Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter clothing

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get some clothing for the winter i.e Bib tighs and a good jacket .
    i was looking at some assos's gear on the superstore but it seems very expensive, Is it worth the extra few bob to buy assos and have any experience with it. Also i hate the cold and always wear too many layers even in the summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Assos is meant to be very good. I bought a pair of bib tights on Saturday but haven't been able to test them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I remember seeing a link on this forum to a very nice jacket, it was a breathable long sleeve grey jacket. I think it may have been waterproof. It was pretty expensive though, maybe £90 or something. Anyone remember the one I'm thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I would highly recommend http://probikekit.com They are based in Lancashire but do free delivery to Ireland. I've bought about 400 Euro worth of gear off them in the past few months and am very happy. I bought a Liquigas winter jersey http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C9911 off them for 61 Euro plus UK VAT so about 70 in total. It is made by Santini which is a very good Italian brand. If it does not fit, you can always ship it back and get a different size. You'll just pay for the shipping but it will still come out cheap. They also have plain clothing if team logos are not your thing.

If you have to go a physical store, Cycleways has a fair collection. They have Assos too but it is just too expensive for my taste :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Assos gear is worth the money. Toasty as can be.

Need proper gloves and shoes/overshoes as well though, getting soaked and freezing feet/hands can negate the best of jackets/leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've also found the Cannondale winter jackets quite good. I usually have a Helly Hanson base layer on underneath and it's all I need. The legs usually don't get cold, but my feet do. I bought Shimano winter boots last year, but they only work up to a point. My feet usually end up numb and cold. Neoprene overshoes certainly help. I've just bought some non-neoprene overshoes, they are more like socks, but I haven't had the chance to test em out yet as it hasn't been cold enough. It's also a good idea to get shoes with plenty of room so that the blood flow is not restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cormie wrote: »
    I remember seeing a link on this forum to a very nice jacket, it was a breathable long sleeve grey jacket. I think it may have been waterproof. It was pretty expensive though, maybe £90 or something. Anyone remember the one I'm thinking of?
    I have the Altura Stream jacket in yellow. It was ~65 euro in Cycle Superstore but the only jacket I see there now is the Altura Night Vision jacket for 98 euro.

The Altura Stream is windproof and somewhat water resistant as a result. It's snug and worked for all but the coldest days (with appropriate base layers underneath).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Assos stuff is quite good but i feel its over priced i have been using Nalini team wear for two years mainly the cofidis one the main problem i suffer with is cold feet so what i done was a pair of addidas over shoes the wind proof waterproof ones and i also wear sealskinz socks works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Assos gear really is top-notch stuff but so bloody pricey. Sadly the only Assos things I have are a pair of arm-warmers which a I got in Madigans, Carrickfergus beards ago. In the cold I make do with a pair of Giordana bib tights, a mesh vest, a pair of bib-shorts over that, with a wind-stopper vest over that, the arm warmers, then a long-sleved cycling top and finally a short-sleeved cycling top. If it's particularly cold I'd stick on a tight long-sleved t-shirt before the long-sleved cycling top. It's quite ridiculous really - there's probably one single Assos top I could buy that means I wouldn't have to go out dressed like an onion and wearing a kgs worth of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I bought a pair of Edura padded bib tights last year from chain reaction cycles for the winter and they were comfortable and really warm so i think im going to stick with them for the time being,

im going to buy this jacket
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9261

and another pair of the same tights cant hurt to have an extra pair

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9280

I have decided that being assos is too good for a student

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Hi,

I bought a pair of Cannondale bib tights from chainreactioncycles. Excellent quality, have been caught a couple of times in showers, and water rolled right off. A little warm, but great for the early morning commute. They were discounted and the last time I looked they still were.

Sizing is the only thing, as I normally take a large, the large was abit too small, but I feel the xlarge would have been too big. I usually stay away from the Irish stores (web and walkin) as you can usually find cheaper gear online even with shipping costs and in some cases there's a better range. The extra cost instore, generally doesn't buy you any extra customer service or advice either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement