Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card help

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I can't decide what to go with. I have a Q6600 system all setup but I just can't decide on the graphics.

Either 2 x 8800GTS 320MB
    1 x 8800GTX 768MB

I read SLI's only very noticible in higher resolutions. But I'm leaning towards the 8800GTS SLI setup more as the card size(GTS is smaller, fits into case nicer) and it works out the same price as to go for a single 8800GTX. Also I'd imagine 2 x 8800GTS's might last a little longer then a single card for a small bit of future proofing.. ?? Looking for some nice DX10 performance.

Any tips?

Hj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I can't decide what to go with. I have a Q6600 system all setup but I just can't decide on the graphics.

Either 2 x 8800GTS 320MB
    1 x 8800GTX 768MB

I read SLI's only very noticible in higher resolutions. But I'm leaning towards the 8800GTS SLI setup more as the card size(GTS is smaller, fits into case nicer) and it works out the same price as to go for a single 8800GTX. Also I'd imagine 2 x 8800GTS's might last a little longer then a single card for a small bit of future proofing.. ?? Looking for some nice DX10 performance.

Any tips?

Hj

jaysus go for the 8800GTX 768MB. I'm pretty sure that would win hands down again 2 8800gts in SLI. Check out its reviews on Komplett:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327330

Plus it has numerous awards. I'm pretty sure you would get a buttload more performance with that one, but I could be wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely go for the GTX. Sli is always a good option later on when you can add in a second card relatively cheap, but it never works out better to buy two cards in Sli over the next model up initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

agreed a 8800gtx will be a better option. In 6 months time you can add in another one for dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

GTX it is so :p

Should i be even considering a 2900XT 512MB/1GB ??

Hj

No I think in the high end scheme of things the 8800GTX is the safest bet, the 2900Pro is one to consider for mid range but I don't think there's any huge benefit to going the 2900XT route if you're thinking about a GTX

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote: »
    GTX it is so :p

Should i be even considering a 2900XT 512MB/1GB ??

Hj

jesus no. Its simply not worth the money. Especially since you can now overclock the shaders on a 8800gtx.

HavoK wrote: »
    No I think in the high end scheme of things the 8800GTX is the safest bet, the 2900Pro is one to consider for mid range but I don't think there's any huge benefit to going the 2900XT route if you're thinking about a GTX

Well the 2900XT is around 360 euro's. Thats in between the 8800GTS and the 8800GTX price wise. But still you's recon Just get the 8800GTX if I can afford it.

What I am worrying is, is the 8800GTX powerful enough ? I see a few people like anti and various different boards.ie members with 2 x 8800GTX's. Seems quite common. Do you guys get much much more power from 2 ?

Hj

2 isn't necessary if you're playing on an anyway normal resolution. A single GTX will eat anything at 1680x1050 and probably 1900x1200. I used to use a 320mb GTS until a month or two ago, no problem playing anything at max settings 1680x1050 even. Most people have them for a large monitor running high resolutions, but you have a bit of e-penis as well :D

Resurecting my thread from last week :rolleyes:

A question, obviously Im trying to build as cheap as possible here. For my Q6600 system.

I can get 2 x 8800GTS 320Mb in SLI (brandnew) for around €340 for both cards. Should I go for this or get a single Club 3D 8800GTX from komplett for €495? I'm really leaning towards the SLI setup for €340 as its cheaper and sounds more appealing. I'm sure 2 8800GTS's in the long run will help for newer games coming out soon (DX10) Over a single card? :o

Hj

There's also the new 8800GT to consider, coming very soon and should be extremely well priced - 250ish I think is the figure?. And should roughly equal GTS 640mb performance.Be interesting to see how they perform in sli and in relation to a single GTX.

In relation to GTS vs GTX I'd be inclined towards the GTX seeing as with 320mb Sli you're still limited to 320mb which would increasingly start to hurt in newer games. What size is your monitor?

• Advertisement

At the moment Im only using 2 x 19" LCD's (sh!t res) but Im going after a 22" or 24" widescreen in the next few weeks too. I read about the 8800GT but this offer is a one time offer I can get over the next few days.

Hj

In that case I would definitely take the GTX. If you're playing on those screens at native resolution the GTX will destroy the GTS in Sli. Though, it's a nice price, for two of them.

HavoK wrote: »
    In that case I would definitely take the GTX. If you're playing on those screens at native resolution the GTX will destroy the GTS in Sli. Though, it's a nice price, for two of them.

Agreed.

Advertisement