Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Non-Mandatory' Cycle tracks

Options
  • 18-10-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

I was perusing the statutory regs as one does on an autumn evening when I was struck by this definition in SI181/1997, I've highlighted the critical parts.
    Cycle Track.
    26. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 022 shall—
    (a) indicate the right hand edge of a cycle track where it forms part of a roadway, and
    (b) consist of a continuous white line approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide.

(2) Traffic sign number RRM 023 shall—
    (a) indicate the right and left hand edges of a cycle track where it forms part of a footway, and (b) consist of continuous white lines approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide and spaced approximately 1 metre apart.
    Have I missed something or does this mean that 'cycle tracks' on roadways must have RRM022 (continuous white line) markings or they're not legally cycle tracks at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I was perusing the statutory regs as one does on an autumn evening...

no. please no. there has to be a better use of your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

niceonetom wrote: »
    no. please no. there has to be a better use of your time.
    Hmm, yes, I was thinking of going down to the city quays with my measuring tape.

The length, width and distance between the white lines in along the new 'cycle lanes' needs checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note the amendments in the 1998 regs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Do you mean SI 274/1998? It does not amend the provisions of SI181/1997 where the markings are defined.

It refers to situations where RRM023 is on a roadway, but as far as I can see there is no legal provision for the use of RRM 023 on a roadway unless SI181/1997 has been superceded.

As far as I can see, RRM 023, the broken white line described in the SI, can only be used on footways.

Advertisement