Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker - Match Fixed

Options
  • 18-10-2007 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Did anyone hear about the betting patterns in the game two nights ago between Maguire and Hawkins. Basically with this round robin style, Maguire was already through, but Hawkins needed a win to secure a place in the knock out phase. Hawkins was trading at 1.1 on betfair before the off. Realistically Hawkins should have been a 2.5 shot.

Maguire and Hawkins are good friends as well and there was obviously a set up involved here. Doesnt look like anything will be done about it though.

I think im just pissed off that i didnt see it before hand and lump on a bookies price....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I assume Hawkins won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I assume Hawkins won?

sorry, yeah he won 4-1 but apparently Hawkins was complete crap, so obviously Maguire had to play even worse. Missing easy pots and trying to put on a look of disgust.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I saw a couple of frames and it looked extremely dodgy.

However I'm not sure what can be done.
    Maguire was through the group already and can truthfully claim he wasn't up for the match because of this, but tried his best.
    And the betting moves are fairly meaningless really. The markets always overreact when these situations arise (and quite a lot of the time the 'conspiracy money' proves incorrect anyway, though not in this case).
    Unless they found a 'smoking gun' of someone close to either player backing/laying then I don't really see what the Snooker authorities could be expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

a 'smoking gun' of someone close to either player backing/laying then I don't really see what the Snooker authorities could be expected to do

A certain young man called Fallon springs to mind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But he's crap at snooker, don't think he'd make it through the rounds

• Advertisement
Advertisement