Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused!!!!

• 18-10-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi All, I'm currently doing the B.A from Oscail, with the goal of completing all 6 modules in Psychology (and the remainder of the modules in Sociology to finish the degree). On the Oscail website, it says:

"Graduates of the Oscail BA who have completed six modules in Psychology may, when they graduate, apply to the British Psychological Society (BPS) for consideration of eligibility for Graduate Membership and the Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR), and the BPS will consider their eligibility on an individual basis according to the criteria applicable at that time."

In another thread on this forum, eth0_ the mod, replied to someone saying that this degree wouldn't "give you the graduate recognition you need if you want to become a professional psychologist"

I never intended on finishing the degree, and becoming a professional Psychologist as further education is obviously required. To that end, I intend to undertake the masters from Trinity College in Applied Psychology with a view of completing some sort of doctorate..now, the entry requirements for the masters are a 2.1 and a degree that confers "eligibility for membership of the Psychological Society of Ireland or equivalent professional body (in the case of overseas applicants)"

Assuming I meet all the criteria and become a Graduate member of the BPS, will my degree classify me as eligible to do the Masters seeing as (a) eth0_'s post says otherwise and (b) The requirement for overseas students is membership of an equivalent body (of which I'm assuming the BPS is) even tough, I'm not technically an "overseas" student?

And even then, would me not having a full on degree in Psychology, limit my future career and educational prospects even if I had a masters in Applied Psychology? As in, would I be less eligible to undertake a doctorate in Clinical Psychology or a related field?Also, in regards to eth0_'s post, to what level would one have to be educated in order be recognised as a professional psychologist?

Thanks for taking time to read all that, I hope I've gotten my questions across clearly!

[EDIT]

I tried looking at the BPS website for some more information, but its down at the moment....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

Hi All, for those of you looking for the answer to the main point of the above post, it's yes. The above course allows you eligibility to sit the BPS Graduate test and should provide you with enough knowledge to pass, thus allowing you Graduate membership of the society. That in turn will allow you to enroll in Psychology masters and eventually Doctorates.

Advertisement