Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One 4 All vouchers

Options
  • 18-10-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

I bought my gf €200 worth of these. They came in 2 €100 notes. I had to pay €204 for them I think.

Little did I realise that:

1. If she spends €40 in Clerys, she gets €60 worth of Clery's vouchers back. Surely this isn't correct as they are not losing out in anyway, they should be glad she's decided to spend money in Clery's at all. If it was originally a Clery's voucher I'd undersand. Has she any right to ask for cash back?

2. An Post won't break the vouchers up for her into 4 €50s. Swines say it costs them money. She said she was willing to pay the couple of euro but they still wouldn't do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1. no right to get cash back in Clearys, sorry. see the t&c - http://www.giftvouchershop.ie/terms_conds.asp?mode=an
    Gift Vouchers may be exchanged for goods or services of a lower value, solely at the discretion of the business for which it was purchased.

2. you could ask again, other than that you'll need to spend them in one spot.

http://www.giftvouchershop.ie/faq.asp?mode=an
    We state in our marketing material that the One4all® Gift Voucher should be purchased in smaller denominations to make it more flexible for the recipient. If you have received a One4all® Gift Voucher(s) in large denominations, please contact our Customer Care team for further information.

should have read full t&c before buying, but this is pretty standard practice wit hall gift vouchers to be honest
    The Gift Voucher Shop vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash. It is advised that One4all gift vouchers of high value are broken down in smaller amounts to avoid having to spend the full amount in one outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

We got those all for one vouchers last christmas along with our work bonus and we hated them... you have to stick to a set list of shops that accept them and there isn't really many.

Waste of time! Give me dunnes/tesco or argos vouchers anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I got a 100 euro one last Christmas.. put it towards a Wii bundle in Smyth's so can't complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

podge018 wrote: »
    I bought my gf €200 worth of these. They came in 2 €100 notes. I had to pay €204 for them I think.

1. If she spends €40 in Clerys, she gets €60 worth of Clery's vouchers back. Surely this isn't correct as they are not losing out in anyway, they should be glad she's decided to spend money in Clery's at all. If it was originally a Clery's voucher I'd undersand. Has she any right to ask for cash back?

The shop is losing out as they pay a rather large commisson to Gift Voucher Shop so they would be losing out if they gave her cash

The vouchers are only valid for 12 months from date of purchase and GVS are VERY strict about this so she better use them soon

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Even worse than the vouchers are the One4All gift cards, they can be used in only a fraction of the places that the vouchers can be used in

• Advertisement

zaph wrote: »
    Even worse than the vouchers are the One4All gift cards, they can be used in only a fraction of the places that the vouchers can be used in
    They work through the same system as most credit card, so it's only a matter of time I'd say.

They do have the benefit of allowing you to use some now and some later - in this case it might even suit the OP better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Commission is 7.5% - 10% of the voucher. (larger stores will be on 7.5%)

So Clery's would have to pay 7.5% of the €100 voucher whether you bought €5 of product or €100 of product.

I'd guess about 5% are never used too! - When I had a store in Liffey Valley it was amazing when the centre's accounts were published the value of shopping centre vouchers that were never used even though there's no expiry date on them. It paid for the admin of the scheme & more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

I complained to them about the gift cards as they are been given out without telling people that they can't be used in most of the shops where as the vouchers can be used in a lot more places.

They told me to do is send back the gift card explaining that you tried to use it in clearys and they will give you your money back.

I said do I need to give receipts and she said no just write it down.

Only rang them yesterday about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Jesus, if you don't like the vouchers give them to the St Vincent De Paul or some other worthwhile cause I'm sure they can find someone who actually appreciates the value of them as opposed to a group a moany gits on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Trampas wrote: »
    I complained to them about the gift cards as they are been given out without telling people that they can't be used in most of the shops where as the vouchers can be used in a lot more places.

They told me to do is send back the gift card explaining that you tried to use it in clearys and they will give you your money back.

I said do I need to give receipts and she said no just write it down.

Only rang them yesterday about it.

I got a giftcard last week. Wife went to use it in Wallis. As indicated above, they will only take paper vouchers. So if I ring them (Giftcard co.), will they give me cash, and if so, how? I have no receipt, and I do not want the person who gave them to me finding out that I had difficulty using them, as it was not their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I got a giftcard last week. Wife went to use it in Wallis. As indicated above, they will only take paper vouchers. So if I ring them (Giftcard co.), will they give me cash, and if so, how? I have no receipt, and I do not want the person who gave them to me finding out that I had difficulty using them, as it was not their fault.

Just send the gift card back explaining that you tried to use it in Wallis and that they wont except it.

If you want to swap the card for a gift just say it and they will replace it.

Takes about a week to do.

I said do i need to send a receipt and they said no.

Give them a call and say why are you issuing cards when you can't use them in loads of places and the person wasn't informed when they bought the card otherwise they would have got the voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jscan1

Hi,
    I'm considering giving out one4all gift vouchers in small amounts as prize money.
    Just wondering if they are still liked - or if there are better methods of handing out small cash prizes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

jscan1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm considering giving out one4all gift vouchers in small amounts as prize money.
    Just wondering if they are still liked - or if there are better methods of handing out small cash prizes?

i think they are good. they have a kind of credit card now, so instead of getting paper vouchers they give you a card with X amount of credit on it. then you can go in to shops on the list to buy what ever and they just swipe it through the credit card machine and the amount comes off your balance. you can go online and check your balance at any time.

i used to get these as a sales bonus over the years. before the Post Office started doing the one4all voucher there was another crowd who did Bonus Bonds which are pretty much the same thing. they used to be tax free for employees but i dont know if they still are becuase of Benefit in Kind. but if you cheack out www.bonusbonds.ie you can find out. they were accepted in a lot of the same shops as the one4all vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Hate them myself ... they're like cash, just not as useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i work in clerys so im gonna go ahead and give ya the lowdown on these one 4 alls. the cards were first brought in in the store around xmas-basically an post never bothered to check that all stores were set up for them-there's also no way of us to check the existing balance before the sale,so if the customer had forgotten you have to just put the sale through to "see".
    Every store will give you back the appt amount of change in their vouchers-it's just the done thing and no customer has ever complained about it to me.it's just general cop on that we're not going to give you back E50 cash in change.

Thanks a mill for the input - VERY impressed by the snappy responses (newbie :))
    I was just thinking of giving out small amounts of prizes as one4all vouchers - ie €10 max.
    It wouldn't be worth a Company writing up €10 cheques for every one of these little prizes. So the "change" thing prob wouldn't be an issue.
    Does any one have any idea of a better method to dish out standard small prizes in a similar fashion.
    In larger prize draws - say €100 and over - i would just write a cheque i guess.

(please forgive the formatting on my original post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Thanks a mill for the input - VERY impressed by the snappy responses (newbie :))
    I was just thinking of giving out small amounts of prizes as one4all vouchers - ie €10 max.
    It wouldn't be worth a Company writing up €10 cheques for every one of these little prizes. So the "change" thing prob wouldn't be an issue.
    Does any one have any idea of a better method to dish out standard small prizes in a similar fashion.
    In larger prize draws - say €100 and over - i would just write a cheque i guess.

(please forgive the formatting on my original post)

Well you could just give people the €10 note in an envelope! Less hassle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It wouldn't be worth a Company writing up €10 cheques for every one of these

The vouchers cost 2 euro each to buy.

I dont think it would be the best thing to send out a lot of 10€ in the post?
    It prob woudn't look good from a company point of view? and it's not really a done thing (in my opinion) but it was my first idea? Any other suggestions? hmm or would i get away with it?

penexpers wrote: »
    The vouchers cost 2 euro each to buy.

Grr.. perhaps they'd give me a discount if i bought in bulk? I did actually send an email to them - but they haven't replied yet... I’m assuming i would be doing a sort of "advertising" for them by giving their vouchers out as prizes, so they would surely see that as a valid reason to reduce their fees? - I'll sit and wait to hear what they say. Unfortunately they are no-where near as fast as these boards to reply :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

yes you will get a discount, i think if you buy say 6 vouchers of the same value then you will only be charged 2 euro.

go to your local Post office and they will give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Did you get her the little book that tells you where you can spend them?

Im sure you did, and I am too pickled in wine to look at the other responses, but I did want to say that you can use them in Boots and River Island either shop will suck up that money faster than Obama and lipstick sales.

Bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saoirs

would anybody know the name of the theme song used in the One4all Radio and tv advert this Christmas? I rarely watch tv and dont seem to hear the ad. on radio and Im trying to enter a competition with the above ?Thanks in anticipation of a reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vouchers are a bloody pain, cash or nothing
    Nobody wants cash with expiry dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

My voucher expires tomorrow 28/02 ,does that mean i can or can't use it tomorrow:confused::(

sxt wrote: »
    My voucher expires tomorrow 28/02 ,does that mean i can or can't use it tomorrow:confused::(
    I would *assume* an expiry date refers to the end of the date in question, in this case close of business 28.02.09.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Anyone know if these vouchers will work in the mini-shops in Arnotts, like the GAP there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ionapaul wrote: »
    Anyone know if these vouchers will work in the mini-shops in Arnotts, like the GAP there?

I haven't used it in Gap itself but im pretty sure they will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Firstly: I disagree with vouchers, think they are worth nothing. Some are invalid after a year. Like you pay a company 100euro for a voucher and they tell you if you dont use it within a year tough. You cant beat cash my friend!

Secondly: The idea of vouchers are stupid! People say oh i cant give them money because its bad present so ill get a voucher. Em voucher is just as bad as a present as there was no thought put into it.

Your better off giving the missus a card, with a note in it saying pick a day and we go shopping. So bring her out shopping and pay for the stuff.
    Women would rather that and you wouldnt be in this situation ;)

podge018 wrote: »

2. An Post won't break the vouchers up for her into 4 €50s. Swines say it costs them money. She said she was willing to pay the couple of euro but they still wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Some are invalid after a year. Like you pay a company 100euro for a voucher and they tell you if you dont use it within a year tough. You cant beat cash my friend!

I think they legally have to put a date on it. I know a lot of business will reissue the voucher again once you contact them about the expiry.

I know Louis Copeland will even give you extra value on expired vouchers to compensate for inflation. He is the only one i know that will give such an offer though.

Advertisement