Head Pump" spec necessary?
    There's obviously a good reason for latter being triple the price but I'm no pro so the terminology difference has me stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Not sure myself, but going on price, the cheaper one is the one normally used in most domestic systems.
    The myson is also a good pump.
    Are you sure that the existing one has kicked the bucket ? If you have not used it since last Winter, it may just be stuck - sometimes a few sharp taps with a hammer or something like that can do it. Or there is a nut on the front that can be loosened and the impeller can be spun to free it.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thanks for the reply Jim, great stuff.

Yes I did the old few taps and spin the impeller after seeing that advice on another thread here (wouldn't be surprised if it was you doing good samaritan again!), but not a dickie bird out of it.

I even took it off to inspect further but found nothing untoward, as far as I could strip it down that is, it's either factory sealed or a special tool or know-how is needed to get at the motor innards, I wouldn't gunther it even though it could be something simple like a broken stator contact.

I suppose I was chasing a diy high there and pub bragging rights, sad I know. You're dead right though, that pump's been doing the business since '92, can't say a word to it.

Anyway 60 snots is not bad at all for a brand new one given the engineering that goes into these, even Dyson could learn a thing or two about motor noise levels!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EllieD

Hi there!
    My Grunfos UPS 25/50 hqs just given up the ghost. Did you get yours replaced, and if so, can you give me an idea of the cost to fit it?
    Thanks a mill!
    Ellen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

EllieD wrote: »
    Hi there!
    My Grunfos UPS 25/50 hqs just given up the ghost. Did you get yours replaced, and if so, can you give me an idea of the cost to fit it?
    Thanks a mill!
    Ellen
    Hi Ellen.
    I replaced it myself so I don't know the going rate unfortunately. Working perfectly since and zero leaks.

There's still a chance it may not be the pump, even after the impeller spin and hammer taps don't work. The boiler may not be giving it power - there's a circuit with a 'pump overrun thermostat' in mine that could have been faulty, I only new for sure it was the pump when I wired power directly to the pump.

But you're right to get a good person for the job, plumbing and electrics = flood, fire, and electrocution hazards - not for a 'handyman' with no proper training or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EllieD

democrates wrote: »
    There's still a chance it may not be the pump, even after the impeller spin and hammer taps don't work. The boiler may not be giving it power

Thanks!
    It's definitley the pump - we had an engineer check it out. He said it may still be under warranty he so didn't continue, but unfortunately it's looking like it isn't so we need to get it replaced. Grr!
    Anyway thanks for your help - glad yours it working again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement