Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Dream

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I am hoping that someone can help me understand what this means.

I was asleep last night and dreamt that i woke up and went to turn over in bed but there was someone just after coming into the room and was pushing my whole body, face down into the bed. I didn't feel like i was suffocating but couldn't move because of his pressure on me and also the fact that i was pretty much paralysed in fear. Tried to reach out for my OH but couldn't move my arm. Woke up very quickly and thought that the person had asbconded the room but realised that i had been dreaming. Scared the b'jaysus out of me and i was wondering does this dream mean anything. It was so real, only for the fact that my OH wakes up at the drop of a feather, i would have thought it happened and would be telling people today that someone broke into the house last night!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Stressed-out about something? Work? School? G/F or B/F? Family? Debt? Often our anxiety while awake invades our sleep in nightmares. Then again, did you have a big meal before retiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That happens to loads of people, there is some explanation, I cant think of the exact term for it at the moment but it's something to do with the chemical we release when we sleep to stop us sleep walking. If you're woken from a very deep sleep suddenly this stays in your system for a few seconds after you wake up, leaving you feeling paralysed. It's terrifying, and even knowing why it happens doesn't help you when it's actually happening! Also if you were dreaming and happened to wake suddenly while dreaming it can sometimes carry over for a few seconds, just like when you hear a "bell" in your dream but it's actually your alarm. You know, they can sometimes mix.

However if this doesn't feel right and you think there was something sinister in it then post in the paranormal or spiritual forum, or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BronX-Bunny

Hi there,
    Im not sure of the exact scientific name for this but what you're describing sounds like "Night Nurse Paralysis" (happened a lot to nurses in medical centres during WWII) which can be caused when you're over-stressed over tired etc. It's basically your body is completely asleep but for some reason your brain and eyes become alert. I say alert because although you feel completely awake and aware of your surroundings your still also dreaming and asleep (body anyway). The general concensus is the two run together so, your completely awake aware of your bedroom/surroundings but now there is someone sitting on your chest/at the foot of your bed/ or other strange events take place.
    I actually saw this happen to a mate at college. Eyes open wide awake but completely convinced aliens took him... Very real for him, but freakin funny for me ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I have it twice in the past while, I woke up and looked out my window and was looking at the stars when I noticed there was a triangular formation in the sky, as soon as I noticed they flashed like a lightbulb and I was frozen to the spot.

The other time I thought I heard someone calling me and woke up and tried to call back, but couldn't, and couldn't move any of my limbs. I tried moving my toe and all of a sudden I could move perfectely again as if nothing has happen.

It is called sleep paralysis as mentioned above, it's caused by stress and lack of sleep. I did some research after it happened to me and am quite releaved that mine wasn't particulary scary like your's and others stories I've heard. One thing you can do to stop it is to avoid sleeping on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I second the not sleeping on your back comment however I found that as soon as I became aware of that it immediately got worse whenevr I did happen to sleep on my back so I reckon a lot of it was all in my head. It happens once or twice, you start to worry about it, happens more often, you worry more..................................... viscous circle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

This happened to me a few months back. Thought I woke up and could not move for the life of me! Nothing scary are anything like previously mention, just thought I was paralsyed which actually was kinda scary. Now that I think of it I was sleeping on my back that night too! Weird, never really bothered me afterwards but cool to have it explained all the same :D:):D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Happens a lot to a friend of mine too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm gonna try induce it tonight, let you all know the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Happens to me. I go through fazes where it happens alot, and its been a while since i got it last.
    My eyes stay closed during it so i'm not sure if anyone would notice anything is happening.
    Now that i know what it is i'm fairly calm during it, but when i first got it i was petrified.
    If i could move i probably would've **** myself. I'm usually a rational guy, but i thought i was being possessed or something.

Advertisement