Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of american virgin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Tis a pity I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Short but sweet. Great comics rarely get far these days, let's just hope Vertigo get out all the arcs in trades and don't leave one out as they've done before. I pretty much agree with everything Seagle has said about the industry and where DC is concerned in particular it seems like Didio is trying to run the company into the ground. The idea's are poorly thought out, they're over reliant on a small group of writers and the ideas that don't work are being retconned so quickly that the comics are becoming more ridiculous than entertaining.

Maybe if fans voted for quality with their wallets and just bought beautifully crafted and well produced comics things would change, but unfortunately there's a little bit of geek in all of us that refuses to let go to those shiny, sparkly books we loved way back when...

I'll savour the last storyline and hope that common sense will bring back Adam soon. I'll also follow Becky Cloonan's work in anything she does, she's made a fan for life lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Gah, yet another decent book shot down.

As for voting with wallets - hell, there's very little I buy regularly from DC anyway. Desolation Jones and 100 Bullets, and even then I only buy the trades of 100 Bullets.

For all the usual industry whining about costs and blahblahblah, the big 2 don't seem to do much to push genuinely good comics that don't fit the superhero mold, on those rare occasions they get them. Which makes the whining about not being able to grow their customer base somewhat less tolerable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much can be expected on an industry grown on the back of the likes of monthly Superman & Batman...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the Shades wrote: »
    I'll also follow Becky Cloonan's work in anything she does, she's made a fan for life lol

I've got your stuff from spx of course but did you read her tokoypop book East coast rising? I can't remember if I leant it to you before.

Fysh wrote: »
    Gah, yet another decent book shot down.

As for voting with wallets - hell, there's very little I buy regularly from DC anyway. Desolation Jones and 100 Bullets, and even then I only buy the trades of 100 Bullets.

For all the usual industry whining about costs and blahblahblah, the big 2 don't seem to do much to push genuinely good comics that don't fit the superhero mold, on those rare occasions they get them. Which makes the whining about not being able to grow their customer base somewhat less tolerable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much can be expected on an industry grown on the back of the likes of monthly Superman & Batman...

Its a bit depressing esp when you go to showes like Bristol, MoCCA, or SPX and see the massive varity of talent out there. The whole Zuda thing scares me a little, I really don't trust DC to do it right and the Minx line was a big let down - this whole hype about an imprint aimed at girls yet feck all girls involved in the creation end of any of the books. There is one sane editor left at DC and thats Cavalieri.

Then theres marvel..........well I feel I should post a link to the bloody MJ statue and leave it at that.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    I've got your stuff from spx of course but did you read her tokoypop book East coast rising? I can't remember if I leant it to you before.

I've been keeping an eye out for it but haven't seen it yet (I know I should just hit amazon or something) So yeah I haven't read it yet but I definitely plan to read and buy it lol

the Shades wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye out for it but haven't seen it yet (I know I should just hit amazon or something) So yeah I haven't read it yet but I definitely plan to read and buy it lol

I'll bring it along saturday along with the other stuff so you can have a look through

ztoical wrote: »
    I'll bring it along saturday along with the other stuff so you can have a look through

Yay more comics to quickly flick through because I have no time to concentrate! lol Cheers ztoical, I've decided I'm trying to aim for 24 pages now so we'll see how it goes...

Advertisement