Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Owners' Forum on Successful Apartment Living

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:21am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dublin City Council are holding an open forum of discussion in the Atrium, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 at 7.00pm on Tuesday October 30th 2007.

A panel of apartment owners, expert in many fields relevant to apartment owners (such as Auditing; Architecture; Fire Services; Corporate Governance; Law; Insurance; Property Valuation; Building Consultancy; Planning Enforcement; Debt Collection and Sinking Funds) will present and discuss matters concerning apartment living and membership of management companies.

Admittance to the Forum is free and strictly by invitation only. The number of places is limited, with priority given to apartment owners. Please visit www.dublin.ie for further details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

This could be useful/interesting. I've registered anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Thanks for the info. I've registered.

Has anyone got a reply yet about their ticket? It's coming up quite soon and I haven't heard a word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto- no word for me either. I'm going to see if I can find a phone no. for them.

Update:

Postcard invitations will be in the post before the weekend. E-Mails will also be sent to interested parties on Friday afternoon.

So far there have been 120 responses to the survey- there are 200 places available in the forum. If you are interested and have not already done so- please hop onto www.dublin.ie and fill out the form now, you still have time.

If more than 200 people fill out the survey- preference on the forum is given to apartment dwellers.

Answers and information on the survey will determine the content of the forum- so do try to give as much information as possible.

Meeting is next Tuesday evening- so get those skates on!

Shane

• Advertisement

Just a reminder that this is on this evening.

I forgot to bring my emailed invite so I hope they let me in!

BendiBus wrote: »
    Just a reminder that this is on this evening.

I forgot to bring my emailed invite so I hope they let me in!

Pop me your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy of the e-mailed invite to you.

Kind regards,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

Could you forward one on to me as well?

kkposse wrote: »
    Could you forward one on to me as well?

Done.

I presume the Atrium will be signposted or something from the Wood Quay entrance? I'll have the secret boards handshake ready ;)

• Advertisement

I hope so- I haven't a clue where it is......

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

The Atrium is the area just as you walk in the front door of the Wood Quay entrance

I think I can manage to find that :) Cheers

So what did people think of it?

I had to leave a little early, during the architect, so I missed the end. I though it was quite interesting, could have been better in places but a good start. I wasn't keen on the idea of having it in the lobby, it was bitterly cold everytime the doors opened.

I thought it was quite productive, that couple who insisting on ambushing DCC's planner notwithstanding. A few people had hobby horses who shouldn't have been allowed vent spleen at speakers- but a lot of very useful points were made and very pertinent information imparted. It really is more of a minefield than even I had imagined. I particularly found the part about the sink fund of use- as its one area our own crowd are particularly deficient in. We're going to organise a committee meeting for next week to discuss some things that this brought up.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

smccarrick wrote: »
    I thought it was quite productive, that couple who insisting on ambushing DCC's planner notwithstanding. A few people had hobby horses who shouldn't have been allowed vent spleen at speakers- but a lot of very useful points were made and very pertinent information imparted. It really is more of a minefield than even I had imagined. I particularly found the part about the sink fund of use- as its one area our own crowd are particularly deficient in. We're going to organise a committee meeting for next week to discuss some things that this brought up.

S.

Similar response to your own, nice to have some experts and expertise to hand,

Some of the hobbyhorses and other situations made me realise how good our own situation is.

I think a lot of the printed matter will be worth reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I had to attend another seminar on Tuesday evening and I didn't manage to convince any of my neighbours to go either. Will there be something like published minutes or any future online interaction between apartment owners and DCC?

davros wrote:
    I had to attend another seminar on Tuesday evening and I didn't manage to convince any of my neighbours to go either. Will there be something like published minutes or any future online interaction between apartment owners and DCC?

Sure- they said all the powerpoint slides and speakers notes would be available to download from the main Dublin City Council website (www.dublin.ie)

S.

I thought it was good. As with all these type of meetings, there are always a couple of people want to take it over with their particular grievances.

A few interesting points, particularly the recommendation about using a solicitor with good knowledge of company law when purchasing. Felt sorry for the lady who asked a question about a developer who'd gone bust before vesting of common areas being told she was in the 'doomsday scenario' :o And 5 sales had gone through after this? 5 solicitors missed this fact? That to me was the most shocking piece of information of the evening.

Also liability insurance for management company directors was wise advice.

As a previous poster said, it made me feel good about the state of my own apartments affairs. When I purchased however, my own solicitor hadn't noticed the sorry state of affairs of the management company (and an outstanding service charge against my apartment!). It took a couple of years for it all to get back on an even keel. If I move to another apartment my next solicitor will be getting specific instruction regarding investigating the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What were the lessons learned?

What were the hobbyhorses?

• Advertisement
Advertisement