Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car : €45k to spend

Options
  • 18-10-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade to a new motor for 08. As a long time lurker here on boards I'm looking for your views on what options are out there. Preferably new, but would consider a mint 07 model.

Have about €45k, want :
    Diesel, 2 litre max
    Min 150 BHP
    6 speed
    Leather
    aircon + climate
    alloys

Don't want : Mondeo/Avensis types / 9-3 / 3 or 5 series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You have very conservative criteria, there OP. You sound like my dad actually- spends 50k on a car and cribs about the few hundred in the difference on road tax. That's a big pot of gold you got there. If i had that kind of dough for a car I'd think I'd want something posh for it and I wouldn't rule out a slightly older model.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=679421

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=767734

Bear in mind that heavier cars like the ones I've suggested and the 5s etc etc- you're probably better off giving the 4 cyl engines a miss.

Nothing wrong with a top spec new car either. If I wanted a new car for that money, I'd probably get a Passat sportline auto estate with leather, satnav etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

You might pick up an 07 Lexus IS220d executive for that money,although it's a 2.2....and not great.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If you were willing to go for a bigger engine, go for my dream car

golfM_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slightly up on the engine size (but sure you'd easily make the difference in road tax with haggling), but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=589475

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - I can't really see how you're going to do better than a BMW 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Sex on wheels :D Ohhh Yaaa 159 gets my vote
    peasant wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Loose the mental block on the engine size and get the 2.4 jtd 159. That or wait till the twin turbo 1.9 comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

ec_pc wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade to a new motor for 08. As a long time lurker here on boards I'm looking for your views on what options are out there. Preferably new, but would consider a mint 07 model.

Have about €45k, want :
    Diesel, 2 litre max
    Min 150 BHP
    6 speed
    Leather
    aircon + climate
    alloys

accord exec diesel? has all the items you want, except its 2.2.. and you will have change for a holiday left over..

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Loose the mental block on the engine size and get the 2.4 jtd 159. That or wait till the twin turbo 1.9 comes out.

The 2.4 is a flyer, but not nearly as nimble as the 1.9 in the twisty stuff, but it is an ideal gentlemen's express

I emailed Alfa about the new engines, they said they knew nothing about it here, eventhough I've been reading about them on the net. They are also testing a 3.0ltr JTDm 310BHP as well...with a remap you could see 375BHP :D

I think the OP should take an extended test drive in a few different cars in that bracket and then decide..there's a lot to choose from..the 159 ticked all the right boxes for me, and I'll be buying another JTDm
    Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

Biro wrote: »
    Lose the mental block on the engine size

OP, we're all singing from the same hymn sheet...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

This seems to tick the box on most of the OPs requirements...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=788709

Only thing missing is leather and there are a good few about with leather

Melion wrote: »
    If you were willing to go for a bigger engine, go for my dream car

golfM_m.jpg

Setting your sights a little low perhaps? Its essentially a souped up golf. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 159 is great car by all accounts but would you really spend €45k of your own money on a new one?

The unjust bad rep means depreciation is shocking. Wait a year of two and buy it for a fraction of that. ;)

bf wrote: »
    This seems to tick the box on most of the OPs requirements...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=788709

Only thing missing is leather and there are a good few about with leather

Most of the ones with leather aren't 2 ltr and aren't manual and the haven't the budget alloys. Very noisy engine compared to the 3.0tdi- it's half as loud. Those low spec A6s are nothing like an A6 should be. They're just compromise after compromise....
    ronoc wrote: »
    Setting your sights a little low perhaps? Its essentially a souped up golf. :)

No mate- it's a stripped out Bugatti:D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

if you can strech your budget a bit, you could get the new c-class merc. wouldnt touch an e but the new c looks great

the entry c200 is around 47/48 but doubt youll get leather seats for that

He's not even looking boys.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ec_pc wrote: »

Have about €45k, want :
    Diesel, 2 litre max
    Min 150 BHP
    6 speed
    Leather
    aircon + climate
    alloys

er worst criteria ever, to actually meet that criteria you are basically looking at a vw/audi with that 170bp 2 litre tdi engine thats it, im sure theres loads of them, i wont look, itd make me sleepy :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    vw/audi with that 170bp 2 litre tdi engine thats it, im sure theres loads of them, i wont look, itd make me sleepy :D

That's it- outside right now- let's finish this once and for all....:D

As much as I like the german crap- an ordinary, low spec vag car is dull as dishwater...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

theliam wrote: »
    if you can strech your budget a bit, you could get the new c-class merc

A bit? The base c-class diesel lists for €52k. The base 3-series diesel lists for €45k and the base A4* for €44k

*Actually the A4 is available in "taxi" special with the old 1.9 lump for a bargain €39k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 159 is great car by all accounts but would you really spend €45k of your own money on a new one?

The unjust bad rep means depreciation is shocking. Wait a year of two and buy it for a fraction of that. ;)

yep I would, and will again, and depreciation on the diesel is not as bad as folks think...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dmck2886 wrote: »

Is any thread safe from Octavia suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is any thread safe from Octavia suggestions?

Update your sig. According to boars.stats.ie(TM) it's now 38.4%, not 37% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll try and get the sig linked to the stats automatically.

Advertisement