Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summons for tax (more complicated than usual)

• 18-10-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I have a question.

I got stopped for not having tax in March in Kilbeggan and received a summons to go to court. The court case was yesterday and my solicitor represented me. I don't know the outcome yet as I have been unable to get in contact with him.

Within 3 weeks of being stopped I was stopped again, in Dublin. I have received a summons to go to court for failure to produce insurance, license and tax (within 10days) for this next month.

I produced my Insurance and License at a Garda station in Dublin more than 10 days later (definately less than 21days). I contacted the garda that issued the summons and made an appointment to see him. I showed the Gard my license and insurance (I had no tax, I know I was in the wrong), I didn't produce any tax.

He mentioned that he would have the Insurance and License issue struck off in court, however he would have to do me for tax. Totally understandable.

I have 3 questions:

1. Will this be treated as a second offence or will it be treated seperately as it was in a different region.

2.If it is treated as a second offence any idea what the consequences be.

3. Can anyone give me some examples of what to expect, fines & amounts etc.
    Can anyone recommend a solicitor in Dublin City centre for this?

The first solicitor charged me 400euro just to appear in court for me. Would that be a good or bad price, how much should I expect a solicitor to cost for this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If there is a conviction for the first offence it will be on the Pulse computer system, and the Guard will get a print out before court. Fines depend on the judge on the day. Some can fine €50 and some can go to €800. It helps if everything is in order. PM me an I will recommend a solicitor who will charge €250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flyingv

Jo King wrote: »
    If there is a conviction for the first offence it will be on the Pulse computer system, and the Guard will get a print out before court. Fines depend on the judge on the day. Some can fine €50 and some can go to €800. It helps if everything is in order. PM me an I will recommend a solicitor who will charge €250

Thanks, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flyingv

I'm also wondering could this be defined as a "criminal offence" and what effect can that have on your name in future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

No its a road traffic offence, same as drink driving. Not a criminal offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the solicitor know that there were two charges?

I wonder if the punishment for a double conviction might be a little less than two separate convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The punishment would be heavier for a second offence if known to the court. The fact that someone did not learn from the first incident is generally considered to be an aggravating factor. The mitigation plea in the first case will always go down better when it is explained that the person made a momentary slip, has never been in trouble before and has since put their affairs in order. It will not wash a second time.

Advertisement