Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport map

Options
  • 18-10-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

Bus Eireann don't have any kind of map showing where their Galway city services go. In fact, they only barely have descriptions written on the timetable, and then only for some routes!

But does anyone have, or know of, such a map? I've visited lots of cities, and almost all public transport systems have them these days ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've never actually found one for bus eireann.

citydirect have one here, they serve the westside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yah I was two years on foot in Galway and never found a BE routemap... never had a clue where any of the busses went. Just more evidence of what a sh*te "service" they provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Bus Eireann do not provide a service in Galway. Random buses go in random directions at random times. The only thing you can be sure of is that all eventually lead back to Eyre Sq.

After living around the same area for 5 yrs and after careful surveillance I now know the route but unfortunately not the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

how true kevmy. To be honest, I havent a clue what time my bus to work/home is at, I juts go to Eyre Square and wait for one of two options..there is no point adhering to time tables whatsoever..like a lucky dip really...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Actually Bus Eireann do/did have a map on the city bus timetable, with the different routes in different colours and the main roads highlighted and where the services terminated. It was like the london underground map, all straight lines and corners.
    Have'nt seen one around in a while though, then again I don't use the bus.

• Advertisement

hmmm... i was messing around, and in yahoo maps it's really easy to make a routemap that could show the bus lines. i was thinking boardsies could make one's out of the routes they know and then make a sticky of it or something.

i made this one of the number 2 west route in 3 minutes.

*note i'm making the assumption that the parameters for the route are stored in the URL and not on the machine. if this doesn't work for ye i'll make a screenie of it or something, that is if there's interest in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, that Yahoo maps one worked brilliantly .. but I had to click on the link twice for it to draw. Very cool.

Anyone wanna try another one for me ... I'm most interested in numbers 3, 5E and 9 :-)

Oh - and did you know there are some servces that aren't on their timetables. I've heard rumours of one going out to HP on the Ballybrit estate at 8am on the morning, and am going to try grilling the folks in the office about it one day soon ... I wonder if there are others like this?

(I did like the post about they don't provide a service, just random buses at random times ... oh so true ...)

JustMary wrote: »
    Yup, that Yahoo maps one worked brilliantly .. but I had to click on the link twice for it to draw. Very cool.
    i dunno why it takes two clicks, it's kind of annoying. guess it needs to initialize the application.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Anyone wanna try another one for me ... I'm most interested in numbers 3, 5E and 9 :-)
    if i could i would. i know the number nine goes to GMIT, but after that... seriously though if anyone else knows a line well please do it, i've gotten lost on the east side a few times because i don't know the routes well :o, it only takes a minute or two to draw up the route. just copy and paste the URL then when it's completed, no signing up or saving or that.

The buses are kinda annoying sometime. Especially when they have buses that stop at different stops. Like number 2 Lisbeg Lawn bus and 4 Merlin Park bus that goes from the last bus stop near cuba, and then the one closer to Richardsons.

And the Lisbeg Lawn one annoys me. It's hard to tell which bus pulls in by Dawn Dairies and which one goes fully by GMIT. Same one with the number 5 Ballybane bus. It's hard to tell which ones goes on the Tuam Rd. and which uses the Dublin Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

hmmm... i was messing around, and in yahoo maps it's really easy to make a routemap that could show the bus lines. i was thinking boardsies could make one's out of the routes they know and then make a sticky of it or something.

i made this one of the number 2 west route in 3 minutes.

*note i'm making the assumption that the parameters for the route are stored in the URL and not on the machine. if this doesn't work for ye i'll make a screenie of it or something, that is if there's interest in this.

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I think there's some maps in the bus shelters at Eyre Square.

I know that because I didnt have a clue what the hell they meant, I just hopped into a taxi at the nearby rank. Too lazy to try and decipher the routes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

You see, if they put up maps then people would expect the bus to go a certain route, which as all public transport users in Galway know is not the case. This happens all the time, a few busses from Ballybane go by the Headford Rd. and then out to where ever, the ones marked X or whatever but it's not the ones marked X that go out it's just random ones at random times. I went to get the bus a few times into town and it happens to be the X one, which doesn't show up on time, logically you would think the bus would still go out that way but no, no, no.

The bus service in Galway is a complete joke, the only ones that get it right are the one or two morning busses and the last few at night, the rest are late when you're standing there 5mins before it is supposed to come and early when you're late!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You can get a timetable book in the bus eireann office in ceannt station. Names all the stops along a particular route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

This is probably a really dumb question but where are the bus stops in Eyre Square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

depends where your going madge....most east city busses depart on the square directly up from the station/fibbers side!

Thanks prendy. I have to get the no. 9 bus out to Parkmore

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Madge wrote: »
    Thanks prendy. I have to get the no. 9 bus out to Parkmore

Would it not be the No 3 that goes to Parkmore up tuam road. Anyhow both of the stops are across the road from oconnells pub

Would it not be the No 3 that goes to Parkmore up tuam road. Anyhow both of the stops are across the road from oconnells pub

uhhh.... the number 9 is the relatively new route for parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This week's discovery: there are buses that aren't shown on ANY timetable .. but which run to the Ballybrit and Parkmore (and possibly other????) industrial estates. One goes out in the morning, and another comes back in the afternoon.

The Ballybrit one leaves the bus-station (down the back) at 8 or 8:05, and goes to outside the Hewlett Packard offices. The bus in the afternoon does the reverse route, leaving at 5:25 or 5:30.

I wonder ... what other little gems don't the lovely people at Bus Eireann advertise???

Mary, I found this on bus eireann's site, I don't know if it's any good or not. If you scroll down they have the routes for Galway listed
    http://www.buseireann.ie/site/your_journey/city_town_services.asp

• Advertisement

Madge wrote: »
    Mary, I found this on bus eireann's site, I don't know if it's any good or not. If you scroll down they have the routes for Galway listed
    http://www.buseireann.ie/site/your_journey/city_town_services.asp

yeah that's probably the best info on them you're going to get. some of the descriptions can be a bit vague though.

Advertisement