Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halifax building society for sligo

Options
  • 18-10-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

does any one know where the new halifax building society is opening in sligo, only sites i can think of is the new building on the corner of harmony hill/john street, the old burger king site, or in the johnston centre, tried the halifax website, nothing on there,

staff in leterkenny branch belives it opens in november

any ideas

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

i think its the development on the corner of harmony hill/john street

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

As far as I know, the Bank of Scotland (Ireland) bought all the old ESB shop premises, which initially made me think that Halifax was going in the old ESB building on the corner of Castle St and Thomas St.

Having said that, I remember recalculating because I'm nearly sure at some stage someone told me the Sligo Supply Centre had also sold them their premises on Grattan St. Now that you mention it (Que little bulb above my head!), I saw in their window just last weekend that they are moving to some address on Market St.

Nothing definite here but something else to think about.

Their giving nothing away here:
    Sligo on their branch locator

Disclaimer: Not fully sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Friend of mine who works for them in Dublin said they might be buying EJ's building.

The plot thickens!!!! Den den den!

I hear EJ's are opening the Hugo Boss shop in the new Shopping Centre but I can' t see them closing the place they have. The building is too cool. I wonder how that will pan out.

Imagine Halifax having a bank of Ireland ATM hub on the side of it the way the EJ's shop has.

>>> Off topic
    I know we have enough of them (or do we?) but wouldn't that building make a cool pub.
    >>> Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not going into EJ's anyhow, i would have heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not going into EJ's anyhow, i would have heard.

Maybe they don't want you to know??:D

How'd the wedding go?

Maybe Gillie, but can't see EJ's moving from there, they need alot of space to keep high stock levels and to prob buy in bulk cheap so can't see it.

Wedding was brilliant, everything went brillantly and the honeymoon was also class.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and the honeymoon was also class.
    Good on ya ;).

I take it you got married. if so I don't know whether to offer congrats or condolences but good luck anyhow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Going slightly off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Sorry. I promise to behave in future :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers muffler, sorry about the off topic but it was Gillies fault i swear !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bobcar61 wrote: »
    :D
    muffler wrote: »
    Sorry. I promise to behave in future :rolleyes:
    You should know better. :p
    Cheers muffler, sorry about the off topic but it was Gillies fault i swear !!
    Aye, blame Gillie. :D

Back on topic, Halifax opened in Letterkenny and it wasn't in the old ESB building.

Eh.
    *thinks quickly*

Maybe now that he's married he'll be looking for a mortgage for halifax!

*Phew*

smashey wrote: »
    ... Halifax opened in Letterkenny and it wasn't in the old ESB building.

Bank of Scotland (Ireland) must be keeping the buildings for something else so, maybe even Bank of Scotland (Ireland) branches.

Just after doing a bit more searching there and discovered that they didn't actually buy the ESB building in Sligo but they seem to have purchased the rest.
    The ESB shop on Castle Street is to close its doors later this year. However, unlike its counterparts elsewhere, it will not be taken over by the Bank of Scotland.
    Up to 50 staff will be moving to the company's recently expanded offices in Cranmore.
    ESB stores around the country are being sold off and in most cases the Bank of Scotland.
    But in Sligo's case the Bank has said they are not moving into the ESB premises as they have earmarked another location in the town.
    As of now the future of the building is not yet known but is likely to be a much sought after premises due to its location and high profile. ... ...
    Full Weekender Article Here

Little more on the Halifax / ESB branch network. No longer relevant since the question was about Sligo and we now know it doesn't count there.
    Halifax :: Who We Are

Other than this it seems we'll just have to wait and see. Although I think the corner of Harmony Hill and John St would be a nice location and building, minus the parking. Mind you, you'd be hard pushed to find any location in Sligo with that sorted fully.

There was an ad on one of the billboards in Dunnes Stores car park for Bank Of Scotland saying "now open in O'Connell Street Sligo".

The ad has since been removed!

There are numerous buildings around the town to suit the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It said in the Sligo post that they are hoping to open in the new year, have they been reading our posts again?
    Hi Sligo Post!!:D

Advertisement