Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit litter

Options
  • 18-10-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Our rabbit is going through a litter tray change at least once a day (we use ripped up newspaper) and it's messy, laborious and a waste. So, I've read that wood pulp is a good alternative but am not sure where to get it. Ideally I'd like to get a big bag of it but should I go to a pet shop? Am based in Dublin and will probably be in pet superstore over the weekend, or is somewhere else preferable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I use wood pellets for cat litter - not sure if you mean the same thing - but large bags are widely available in bigger pet shops and garden centres.

I saw a huge bag for sale in Woodies the other day - as fuel for a wood burner - it looks exactly the same of the cat litter stuff - but maybe its worth getting more advice in case there is something toxic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

MsFifers wrote: »
    I use wood pellets for cat litter - not sure if you mean the same thing - but large bags are widely available in bigger pet shops and garden centres.

I saw a huge bag for sale in Woodies the other day - as fuel for a wood burner - it looks exactly the same of the cat litter stuff - but maybe its worth getting more advice in case there is something toxic in it.

Thanks for the reply, not sure if wood pellets are what I'm after. How much do you pay for the bag you use and how long does it last? Our rabbit needs changing at least once a day! Something absorbant will do the trick and something I can then chuck into the composter is the ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well a really large bag (can't remember the weight sorry! - the size of a one of those big bags of spuds you get in the supermarket) costs about e20 and lasts my two cats (2 litter trays) about 3 weeks. I know you can get even bigger bags, but I can't actually carry them so haven't bothered with those.

When they wee on it, it kind of breaks down into sawdust so I just scoop that bit away and leave the rest (obviously scoop away solids also!).

Although - cats and rabbits toileting habits may not be comparable, so not sure this is of any help! I used to have a pet rabbit as a child and I do remember dealing with soggy newspapers alright - not ideal.

If you're going to a pet superstore at the weekend - they should have some advice & options for you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Newspaper gets soggy and smelly really quickly and has very little absorbancy, try a purpose made litter instead. One thing I have learned with litter is that you get what you pay for, the more expensive ones are better value because they are more efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

I use Beauticat for my bunny and I change the soiled bit at the back once a day, and then add some to the front so its kinda like a cycle thing:D I have so far found it to be the best on the market but a ten litre bag costs €15. There is also Cat's best which is slightly cheaper (you can get it in Blanchardstown and on zooplus) but I found the pee seemed to go straight through and not actually get absorbed also she seemed to feel like digging in that stuff a little more than Beauticat (she ends up peeing on plastic):p You can also use corn kernals as litter but I have never come across them for sale....I am just about to look up where you can get Beauticat (or if ) on the internet I'll update.:D

• Advertisement

Bainne2 wrote: »
    I use Beauticat for my bunny and I change the soiled bit at the back once a day, and then add some to the front so its kinda like a cycle thing:D I have so far found it to be the best on the market but a ten litre bag costs €15. There is also Cat's best which is slightly cheaper (you can get it in Blanchardstown and on zooplus) but I found the pee seemed to go straight through and not actually get absorbed also she seemed to feel like digging in that stuff a little more than Beauticat (she ends up peeing on plastic):p You can also use corn kernals as litter but I have never come across them for sale....I am just about to look up where you can get Beauticat (or if ) on the internet I'll update.:D

beauticat i presume is safe for them to eat? I know it's not meant for eating but if they do they won't get sick right? Also, is it compostable? Thanks for all replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

chabsey wrote: »
    beauticat i presume is safe for them to eat? I know it's not meant for eating but if they do they won't get sick right? Also, is it compostable? Thanks for all replies.

Yep, I think so anyways.....like you when I started using it I was concerned what would happen if she ate some, I al almost certain it says that it is safe if digested, its just wood and it doesn't clump...very important not to get a clumping one. Also its not as dusty as some others I've used...just the little bit at the end which you even get in rice crispies:p And yes it is defintly compostable:D Or else Ballyogan Dump are going to have some major trouble in their green waste department;)

I looked on the internet for a cheaper price but the only ones I could find are in the uk and when you worked out postage to Ireland it ended up dearer:mad::confused: So I think I'll just try make a deal wiht thte local petshop:rolleyes: If I promise to buy off you can I have them half price:cool::p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We get ours in Atlantic - its called Tact the big bag is €20 and they do a smaller one too. It has a cat on the front but it says on the side that you can use it for rabbits and guinea pigs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

chabsey wrote: »

I dunno if you meant to become sick or to vomit but if you meant the latter, rabbits, like horses, cannot vomit ;)

Nala wrote: »
    I dunno if you meant to become sick or to vomit but if you meant the latter, rabbits, like horses, cannot vomit ;)

Weird...didn't know that. In the end I asked for Beauticat but was told it isn't stocked any more and instead they recommended Tact. However, went to a different shop and bought this stuff called Woody, which is wood pellets which become saw dust when wet. Tried it and it's amazing the difference, can be changed gradually as well so no more soggy paper. Rabbit doesn't eat it either which is good.

Thanks for all tips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement