Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standoffs for Mobo

Options
  • 18-10-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Need clarification here

Mounting my motherboard into case. But I dont know if I need to use the brass standoffs or not. The screw holes are actually raised off the tray....the same distance the standoff would raise the board on a tray with not-raised screw holes

If anyone gets what I mean....do I, or do I not need to use the brass standoffs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, you should be fine. It's ok for that little area around the mounting holes to touch, just not the exposed board. That's why you need standoffs. So if there's screws already there you're ok.

edit: Just to clarify - are these screw holes you speak of the size of screws or just a raised surface? Basically, the board can only touch the case on the insulated part on the mobo around the holes, which is obviously quite small. So common sense should see you through it. If its a general raised surface use standoffs. If its a specific mounting hole, then thats all you need. I'm not quite sure what you're describing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well it depends, Some mobo use the small raised bits to increase airflow behind the board. Your best bet would be to drop th eboard into the case and see if it fits okay. If it does then use some non metalic washers. As you do not want the board shorting off the case. If it does not fit then you will need the stand-off's. Incedentaly, if the case came with stand off's use them. And remember, some cases use different sized stand off's then others. For example the ones in my tj-07 are about 60% smaller then standard ones. But about 5x as many came with the case incase i loose some.

Advertisement