Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute at Christmas

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Anyone here going to the Institute in Dublin for the Christmas break Revision Courses? I was thinking of doing them, but I'm just wondering are they actually worth the money. My friend was saying to me today that he is going and it is costing him €600 for 4 subjects. Thats quite a lot of money for only a week.

Anyone here do it previous years....did you think it was beneficial and worth the money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

But it's Christmas!

Christmas is a time for peace and joy and happiness and doubling one's prozac dosage. Please spend Christmas with family and friends and poor people and your pharmascist. It's what God would have wanted if he existed.

:)

But seriously, you have teachers at school and they're to teach you. Now all you need to do is to learn, not hand over money to the Institute. You're better than that, get out your textbooks and just do it ffs. Haven't you ever seen Legally Blonde? Did she go to the institute? You bet your sweet ass she didn't. She got those books and that orange laptop and she got jiggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

ryanairzer wrote: »
    But seriously, you have teachers at school and they're to teach you. Now all you need to do is to learn, not hand over money to the Institute. You're better than that, get out your textbooks and just do it ffs.

Your teachers were there to teach you today ryanairzer, while you were looking up dodgy middle-aged men on the internet. If you'd been there maybe you'd have learnt something too. The OP is asking for advice. Forgive me, but I don't think you're the best person for giving advice on school and study.

OP, if you sat down for one hour every night just writing out the main points from your classes that day you'd probably know more than what'll be in the notes the Institute'll give you, and it'll sink in easier. That said, the L.C. is all about points and if you really think you need that extra bit of spoon-feeding information, or you have a particularly weak subject or a particularly bad teacher, then by all means go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Don't go near that Money spinner they call The Institute of "Education".
    Such Irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I'm actually doing a grinds course at the mo somewhere out in the country & we actually have students FROM the institute in our class.

Think that says it all really.

I managed to get my hands on the Institute revision notes for one course & for the money paid for the course, I certainly don't think they were worth it.

But that's just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Wait till lemansky gets here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Last year I managed to get my hands on notes from the institute and I was not impressed at all. It's no better than any other place. People just assume it's good because 'it must be-it's the institute'. The people who come out of there with a million points would've gotten that anyway, really.

The same goes for grinds. Notes from grinds are meant to be snappy so as you can revise them, they are not meant to be your textbook re-worded, and slapped onto a load of photocopied pages.You'd do just as well getting grinds anywhere else, and sure you might get more attention somewhere else, which ultimately will do you more good than just being ONE face.

One guy came out of the institute after last Christmas and he was full of the joys of the 'class notes' and how he knew how to do every question and what was going to come up. Did he ever look at the notes again?No.Too long. Did he do well in the exam in question?No.He only felt like he was getting better preparation, but he wasn't. He just thought he was because hey, its the 'tute'.

The fact is, for all the detail you go into in these revision courses, you could achieve just as much yourself, or if you needed help, by getting normal grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dont!

its an evil money grubbing hell hole:D

seriously thought he lure of town may prove to strong for the easily distracted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I go there on Saturdays because I take one of my subjects there. I don't think it's worth the money to be honest. Anywhere else would have been just as good.
    seriously thought he lure of town may prove to strong for the easily distracted

What lure? It smells of car fumes and cigarettes, a smell that makes me physically sick. I can't wait to get home from the place. =/

Davidius wrote: »
    What lure? It smells of car fumes and cigarettes, a smell that makes me physically sick. I can't wait to get home from the place. =/

just because your a mutant from wicklow doesnt mean other people dont like town

i was talking to lads in my year (ive never done grinds there) aound the easter before the junior cert two years ago, and very few of them went into their classes first thing, istead wandered off into town to buy smokes and other things that are more easily procured in town

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I did a revision course in Galway over Christmas of my Leaving cert year. I did it because I knew deep down that I would not hav done any study over the Christmas holidays if left to my own devices!But to be honest it was no where near as expensive.
    If you think you will study on your own over the holidays I say dont bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

dont do it not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whateva eva eva

I hate the way people criticise the institute when they clearly know nothing about it. Firstly the notes are designed to aid a student who has already attended the classes. They are written in a way that is accesible to the teacher and compliment the way in which he or she teaches the course. I.E after you've attended the class you adjust to the teachers understanding of the course and therefore the notes become perfectly accessable to suit you.

Some people go in with the an attitude that the notes are what make the institute great but they're very wrong. If you don't listen in class or you treat them as a note collecting service, like many do, you're a fool! What makes the school great is the standard of teaching.

I'm in the institute repeating. Last year, in my old school alot of people (me included) skipped off classes to study on their own. In the institute I honestly wouldnt dream of it. The lectures are inspirationally good.The teachers actually know how to teach, not just recite a book or give homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

I agree with ya.. I love the institute.. it was alot better then any other school I have ever been to and there has been a good few.

teachers dont preach they are sound interested and dont resent the fact they are there.
    i felt i learned alot not only education wise but socially aswell
    dont knock it till ya tried it...

or at least sat through one of jean kellys maths classes.... shes a pure beast.. wouldn have passed maths without her... she made algebra really simple... related it all back to a subject every student loves... SEX!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

didnt bother reading the rest of the answers but i went last year to the easter revision course. i can say that biology wit joe was good the notes were really good went up extremely in points from economics , english was good enough too. Economics notes good but the classes werent too brilliant , if ya can try and get the notes it would be good , but the classes were only alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 efm401

its not da notes u go 2 da institute for im going there for 6th year and the teachers there are ten times better than teachers in other schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

efm401 wrote: »
    its not da notes u go 2 da institute for im going there for 6th year and the teachers there are ten times better than teachers in other schools

Every school has crap teachers, but to say the teachers are 10 times better is a bit silly to be honest.
    The place gets far more attention than it deserves tbh.
    At the end of the day, it is down to the individual.

Do not freely hand over money to those notes factories,just study from a book and exam papers.
    I have some copies of the IOE notes copied from a friend, and they are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be.
    Believe me, you will understand where I am coming from when you start College.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Only get grinds if you are finding a subject hard to understand. If you're thinking of getting grinds just because there's a load of stuff you don't know, then I think spending the hour and a hour doing serious study would be a lot more beneficial to you.

I'm doing Physics revision course in the insitute during christmas, but that's because there's a lot of things that I'm really having trouble getting my head around...and I hope this will help.
    (kinda annoying that they take Physics as two subjects, but oh well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I don't know how helpfull one week can be and it does seem steep but I do know that I have the best poetry, chemistry, accounting, german and Maths teacher ever. I don't know which teachers do the courses and there are a few bad teachers so I'd find out first before spending that amount.

efm401 wrote: »
    the teachers there are ten times better than teachers in other schools

not true (not school spirit or pride implied here but) one of the teachers in my school teaches english in the institute, and there are other teachers who have gotten offers to teach there but they stay here (biology being a clear example)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

im in college and i went to grinds for english and maths in the "tute"

the notes i got all through the year were given out at the christmas course and that course was alot cheaper than what i paid for grinds.

the english was excellent-i put in little or no work and got an A1

the maths was awful-i worked my ass off and got a B1

moral of story-depends on which institute teacher you get,what subject you do and how much effort you put in yourself.

different strokes for different folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If you need the institute you're an inadequate human being.

Seriously though, €600 for a week is a complete rip and a total waste of money. Get the "oh I'm just not motivated enough, I need to be spoonfed and it's grand because my parents will pay for it" mentality out of your head and try actually doing some work for a change. You'll be much better off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Seriously though, €600 for a week is a complete rip and a total waste of money. Get the "oh I'm just not motivated enough, I need to be spoonfed and it's grand because my parents will pay for it" mentality out of your head and try actually doing some work for a change. You'll be much better off in the long run.

Wow. Just wow.

On the JC 2K3 meter, that post just scored:

|

Look... it's broken...

Seriously though, €600 for a week is a complete rip and a total waste of money. .
    have you done the grinds?if not that you cant say if theyre are a waste of money.for some people(me) its the difference between getting into the course you want and a course you dont want.pretty valuable i think.
    Get the "oh I'm just not motivated enough, I need to be spoonfed and it's grand because my parents will pay for it" mentality out of your head and try actually doing some work for a change.

I know i worked hard in my sixth year of school, but I needed that extra push when it came to english because an awful teacher had left me completely dissillusioned by it..

fair play to you if you one of those people who can motivate themselves or need no extra help whatsoever, you should get a medal your amazing...but not everyone is as wonderful as you and may need some extra help.im not talking about doing every sinlge subject btw, that is a bit ridiculous..

sure, there are lots of people with the "my parents will pay for my lack of effort attitude" but there are just as many people who do all they can and it comes to a point where they could do with a hand.

grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ballerina wrote: »
    grow up
    Just to clarify, that WAS a joke.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    sure, there are lots of people with the "my parents will pay for my lack of effort attitude" but there are just as many people who do all they can and it comes to a point where they could do with a hand.
    My personal belief is that they aren't doing all they can, and if they were, they would get the same results regardless of whether they attended the institute or not.

Fair enough if you disagree, but I'm still entitled to give my opinion.

Though just to clarify my position on the matter, if the institute were free, I wouldn't be opposed to it. While I still think that ideally students should work as independently as possible, at least those with less motivation wouldn't be entitled to extra tuition on the basis that their parents had the money to pay extortionate fees for it.(oh btw, if anyone is going to reply with a "life isn't fair" comment, please, just go away.)

Just to clarify, that WAS a joke.

ah yea i realise that sorry you got me at a bad time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I've experience of how the Insitute works, the teachers are the same as other teachers who are inspired, the only difference is you have more of them. I really think any student can do well with a little guidance & positivity. The notes will NOT get you the grades. That said, I chose to teach in a less known school that does magical work. YOU get the results, not the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

That said, I chose to teach in a less known school that does magical work.

Hogwarts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

ZorbaTheZ FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This thread seems to have gone of its purpose and descended into a question of paying for school, a subject extensively covered a few months ago...

No point doing institute for maths imo, if your finding it tough one on one grinds would be far more benefical. Its good for others but its usefullness depends on the subject in doing a week long course as opposed to regular grinds. I personally wouldn't bother doing it at Christmas but if you want to pay 600 euro to force you to study that you probably wouldn't if you were left to your own devices, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

Looking for any decent LC Accounting notes!! Will pay!

mail me pwalshe@gmail.com

Advertisement