Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Definately unsporting behavior-the question is...who???

• 19-10-2007 8:41am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning ladies and gentlemen :D

I was playing Halo 3 last night (Lone Wolves ranked match) when I realized that the 4 other players I had entered the game with decided that this was a perfect time to all get together and start earning achievements/medals (all just gathering around each other so that players could take turns getting cheap multi-kills etc).

That left me with 3 choices...
    1) Quit the game (and lose ranking points for being a quitter)
    2) Continue the game and just stand there
    3) Play the game as it should be played

1 and 2 were not options as they would affect my ranking, so I played the game as normal. Added to the fact that I think the practice of attaining cheap medals not only cheapens the awards system, but ruins it for others who happen to join the game.

After that game, I realised that I had 3 compaints of unsporting behavior against me!!! which ruined my perfect reputation.

And although i'm not sure if this is related but I am blocked from speaking in game (I don't normally do it unless I'm with friends)-is this a result of these complaints?

So people of the Xbox forum...who was unsporting??? Me (for ruining their litle party) of them (for playing the game in a manner in which it should not be played and then reporting me)?

So who was being unsporting??? 5 votes

You, leave them be in future!
    0% 0 votes
    Them, shouldn't be done as it ruins games for everyonel else!
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I hate that kinda crap. You were in no way wrong!

Only thing that annoys me more is spawn camping in games like GRAW... Oh man that would put you on tilt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's Halo, you have to expect that kind of thing. The only way to stop assholes like that is to stop putting rankings and awards in MP games. Then they'll have no reason other than to play for fun, and everyone will be able to enjoy games again. That sort of crap is the reason I only play MP against people I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

And that is why I don't plan on buying Halo or GOW! Too many muppets playing that take it too seriously and ruin the fun element of the game. Are you part of any clans OP? There are some out there that play just for the fun, might be worth trying to join one as I'm sure you'll come across this type of behaviour again! I don't have any to recommend but maybe someone else might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

reputation doesnt matter. Its a ridiculous aspect of live, people give you bad feedback just for winning games, ignore it, move on. Or hey, you COULD have just used it to get some acheivements? Its not exactly breakin the law you know...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi everyone!

humanji, funnily enough I have only seen 2 instances of this since I started playing Halo 3. Mostly, I have found it a very good experience!

jester77, no I'm not part of any clans as I really enjoy the lone wolf games.

0ubliette, I really don't care abo the rep, but It seems that I cannot speak during games now (only before or after)-Does anyone know why this is? I presume it was because I was given the negative ratings? There is a "no entry" symbol above the score in the bottom right corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thats a pain in ass alright when the others are just there to get achievements but on the few occasions its happened to me Ive just ignored them and got on with the game.

Theres a similar thread on the Halo forum and people are saying the same thing.

By the way how did they complain against you? Was it just a message to you from them or something more?

I received 2 rude voice messages to leave them alone during the game. Then on my Gamer account, it shows 3 reports of unsporting behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

bucks, if you check in your profile on your 360 there is an option to View Rep. If you played with someone you can give them bad or good rep too. You might already know that though, but hardly anyone seems to rep in my experience.

I haven't actually gotten any bad feedback yet from playing Halo 3 online, but I got one when I played the beta, I have no idea why, I didn't smack talk or team kill or do anything odd, so I can only assume someone didn't like me killing them. They didn't even pick a category. They ruined my perfect feedback too :(

humanji, totally agree, achievements like that have no place in (ranked) multiplayer, it just causes stupid behaviour like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I really don't care abo the rep, but It seems that I cannot speak during games now (only before or after)-Does anyone know why this is? I presume it was because I was given the negative ratings? There is a "no entry" symbol above the score in the bottom right corner.

You cant talk to people in game during lone wolves matches. Its an attempt to try and stop that kind of thing, but people jsut go into private chat and do it anyway.
    Those acheivements are completely retarded tho. Most lone wolves games are only 5 people max, so trying to get stuff like overkill is almost impossible. So you can kinda see why some people would do it. I have to say i was pretty pissed off when i found out that you dont get the acheivements even in ranked team games. I had gotten the triple & quad kill and was like 'yesss!!! gimme that acheivement!' and then nothing :(
    But ive got them all now so it doesnt bother me anymore, last one left is spartan officer, should get that in a week or two of playing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Didnt know about the rep. Bit sad though if people are leaving rude voice messages just because you didnt help them get an achievement. Not much of an achievement then is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Id love to catch a few of these achievement geeks in the act and take great satisfaction out of ruining their fun :D

If they give you bad rep, who cares? Anyone that gives a second thought to online "reputation" is in need of a therapist.

As I said, I dont care about the rep as long as it didnt result in me being banned fom speaking...turns out it had nothing to do with it.

Meh, I'm just goin to keep kicking bottom when I see it going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Boosting is gay!!!!! So irritating when people do this!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

speaking in games wouldnt bother me either tbh, 90% of people I encounter are 'tards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sorry to hear that your online rep is in the toilet, FutureGuy. One of the gaming podcast did make mention of this anomaly. They pretty much just handle the situation the way you did though.

I'd be (slightly) concerned that the system Xbox Live uses to lump players together may now see you playing against idiots who have genuinely earned their bad rep.

I'd imagine that people are generally more likely to dole out bad rep scores than good rep anyway. I know I don't give out good rep scores just because nobody offended me during a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I received 2 rude voice messages to leave them alone during the game. Then on my Gamer account, it shows 3 reports of unsporting behavior.

If you really wanted, could you not report them to microsoft support or something? If you have the voice messages then it'll help. And it might feel good getting a bit of revenge, maybe even getting them banned (well, we can dream :D ). At the very least, you might be able to clean your rep. A lot of effort for nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've never seen people do it but I have had plenty of people in the lobby ask does anyone want to.
    If they did do it I'd do exactly as you did, except does that make whoever is killing them as bad, since you are basically getting free kills.....? :eek:
    Rep means next to nothing though, I'm always leaving bad feedback for people who trash talk, sing the whole way through the game etc.
    My connection at home is pretty dodgy, often dies in the middle of the game so I have lots of neg for quitting early but doesn't seem to do anything.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Rep means next to nothing though, I'm always leaving bad feedback for people who trash talk, sing the whole way through the game etc.

Me too, mostly annoying American teenagers, especially the ones that sing, they also seem to think repeatedly saying "fag" and "rape" is oooooh so funny.

FNZ wrote : I'd be (slightly) concerned that the system Xbox Live uses to lump players together may now see you playing against idiots who have genuinely earned their bad rep.

Now this is quite worrying...does this actually happen. I have only been using live for 3 weeks, so apologies for the lack of in-depth knowledge!

No, not that I'm aware of, I don't think rep affects who you play with. Well, it does in that if you give someone bad rep you're less likely to end up in another game with them, but I don't think it groups "bad rep" players together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

FNZ wrote : I'd be (slightly) concerned that the system Xbox Live uses to lump players together may now see you playing against idiots who have genuinely earned their bad rep.

Now this is quite worrying...does this actually happen. I have only been using live for 3 weeks, so apologies for the lack of in-depth knowledge!

Don't worry too much... I have no idea as to how the system works. I'm just speculating as to one possible way that Microsoft could be using the rep system.

I would understand it if they did 'lump together' people who were constantly receiving negative rep over a long period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you cant speak in lone wolves games anyway.

and who cares about your reputation? it counts for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

You could save the game in theatre and post a clip of the offenders int the act to bungie or microsoft.
    i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I personally have found that the majority of games that I play online about 80% of the people are complete idiots. This rises to about 99.9% for counter-strike though :) Its only half decent when your playing with a load of mates or on a clan server.

Well whats your definition of a complete idiot? Someone who is new to the game and learning?

I was playing TF2 a few days ago and there were a few people calling some players retards/noobs/idiots, the people giving the abuse were in a clan and it was on a public server whose title contained "fun"!
    Yet they were telling people to get off cause they were noobs, I mean its a relatively new game and there is nothing wrong with beginners trying it out.

While I agree its better to play with friends cause you know every1's level, playing a public online game in halo or whatever and giving out to people, calling them idiots for being useless really pisses me off!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

those annoy the hell out of me too, esp in the likes of dod cause I usually pick random class and when I end up with a sniper I can get a lot of nagging for the rifle.

Luckily though I havent seen much of it in Halo, although there was once where we were playing juggernaut and the person who was "it" was at the other side of the map yet some guy had a turret and kept shooting everything he saw :) not too bad but he obbviously had no idea how to play the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I find the best thing to do if you encounter people like this is to play the match as normal. That means you go out there and kill them every chance you get just to wreck the patethic little party. They'll eventually be forced to :

a) Leave the game and lose the EXP points
    b) Play the game as normal.

And don't forget that for any player that gives you a negative feedback, you can always do the same. Its sad to see such retards being allowed to use Xbox Live. Nothing better though than seeing some jumped American brat talking **** to everyone before the match, then coming last cause he's actually crap at the game.

Advertisement