Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US license as Provisional

Options
  • 18-10-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I know you can use a US license for up to 12 months and its regarded as a provisional, but which provisional? 1st or 2nd?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ote]if you are from Canada, the United States or New Zealand), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

An 'international driving permit' means a valid and property completed international driving permit issued to a visitor under the Convention of 1949 by a competent authority of the State in which you normally reside.

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months and you are not from one of the listed recognised countries/States, you can apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You must first you must complete a driver theory test, apply for a provisional driving licence and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with a full driving licence for use in Ireland. [/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 willywilliams

So legally I could drive on my US license on my own in the car for 12 months, then get a 1st provisional but then I would need to have a fully licensed person with me at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Yes thats the law as it stands.
    I know it doesnt entirely make sense.

I dont know the exact crtieria for being one of the countries whose licence is accepted here, perhaps it works both ways but currently an Aussie licence is better than a New Zealand or US licence in this regard.
    Certainly the laws/agreements covering IDLs date back to the 1940s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So legally I could drive on my US license on my own in the car for 12 months, then get a 1st provisional but then I would need to have a fully licensed person with me at all times?

I wonder could you apply for a provisional now, so you can go on and apply for the test. But still carry your US licence with you so you'd be driving on that, and therefore legally be able to drive unaccompanied for the year.

Hopefully, you'd have passed your Irish test within the year, and then wouldn't have to drive accompanied on your provisional.

Or does your US licence become invalid as soon as you have an Irish provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Funny I never thought of that, I dont think that would be a problem here cos AFAIK there are no laws againt holding driving licences from 2 jurisdictions.
    Some countries do, but usually for particular reasons.

Well spotted, that would probably be the most sane way to deal with this issue if you were in this situation:)

Not sure how your insurance company would treat it. They might even recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement