Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Van on N4

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I was driving inbound on the N4 this evening at around 5 o' clock and just past the fixed speed camera at the Spa Hotel there was a Gatso van hidden in the bushes! It was just before the on-slip at Lucan, a couple of hundred yards past the camera. I mean WTF!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep seen it too, didn't get caught though, speed was grand due the the fixed one.

A while ago I think I was caught by one before the fixed camera, I mean right as you come off the M4... joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Chiron wrote: »
    I was driving inbound on the N4 this evening at around 5 o' clock and just past the fixed speed camera at the Spa Hotel there was a Gatso van hidden in the bushes! It was just before the on-slip at Lucan, a couple of hundred yards past the camera. I mean WTF!

it's a bit obvious really. people who are speeding slow down for the camera and once past it put the boot down again. pretty clever eh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that should save around 368 deaths a year.

them murderous idiots doing 90kmph between the camera and the traffic lights.

tbh , speeding is speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

here we go..... the PC brigade are out.......

you consider 100kph on the N4 as dangerous as 75 in a 50 zone past a primary school?

"speeding is speeding" my arse.

its tax collecting when they have a gatso on that stretch.

EDIT: I should add; I don't condone or practice speeding. But I feel some of the positioning of gatsos and speed cameras is pointless and amounts to little more than tax collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

quarryman wrote: »
    Quite right. To coin a phrase: they should leave ordinary decent speeders alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Quite right. To coin a phrase: they should leave ordinary decent speeders alone.

Precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

here we go..... the PC brigade are out.......

you consider 100kph on the N4 as dangerous as 75 in a 50 zone past a primary school?

EDIT: I should add; I don't condone or practice speeding. But I feel some of the positioning of gatsos and speed cameras is pointless and amounts to little more than tax collection.

Well said quarryman! :D

A friend of mine thinks she may have been over the speed limit when she passed by. When will she get a fine if she was over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Depends on how much over she was. 15 kph over on her speedo may be OK, anything 10k over or less is usually ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Yeah she thinks she was over by about 10kph and maybe 15kph max. I don't know why she's so worried she hasn't got any points so far?? :confused:

She'll just have to wait and see... ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Its very simple - if you object to paying money to the "tax collecters", don't go over the posted speed limit.
    You can't whistle and chaw meal, boyo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its not tax collection if your doing the correct speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

miju wrote: »
    tbh , speeding is speeding

So 5kmh over the limit is the same as 50kmh over the limit? The type of road doesn't matter? Same offense, same fine, same penalty points, same punishment?

It's also illegal to be drunk in public. I wonder if posters with this attitude would feel the same if the guards waited outside the pubs and fined everyone who came out and was drunk. What if they sat in the pubs and prosecuted the publican for serving drunk people? If they did there would be no pubs left with a licence in the country. And you would have no arguement against it either, cos after all, the law is the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its not tax collection if your doing the correct speed.
    Tax collection is now illegal in this manner on the Mainland and will soon be here please god!

And just in case anyone here is not aware of this. Apparently the Irish gatso van's may be challangeable in court due to the camera's manufacture's guidlines on how its meant to be used ie NOT BEHIND A WINDOW OF A VEHICLE. How can a camera correctly measure a speed of a passing vehicle throught the mucky window of a transit? (and your going to tell me the windows are clean and the glass is correctly tempered for the lens:D)

So 5kmh over the limit is the same as 50kmh over the limit? The type of road doesn't matter? Same offense, same fine, same penalty points, same punishment?

Yes they are the exact same except for the difference in the stopping distance which is considerable. But for example going even 130kmh adds another 60ft to your stopping distance which could be the difference between crashing and not. Or in a built up area that miniscule 5mph over the limit in a built up area adds an extra 30ft to your stopping distance which could be difference between hitting a car or anything that runs out onto the road (be it an animal or god forbid a kid). OK granted having to slam on the brakes on a national road / motorway is unlikely but if the pileups over the last while highlight anything its that these situations can occur.

person-dry.gif

Speeding is "OK" when nothing out of the ordinary happens which is probably 99.9% of the time. It's that 0.1% when something out of the ordinary does happen that can cause life changing circumstances for everyone involved.

It's also illegal to be drunk in public. I wonder if posters with this attitude would feel the same if the guards waited outside the pubs and fined everyone who came out and was drunk. What if they sat in the pubs and prosecuted the publican for serving drunk people? If they did there would be no pubs left with a licence in the country. And you would have no arguement against it either, cos after all, the law is the law.

If your going to try use a stupid point to try and rationalise your argument at least know what your talking about which in this case it's obvious you've know clue as you'll see here.

Regarding being drunk on a licensed premises
    A 'drunken person' is someone intoxicated to such a degree that they may endanger themselves or other people..........if you are requestedto leave a licenced premises by the licence holder or a member of the Gardai, you must do so. Failure to leave when requested can mean you may receive an on-the-spot fine of 300 euro for a first offence and 500 euro for any subseqent offences. You may also be arrested by the Gardai.

Bit of a difference there to your "Garda arresting people in the pub comment" and as for the being drunk in public :rolleyes:
    it is an offence for you to be so drunk in a public place that you could reasonably be presumed to be a danger to yourself or to anyone around you........While there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public, each local authority area is entitled to pass bye-laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol in a public place.[/b]

So think thats your point down in flames there. At the end of the day your no different to any other user on the road and haven't got an exemption to speed be it 1kmh or 50kmh over the limit.

As you said the law is the law

Yes they are the exact same except for the difference in the stopping distance which is considerable. But for example going even 130kmh adds another 60ft to your stopping distance which could be the difference between crashing and not. Or in a built up area that miniscule 5mph over the limit in a built up area adds an extra 30ft to your stopping distance which could be difference between hitting a car or anything that runs out onto the road (be it an animal or god forbid a kid). OK granted having to slam on the brakes on a national road / motorway is unlikely but if the pileups over the last while highlight anything its that these situations can occur.

I do not disagree with any of the above. The poster i was responding to made the statement "speeding is speeding". My understanding of this is that if you are 1kmh or 100kmh over the limit you deserve the same punishment. I was questioning the poster on this to clarify if this is what they meant.
    If your going to try use a stupid point to try and rationalise your argument at least know what your talking about which in this case it's obvious you've know clue as you'll see here.
    Well according to this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/public-order-offenses-in-ireland it is an offence to be intoxicated in a public place. The guard is the person who decides if you fit into the category of being intoxicated.
    Section 4 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 deals with the offence of being intoxicated (that is, drunk) in a public place. This provision replaces Section 9 of the Dublin Police, Act, 1836. While the maximum fine for being intoxicated in a public place in Ireland is €127, the section gives the Gardai the power to seize the intoxicating substance (normally, the alcohol) where they suspect that an offence of being intoxicated in a public place is being committed.

Section 4 has been amended by section 184 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 (pdf) which provides for a fixed charge fine instead of court proceedings for being intoxicated in a public place. This fixed charge fine, currently €50, may be set and varied by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
    Now be honest, if you stood in temple bar, or the main street of any town in Ireland, there would be a large amount of people who would fit the bill of being intoxicated. If someone has the view that the law is the law and should be enforced then do you agree that all those intoxicated people should be given a €50 on the spot fine?

Regarding being drunk on a licensed premises

Bit of a difference there to your "Garda arresting people in the pub comment" and as for the being drunk in public :rolleyes:
    It is now an offence under the 2003 Act to supply alcohol to a drunken person and to admit a drunken person to a bar. (A 'drunken person' is someone intoxicated to such a degree that they may endanger themselves or other people).
    I see people all the time being served when they are "a danger to themselves". If the cops were to sit by the bar in any city centre pub they would see the same thing

So think thats your point down in flames there.

Erm really, well if you say so. Since when do you have the last word on everything?
    At the end of the day your no different to any other user on the road and haven't got an exemption to speed be it 1kmh or 50kmh over the limit.

As you said the law is the law
    Simplistic view just like the other poster

Simplistic view just like the other poster

so in other words you completely disregarded my post about speeding / stopping distances. and you say it's me being simplistic :rolleyes:

so in other words you completely disregarded my post about speeding / stopping distances. and you say it's me being simplistic :rolleyes:

If you read above you will see I commented on that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bbability wrote:
    Tax collection is now illegal in this manner on the Mainland and will soon be here please god!
    You mean mainland Europe, yeah? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement